Displaying the Garfield

uppitycats

I asked this question over on the general talk board, too..but since several of us here now have Garfields in various stages of completion..

how are you going to display your baby, once it's done? I'm thinking about how folks are going to be able to see the outside -- front and kitchen side of the house, for example -- and yet also see the interior?

Do you have it on a turntable, lazy susan, or somehow have enough room that folks can walk all the way around? I'm thinking that once it's decorated on the inside, turning it around by grabbing on the sides wouldn't be an option! :blink:

Mine is on a turntable for now. I have to get a bigger sheet of wood for it thought. I had it on the turntable with out any wood support at all and it bent a tiny bit. Eonough for me to notice. I now have a board under it but I think I need a larger one because I want to do landscaping.

The large turntable ring should be large enough for you to use with your dollhouse. I have designed a number of video equipment furniture with little problem. I would suggest two pieces of plywood for your base. The bottom piece will provide stability and can have felt on the bottom side so that it won't scratch any furniture you will want to place it on. It can also be a couple of inches smaller than the top piece so it won't show when the house is turned. The turntable ring is mounted in the center of this piece and the top piece of plywood goes on top of this. The turntable ring can appear difficult to mount between the two pieces of plywood but it really is quite simple. Once it has been mounted to one piece you can turn the ring and line up the holes where wood will show through. You drill these holes through the wood. Flip the piece of wood over and place it on the second of plywood. The holes will now allow you to attach the pieces together without the screws showing. If you drill a hole in the very center you can even bringyour wiring down through so that you can plug it in without wiring hanging over the side. Just be careful and not twist it two far in one direction! There is a way to "wire" the completed turntable but that gets a little more complicated than I would tackle myself, I leave that part to my husband!!!

When my garfield was at my dad's it was on a turntable, it was alright until someone would bump it or the cats would jump into the wood base then everything would shake and get knocked over. Now that it's here with us, DH made me a table for it out of 2 x 4's and plywood. It's out away from the wall so everyone can walk around it and not bump into it anymore. When he built the table I told him that I wanted a big yard so the house would be right at home (a big house needs a big yard :blink: ). It's the prominent fixture in our gameroom now B) .

Thanks for all your ideas. Starfire, I've printed out your directions...I thnk that is what my husband has in mind for mine, but he wasn't clear about how to do it, so this is very helpful!

My Garfield isn't wired, so that's not a problem..but I do want to figure out how to make it as secure as possible, as I have four cats, and at least one of them has expressed interest in exploring .. :blink: So far he's only done that when the garfield is empty..but if I start to move in furniture...

Anyway..I'm open to more ideas.... B)

I have an end table with a Television turntable on it, then the plywood "yard" then the house. It looks nice but is not very secure. I'm not happy with it. I plan to figure out a better way to secure it. I'm really worried that it could fall off. That would be a major bummer huh? This past week I've had lots of visitors with children that of course want to look at the house. I must say I was a wreck that it would fall. I've also had some suggestions on how to secure it better.

The one here about 2 pieces of plywood sound pretty good. Also was thinking about screwing the base of the turntable to the table so it doesn't shift.

Haven't had time lately but will work on that soon.

I plan to make a table that will be in the middle of the bedroom once my son moves out in 2 years. I proballt should measure to make sure that will fit in the room. ohh NO I will never be able to get the house thrugh the hall way even now while it is still small. Hmm Well then I guess some living room furniture will have to go. By the time I finish it Darrell and I will be the only ones living here so the living room can work we really do not need a tv and a couch in there anyways. I would move the piano but I decided to slowly teach myself how to play it. Yep that's it the TV and couch will have to go.

Melissa