Garfield

Narnia077

I received a Garfield for Christmas! There's so much to think about......I don't want to use a glue gun...can anyone tell me the best wood glue to use....I have been looking at working windows and other door as I really don't like the windows in the kit...but due to being brought up in England I'm having a problem converting sizes...is there some where I can get all the sizes for the windows and doors so I know what size to order. I have started the foundation (glued the first two pieces together) using normal wood glue and clamps. I want to put lights in it and have read it's best to fit during building....any advise would be gracefully appreciated.

Marie

Hi Marie, and welcome to the place where you'll get all the answers and help that you need!!!

Yes, there surely is a great deal to think about and a lot of planning to do when you start your Garfield -- and all the way through the process. I think that's what makes it so much fun!

No, don't use a glue gun! The glue hardens, but becomes brittle and can snap/break easily. I use a good wood glue -- Titebond -- which you can find at Lowe's or Home Depot. There are several different varieties, though -- make sure you use the one that dries clear for those places where it will make a difference! The only place to use a glue gun might be the roof shingles, if you are using them, because it dries so quickly and you don't have to sit there and hold it while it sets.

If you go through the forums here, you will probably find answers to just about everything and anything you need! Just do a search (from the upper right-hand corner on the page) for Garfield in Forums (or wherever you choose to look!). Another resource that I could not have managed without (especially since I found it before finding these forums!) is http://moreminis.blogspot.com/

You'll find information about every single step of the way in building the Garfield!

Working windows for the Garfield, alas, are not available unless you make your own. There was a company that made them, but I believe they went out of business, and the only things I could find that fit were the French doors for the front balcony and the back bedroom balcony. I did enlarge the door between the kitchen and the dining room in order to use a pre-built door, but for all the others, the windows and doors available are just too large for the Garfield.

A good place for instructions for putting in electrical wiring might be http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/index.php?app=gallery&album=5059 -- and yes, you do need to do this while you're building or you'll wind up with the tape wire (or whatever you use) on top of the wallpaper or flooring or both!

One of the most important things to do is to dry fit EVERYTHING, each step of the way, so that you are sure that you're doing it right!

Oh, and also... don't rush! Enjoy each step of the journey. Building the Garfield is quite an experience, and each day brings new rewards! HAVE FUN!

Oh, and regarding the wiring... if you use tape wire, do use the eyelets rather than the brads. The brads are so small that you can go blind trying to use them! The eyelets work as well, if not better, and they are SO MUCH EASIER to use!

Marie, any good carpenter's wood glue will hold your little house together. I'm partial to Probond, but Titebond II or III has also worked for me. I invested in a Stanley heavyduty stapler when I did my first build for a child to play with, and I still use it to reinforce joins, since I tend to handle the house a lot both during the build and afterwards, decorating it.

Holly, do you mean a staple gun? Not a pincer-type stapler, right? Hah, I bet I have a couple of those in the tool box in my garage. Never thought of using that -- if, in fact, a staple gun is what you are referring to,

Thank you for the information and I am in no rush (not that the instructions would allow any rushing) I will still look at the working windows as I am quite good at wood work so I will try to reduce their size...try one and see where it leads me.

I have just glued piece number three for the foundation so I will start to look at the wiring asap.

Thanks Again

Marie

Good luck, Marie. I wish I was as talented! Please let me know how you make out. When I saw the sizes of the windows and doors offered on line (as opposed to those in the kits), I didn't think I could do anything with them to get them to work -- there seemed to be a significant difference in size. I'd love to find out that it can be done, using these pre-fab items (not to be confused with making them from scratch!).

Hello Marie, welcome to the forum! :) The Garfield is a very handsome dollhouse - can't wait to see what you do with it!

BTW, I like your username. "The Chronicles of Narnia" books were favourites of mine as a child - I read them to my children when they were young, and they loved them too. (I want to do a Narnia roombox one of these days.)

Congratulations Marie the Garfield is a gorgeous house. One thing to note about though, if you replace windows and doors with the kind like Houseworks the Houseworks components are deeper then the plywood used in the kit for walls. It's an easy fix by using trim to build up the frames but it is a little more work. Good luck!

You may also want to adjust the sizes of your kit's door & window openings, which is easily done with the 1/8" kit plywood, but probably easiest if you get the replacement components before the build and trace around them onto the places they're going to replace.

Thanks for the welcome Narnia077 has been my screen name for fifteen years and like wise I loved the books when I was young...most people think or ask if it's because of the movie! guess they forgot that books have been around a lot longer,

Marie

Hi

just found this site and decided to join. I am not sure of the house that you are building as I am in Australia. The dollhouse that I am currently building has working lights and what I did was tape the house together and marked where the lights were going. With ceiling lights i routed a groove in the ceiling for the wire and this was covered by the pressed ceiling. Basically the light and pressed ceiling had to be installed at the same time. Hope this helps and enjoy the experience

poppill

Thanks Poppill any advice helps. There are photos of finished Garfield's in gallery by members. If you take a look at the first post by MandyStar she gave me a link for wiring with tap which looks really cool, no holes and you can wallpaper right over it. What house are you building?

Marie

Hi Phill and welcome to the forums! Sounds like you are using round wire for your lighting. The link I gave to Narnia was for tape wiring, but either one works just fine! The Garfield house is shown at http://shop.greenleafdollhouses.com/Wooden-Garfield-Dollhouse-Kit.html so you have an idea of what we're talking about here, and I know that it is being built or has been built (probably both) by miniaturists outside of the US, so you can likely find it down under if you're so inclined!

I have completed the foundation looking at wall paper flooring windows and doors and don't forget the wiring and lights all I need now is to find a rich husband......but then his toys would come first....I'll stay single and buy the dog a big juicy bone it's cheaper :-)

I have completed the foundation looking at wall paper flooring windows and doors and don't forget the wiring and lights all I need now is to find a rich husband......but then his toys would come first....I'll stay single and buy the dog a big juicy bone it's cheaper :-)

Good call, Marie! :lol: I use alot of printie wallpaper from http://www.jennifersprintables.com/ (that I print out on cardstock, which I buy by the ream) as well as some scrapbook paper that I try to find on sale. I seal it first with two coats of spray matte sealer (Patricia Nimock "Plaid", found in some Walmarts, is my favorite, but I also use Mod Podge brand).

As for flooring, when I made the Pierce (which is sort of the Garfield's little sister), I did most of the flooring in skinny sticks (but coffee stirrers would also do for this). For a couple years now I have been using basswood instead because it's easier to work with and closer to scale; I find it at Hobby Lobby (though Michael's also carries it) and buy it by the sheets to cut up into planks. Depending on the floor pattern, I usually install the planks on a cardstock template and stain the whole thing afterward. For lighting, I look for the sales! (Hobby Lobby has 50%-off miniature sales occasionally and that's when I buy my lighting.)

Hope this helps-- looking forward to seeing your Garfield!