Another prayer request for our niece

chellebelle

Dan and I went to Fairview hospital ICU last night, where his sister Valerie's 30 year old daughter is on life support, and is thought to be brain dead. Her name is Amy, and she needs all the prayers we can get for her. She had been having extreme headache since Sunday. She saw her doctor Monday, who just gave her a shot for the pain and sent her home. She continued to have the pain, and went back, only to be given more pain meds and sent home again. yesterday morning, about 10:00 am, the pain was much worse, and she was nauseous. Her friend that is a nurse told her to go to the ER. She went, and sat for 2 hours before being seen. By then the pain was so bad she was screaming, so they did a cat scan and sent her to ICU. Shortly after she got to ICU, she went code blue when her husband left the room to talk to Dan's other niece, who works there at that hospital as a surgical tech. They put her on life support, and have a tube in her brain to drain the fluid, (over 200 CCs so far) They believe she had an aneurysm that burst, and as I said, she is thought to be brain dead. The cat scan is inconclusive. We are asking for prayers for her, her husband, her 2 children ages 3 and 5, her parents and the rest of the family. We are trying to remain hopeful, that maybe after the fluid is drained, and her brain stops swelling that she can come out of this. It's not looking good, but miracles can happen. She is such a sweet girl, and we all love her very much! So, please pray for her, and pass this along! thanks, Michelle

I'm so sorry to hear this, prayers are with you all. That is such an awful story.

But just because she is on life support, doesn't mean all is lost. Miracles still can happen. Several years ago my step-brother was on life support and declared brain dead. They took him off life support after a few days, and waited. And waited. About a day after being taken off, he woke up and asked where his mom was.

Thank you all! I agree Tracy, that's exactly what I said last night! She can still recover, despite what the doctors are infering. They can't even agree among themselves! One said she's brain dead and gone, so her husband needed to make the decision to remove the life support. Another said the fluid could be the problem, and once it's removed, she may regain brain function.

We'll be going back tonight as soon as Dan gets off work. We haven't heard anything today, but someone will if there's any change. Dan is the youngest of 10, so there are quite a few relatives there. We're taking the evening shift, so to speak.

I've been so very worried about my daughter Sarah's surgery tomorrow, and now this. I just have to believe that both will have good outcomes!

I had a colleague who had an aneurysm and the doctors told him he had strained his neck. This is whilst he is passing in and out of consciousness. He only survived because he had a young intern, who had recently worked in the neurological ward of a large city hospital (we are in the country) who saw him and suspected what was wrong and called his colleagues in the city.

He has made a full recovery so we will all keep our fingers crossed that your niece will pull through too.

Will definitely be pulling out the big guns here - megadoses of healing energy and positive thoughts for your niece. Surely her youth will stand her in good stead, and she may very well come through this.

We just got home from the hospital, although we were not able to go into ICU to see her, we were with her parents and husband for quite a while. There is a glimmer of hope, even though she is still on life support, and unresponsive. They have been doing various pain stimuli while measuring for any brain activity. During one, there was a very tiny flicker of activity for a second or so. This is the first time since she went into the code blue yesterday that anything showed. As of the time we left, the plan is to try to keep her stable with the machines doing everything for her, and go from there. The doctor did tell her husband and parents that there is room for hope if she doesn't get any worse, even though it's only a very small chance. That's better than yesterday, when the doctor was saying that the family needed to make the decision as to taking the life support off and letting her go. Any hope is better than no hope! Thank you for the prayers! Michelle

At 7:30 this evening, Amy was declared offically brain dead. The life support will be turned off as soon as everyone says their goodbye. Due to the stress of this and Sarah's surgery postponed, MS is flaring a bit so we had decided to not go to the hospital this evening. I can't believe we lost her.

An autopsy will be done to find the exact cause