Painting stair spindles

mygrommi

I need tips on painting stair spindles. Is there an easy way? I primed some last night and tried to stick them to masking tape to dry, but they didn't stick well and kept falling over.

I have to hold them in my hand while painting to be sure I am getting paint into all the turned grooves.

How do you all paint these? I have lots more to prime and paint.

Renea

If I'm painting a bunch the first thing I do is ram a steel dressmaker's pin into the bottom end of each one and ram the head of the pin into whatever leftover styrofoam packing material DH's latest electronics purchase has given me. Once the spindles are dry and ready to install I take the pins out and return them to the pill bottle I keep them in until the next project.

Oh, thank you. Isn't it funny how when you are in the middle of a problem and you know there has to be an answer, but you "can't see the forest for the trees", that someone can give the answer and you think, "how simple - why didn't I think of that"!

I will be trying this tonight!

Holly, you made my day!

Renea

I used to use reverse tweezers to hold them, but that involved switching ends and I was limited to only two at a time, and about that time DH was getting lots of stuff with styrofoam packing I couldn't bear to just throw away, un-reused. I'm in awe that I stumbled by need onto a technique of the great Brooke Tucker's! :blush:

• 1 month later...

If the spindles will be the same color as the rails, first coat them between two sponges and lay them on waxed paper, moving them a few times to dry. Then sand, assemble, and second coat. It's easiest to do the sanding before assembly (I can never get why "pre-assembled rails" are preferred), and second-coating after assembly makes the rails stronger.

http://dollhousework...vel=album&id=20

Edited by doc