I brought it!! Now I need some advice...

Adallae

When I began my adventure into the world of miniatures in June, I told myself I'd start with the smaller kits and work my way up. Well, it's 2 1/2 months later, and I have just confirmed an order for the Garfield. So much for taking it slow! :blink:

I ordered 'IT' from HBS, and they usual take only a week to get an order out to me, so I've got seven days to gather the courage to open the box when it gets here :D ! For anyone who has built it before, I have a few questions, if you don't mind...

First, I've heard there is a windows and doors upgrade for this kit, similar to the one I've seen for the Pierce/Anabelle. If this is true, where can buy it?

I've been doing a two step sealing and priming process with my other kits, but that might be very time consuming with this house! Does anyone know of a product that combines the two?? I've heard it exists, and I've searched my local craft store, but they don't have the greatest selection.

The kit says there are 10 rooms, but it doesn't look that way from the pictures. Is there something I'm missing?

Any words of wisdom would be wonderful! This is my dream dollhouse, and I want to make sure I am am armed with all the tools and and advice to make it so! Thanks for any help - now I'm off to ogle Garfield pictures in the gallery! :(

I ordered 'IT' from HBS, and they usual take only a week to get an order out to me, so I've got seven days to gather the courage to open the box when it gets here :blink: ! For anyone who has built it before, I have a few questions, if you don't mind...

First, I've heard there is a windows and doors upgrade for this kit, similar to the one I've seen for the Pierce/Anabelle. If this is true, where can buy it?

I've been doing a two step sealing and priming process with my other kits, but that might be very time consuming with this house! Does anyone know of a product that combines the two?? I've heard it exists, and I've searched my local craft store, but they don't have the greatest selection.

The kit says there are 10 rooms, but it doesn't look that way from the pictures. Is there something I'm missing?

There is an window upgrade kit for the garfield. I think one of the dollhouse web stores I have bookmarked sells the kits but I will have to look for it.

I don't know about a sealing and priming product except for kilz. Stinking stuff. It is an oil based primer that seals in the stains. I didn't seal any of my laurel peices, just primed after the shell was together. With the Aster I bought a trim painting kit that has a small tray and roller. I am going to prime the sheets with the roller before punching out the sheets.

I had a Garfield once that I picked up from a thrift store for $10. I had to give it up. I couldn't restore it. I wasn't enjoying it at all. Anyhow the Garfield has 11 rooms. I think the packaging says 10 plus a secret room. How are you counting the rooms? The tower room in the attic is supposed to be the bonus room.

congrats on the new house!

when I prime I use kilz spray primer comes in white and gray

I like to spray the inside and out of all the walls and I stain the kit floors

I spray them before puting the house together

you can get kilz spray at Walmart

and I dont usualy sand the main parts of the house unless there are some obvious places that needs it.

try to save steps whenever I can.

I hope you plan on taking lots of photos!

Happy Building

nutti :blink:

Angela,

Mottsminis.com carries the window upgrade kit. You may be able to have a dollhouse store in your area order it for you. DD'sGift on Ebay sometimes has the kit also. HTH

Thank you! I'll check DD's and Motts.

Congrats on the new house. Having built the garfield myself the best thing I can tell you is read the directions over and over and plan ahead (especially with all the little spaces :D ). Take it slow and you'll be fine :blink: .

There are 10 rooms and the tower room makes 11 like Holly said. This is how I think they count them by using my garfield as the example: 1st floor: living room, entry hall, dining room, kitchen. 2nd floor: hallway, bedroom, bathroom, 2nd bedroom. 3rd floor: 2 seperate spaces and then the tower room.

Hope that helps a little.

Hi Angela-

Welcome to the wonderful world of dollhouses and minatures! I have the Garfield and I opted for the working windows. LOVE THEM!! Although they aren't as sturdy as you would think, but they are still MUCH better than the non-opening windows.

There were some prior post http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/i...ost&p=25930] about the windows for the Garfield. As well as [http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/index.php?s=&showtopic=2375&view=findpost&p=33520] a post by a fellow member that lives close to me with some info about where we bought our windows. I see you live in NY Metro area. If you are close enough to the Wayne, NJ area it will be well worth your trip here to get the windows from the DH store that is here. You can get the windows on eBay for $140-$150 plus shipping costs or save some $$ and get them for about $99 from Circus Dollhouse in Pompton Plains, NJ.

OH! The number of rooms... well that all depends. You'll find out for yourself. I hadn't planned on doing any kit bashing at all, but I think we've all done a bit of bashing! Its FUN!

You can check out my pics (see my signature) on dotPhoto and I've got some in the gallery too. I just uploaded the most recent pics to a album called "Dollhouse - UPDATE 9-2-06". Good luck with your hunt for the windows and with building the Garfield.