Rough couple of weeks

chapchap73

Generally I don't like to unload about anything I'm going through because it seems minor compared to other people's problems, but the last few weeks have been pretty rough around my house. First, my dad put his back out; he is a terrible patient! He tends to whine and just be generally depressed whenever anything like this happens, so he spent 2 1/2 weeks laying down in between trips to the chiropractor. Discovered his easy chair was making it worse so he took over my mother's spot on the couch which meant she couldn't do her cross-stitch which makes her grumpy!

I had given up driving almost completely because of my MS; not being able to depend on feeling your feet tends to make it difficult :lol: but every once in a while I take a short trip(all on back roads with no traffic) Hadn't driven anywhere by myself in months, but made it to the store and my son's school calls to tell me he needs to be picked up because he hurt his foot. I find out he didn't hurt it in school, but at home the night before when he was jumping on the couch which is probably why he didn't tell me he hurt himself since that is not an activity I encourage.

My husband's company got bought out; he is not really too worried about his job since he is one of the young guys but you never know. I thought we were getting to the end of things; we had a lovely Christmas Eve with my brother and his wife. Christmas morning was also very nice. Then we got a call from my aunt letting us know that my grandma was very sick. She had a cold that lasted a long time, and her "doctor" closed his practice for 75 days and left no covering physician! My grandmother is 88 years old and lives in a rural area. The man is a real doctor, but if I ever see him face to face it may come to blows. She doesn't like to bother anyone which basically means she might ask for help if her leg fell off so she thought waiting until the end of FEBRUARY for an appointment with a new doctor was not that bad!!! I'm so grateful 2 of my aunts and uncles live in the same town with her so they are taking charge of the situation. She now has an appointment with a new doctor on Friday and as of last night her outlook was brighter (she had gotten very anxious and depressed.)

I'd appreciate your prayers for us. It's getting a little overwhelming :( I've already put all my Christmas decorations away just trying to get the house back to some kind of normal routine or at least some semblance of clean. :o I keep thinking about just breaking out my minis to relieve some stress, but no one would leave me alone long enough for it to work so I'm living vicariously through the gallery :yes:

Sorry for the dumping post; it's been a long December!

Sarah, I'm sending positive thoughts your way - and healing energy for your son, your dad and your grandmother. It can be really overwhelming when family members are ill or hurt. I hope you all feel much better very soon. :)

(My mum is like your grandmother - when she fell down the stairs and broke her hip, it was about 10 pm. She sat on the floor for a long time, and then inched her way to her bedroom - which was a few feet away. She pulled herself onto the bed, got into her nightie, and attempted to sleep. By around 3:30 am, she realised she would have to "bother" me, and phoned to let me know she had fallen. Can you imagine? She would have been taken care of so much sooner if she hadn't tried to be stoic.)

Sarah, You certainly are in my thoughts. I know the feeling of having one overwhelming situation almost under control and you get blind sided by the second and then the third! Be sure to take time to take care of YOU.

Sarah, glad to hear things are looking up. It's especially depressing to have all of this happen during what should be one of the happiest times of the year. Sending prayers for peace for all of you. :)

Just a quick update and another big THANK YOU. Grandma is doing a lot better with everything. Still a little depressed, but that's what happens sometimes when you get to 88 and all you go to is funerals :( My dad's back is still not 100%, but he is able to go work in his wood shop which makes him happy and gets him out of the house!

I can't say enough about how much I appreciate you guys! Venting is so therapeutic sometimes; I really needed it. Big hugs to all of you!

Glad to hear that things are beginning to improve all around, good way to start off the new year. Funerals are sad no matter what your age is, and with those words I just realized that I have forgotten how old I am. Forty something, I imagine I could remember if I tried but it's kind of a nice feeling, not remembering. Anyhow, your 88 year old grandmother probably doesn't feel that old on the inside, but you can't help but dwell upon mortality when those you care for pass on... and that weighs heavy on the soul.

...Grandma is doing a lot better with everything. Still a little depressed, but that's what happens sometimes when you get to 88 and all you go to is funerals...
People our age start dying off a lot sooner than 88!

...your 88 year old grandmother probably doesn't feel that old on the inside, but you can't help but dwell upon mortality when those you care for pass on... and that weighs heavy on the soul.
Too true!

Anyhow, Sarah, I'm glad things are better.

Just a quick update and another big THANK YOU. Grandma is doing a lot better with everything. Still a little depressed, but that's what happens sometimes when you get to 88 and all you go to is funerals :( My dad's back is still not 100%, but he is able to go work in his wood shop which makes him happy and gets him out of the house!

I can't say enough about how much I appreciate you guys! Venting is so therapeutic sometimes; I really needed it. Big hugs to all of you!

Hopefully, these small changes in a positive direction will continue in the New Year. Sending my prayers and best wishes your way!! {{{Hugs}}}

Lots of sympathetic hugs coming your way!! We all need to do some venting sometimes - I have a lot of physical issues as well, so I know those frustrations.

Glad to hear that Grandma is feeling better and that your Dad is on the mend. :p Our parents are still living on their own, but the time is coming.....my MIL is one of those stubborn women as well. She fell just before Christmas while putting up decorations- landed on the floor behind her couch. She said she 'took inventory' while she was laying there to make sure she was ok....and then noticed how soft the carpet was back there. :doh: We only found out a week later what happened! One of these days she's gonna fall and break a hip or something.

{{Love and hugs!}}

In us elderly folks it isn't the fall that breaks the hip, it's the osteoporsis in the hip that causes it to break that makes us fall; falls are liklier to break other bones (says she who fell downstairs two hours after DH left for a weekend-long hiking & tentcamping trip two years ago; nothing broken, though).