JBM furniture from Miniatures.com

fov

I got a Miniatures.com gift certificate for Christmas, and since I don't really need anything right now (especially not a new house!), I thought I might treat myself to a piece of JBM furniture for my still relatively naked Cypress and Fog roombox. I want something that can fit into the alcove to work as a bar (I have a bunch of liquor bottles from an unfinished other project that I want to display!)

Anyway, my first (and second, and third) choices are too wide, but I found a buffet that will fit and might look okay. I'm not head over heels in love with it, though, and even with the gift certificate (and the 25% sale they're running right now) the price is making me hesitate. I often impulse buy furniture from them and then get it and realize it's not really a good fit where I thought it would be -- but when it's a Town Square piece for $10 that's not as big a deal as a $50+ piece of furniture! So before I spend the money, I'm curious if others have bought from this line, and if you thought it was worth the price? (Also, I'd love to see pictures of JBM furniture in a setting if anyone has some!)

I have bought JBM furniture and I am very pleased with them. Unfortunately, the furniture is for a future house so still is in the box.

I would be more concerned with the fact that you are

... not head over heels in love with it
. I would think that maybe you shouldn't buy it?

B)

Judith, I know - but I have this gift certificate burning a hole in my pocket! :lol:

I really like the Art Nouveau cabinet, it's the one I had my eye on, but it won't fit. Grazhina, I looked at your site and you have some pieces that Miniatures.com doesn't, that would potentially be better for the room. Not prepared to spend that much of my own money just yet though! Maybe I'll hold onto the gift certificate for now and wait for something to really sing to me.

Miniton Miniatures has some really nice Arts & Crafts pieces that would fit well with the style of the roombox, but they're even farther out of my price range...

Not prepared to spend that much of my own money just yet though! Maybe I'll hold onto the gift certificate for now and wait for something to really sing to me.

That's why I am addicted to furniture kits! Great quality finished exactly how I want it.

If it is something simple like the color or a small thing you would change, consider refinishing/ refining it.

But if you aren't in love with it, don't spend the money on it.

I ended up getting two Mission style Bespaq pieces on eBay (not cheap, but I think they're perfect for the roombox!) And instead I spent the gift certificate on a hot tub kit for my Hillside Victorian and some other accessories for the roombox. Will post pics when everything arrives!

I have quite a few pieces of early John Baker furinture and the finish is wonderful. When I first bought a Town Squares piece from HBS I was so disapointed (the only piece I have ever sent back). The finish was so different - so shiny. I have bought a piece since and was better pleased with the finish. Also the size of the furniture is smaller than his earlier pieces. I'd say make sure you buy when there is a good (say 20%) discount.

Hope this helps.

Lisa R.

Guest Nathaniel

JBM furniture is beautiful and very high quaity! I will be selling it in my Ebay store and in my retail shop. I also sell Hansson and Bespaq and in my opinion they are all very comparable in terms of quality. :) Ive never been displeased with a purchase from JBM and they are absolutely worth the price if you are going for that "high quality" realistic look.