What do you do with your finished houses?

firef2005

I'm working on finishing my Painted Lady, and it's the only house I have at the moment. I want to build a bigger house next time, and don't have a lot of room. I'm not sure if I should keep the painted lady, donate it, sell it, etc. I had thought about donating it to a realty company here in town owned by a very good friend of mine, thought it would be a cute idea for her office, but it is probably way too big. I know if I sell it I won't get back what I put into it, but that would give me some money towards my next purchase. On the other hand, not sure I want to part with something I've put so much time into. I like the house, don't really love it, but think it's turning out well. Just wanted to know what you guys do with your houses when they are finished. I'd love to have at least one large one to display, and will continue to build more I'm sure. I do have three granddaughters, (the fourth one is on her way tomorrow!) I've thought about giving it to one of them, but since they are all only a year old, that's a long time to wait. So, throw some ideas my way, and maybe I can figure out what I should do with this house.

Guest Nathaniel

I usually keep the houses I am really attached to (put a lot of time into them, or they are irreplaceable, one of a kind) and I sell the houses I didnt put a lot of time into, can sell for less money without losing money, and could replace easily if I wanted to someday. Im always buying and selling houses to make room for new ones but I have a certain few that I will never part with. :)

I too have four granddaughters. I made each of them a dollhouse, however they are not getting them until they are older. Consequently I have the Painted Lady, Princess Anne and a colonial from the basement to the upstairs. Victoria's Farmhouse made its way to New York as I knew her mother would take very good care of it. I furnished the houses with very nice pieces (and am still doing that). I enjoyed it so much that I am now building my dollhouse (Wentworth Court) and a 1/2 scale for a daughter that doesn't have children. I hope you find room to keep yours. It's beautiful!

This must be the fourth time someone has asked this (as each prior thread gets buried in pages of backlogged threads)! Whatever you feel like doing with them! I would love to keep & play with all of mine, but space, even in our new house, most definitely doesn't equal the number of kits I still have unbuilt, much less the finished houses I have now. In Havana I had access to several sources to donate finished houses to, and that's what I'm doing here in our new house. Also, when someone offers to buy one, I don't say no, but which one and how much.

This is a subject I enjoy reading about... I love building these houses and even though I live by myself in a nice size house I just simply do not have the room to keep them all. I have now completed 8 houses... 1 I gave to a co-worker (since her Mom gave me the kit), 1 I gave to my best friend, 1 I gave to my niece, 1 I sold, and 2 are currently for sale. I am thinking of selling or donating the first house I did (the Laurel with the Primrose addition) because there are others in my stash I would like to keep. I have my unfinished Glencroft (which I will never part with) sitting on my breakfast bar, and my 1/2 scale Diana (which I have no plans on getting rid of) sitting on my baker's rack.

My plan at this point is to keep building and selling what I can. I don't even really care if I "make money" on the houses; however, it would be nice to break even. Since I love building so much, the only thing I can do is to find homes for my homes.... LOL. It is hard to part with some of them until I remember the ones I still have to build :) then giving them up isn't so bad :)

I donate all my houses. Ninety percent go to children with cancer, the rest go to any fundraiser that will benefit children with life threatening diseases. If you decide to do this you can call the Human Resources Department at hospitals near you. I have kept only one house so far...it is one I built that reminds me of my parents home. I know I will eventually donate this one too but for now I like looking at it.

Good luck in whichever you decide! :D

Hi Everybody! Its been a long time since I have been in here to visit!!! I took a mini making break! Who finishes their dollhouses???? I am in the middle of trying to decide if I want to get rid of a couple of mine or what to do to make space!

Any suggestions? I hate to just give them away but I just might give one to my friend's granddaughter.

Hi, Roxy! :wave: Where have you been? We moved in August; actually, because we're moving ourselves, we're still moving; all my dhs, workbenches, toolboxes, supplies, etc are still in Havana awaiting the workshop DH promised to build me.

• Like 1

Hi Holly! Moving is a pain isn't it? Me? I just have along break from minis and doing a lot of other stuff. I have been cleaning out a lot and just getting my life together. I will get back to building soon I hope.

I've used the enforced break to decorate our RL new house and crocheted a new bathroom curtain I'm now deciding to swap for the curtains I hung in my craftroom/ guestroom and now I've begun knitting myself a dress for next winter (since this one has turned warm so early).