Hot Glue?

yes, hot glue isn't good for building, it gets old and the wood can pop apart. And it would melt the window plastic too. But it is good for shingling. I used Aileens fast grab glue in the purple bottle, its nice and thick. Then I taped down pieces until they were dry.

Holly,

Whenever this topic comes up you can expect several answers. Your best bet is to review them all and find what works best for you. For wood parts, I use Titebond III as it has a good hold and you don't see the yellowing or browning of some glue. I also use Elmer's Wood Glue Max. I do other woodwork and still play around with different kinds. I use basic Elmer's for the windows and use New Creations Wallpaper Gel for wallpaper and textiles.

Best of luck!

The reason hot glue is not recommended by folks who know any more is that the old kind of hot glue was much harder and did last but the newer versions will become brittle and the house will fall apart. Unfortunately a lot of the manufacturers have not updated their instructions and if you do buy any older ones it does of course reflect the old methods.

...hot glue is not good when building. Can someone explain? What is the best glue to use?

Thanks!

This is what eventually happens to a house built with hot glue:

gallery_8_1103_130685.jpg

I propped it together to take this picture. After I finished taking it apart and removed the glued-in doors and hot glued windows I rebuilt it using carpenter's wood glue for the kit and made NEW doors and windows, which I used Elmer's clear-drying white all-purpose glue to install the clear acetate. You can see the rehab here: http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/index.php?app=gallery&album=1103

• 2 weeks later...