A new member

lil buttah

Hello,

My name is Jennifer, I am new to the whole miniature world. I have not started a project yet, but hope to soon. I have two daughters, Alex 10, and Emma 8. I would love any suggestions regarding a good starter house with easy access for my kids to learn along with me. We plan to be quite involved with this and any suggestions are appreciated.

Hi Jennifer!

Welcome to the community! Everyone here is very welcoming and helpful. I'm also new to this hobby, so unfortunately I really can't answer your question. But I'm sure someone on here can and will! :D This is a great place to get any of your questions answered. The members here have a huge wealth of knowledge.

Sincerely~

Brenda :D

Hi Jennifer,

And welcome to the wonderful world of miniatures! I wish I could suggest a good starter house but most of the other members can give better recommendations in that area than I can. I know the Orchid and the Arthur are both great starter homes and pretty easy to build, but there are also many other houses that are a bit larger that are still great beginner houses. Just a word of warning - miniatures are easy to get hooked on :D They're also a world of fun! You may find yourself wanting to build a much larger house after you finish a small one :D

-David :lol:

Welcome to the forum Jennifer. As David said the Arthur or the Orchid may be good starter houses, but I've built the Coventry Cottage and my 6 yr. GD loves it. I turned it into a dance studio. It was a easy and fun build. I'm sure you'll get more suggestions, cause once you get started we all seem to not be able to stop with one. :D

Welcome to the Community Jennifer! The Arthur is a nice one and the Orchid & Coventry. All three are very good choices for sure. The Arthur was one of my first houses to build and it turned out nice I think :D.

Let us know what you pick!

Hi and welcome to the forum

let me ask this....are you wanting one house for both girls to share

will this be a "toy" or something yall can work on for play and show or are you going for show?

any of the small kits are wonderful for the first time builder.

the Haunted house by Greenleaf is a wonderful build for kids and it comes with furniture as does the coventry cottage.

for accesibility for play and show I like the Mckinley...although it is suppose to be hung on a wall I think it would display nicely on a low shelf. with its wider diminsions both girls could sit and play together.

it is also a nice build for beginners with plenty of options for customising.

no furniture though.

hope we were helpful!

Happy Building

nutti :blink:

Wow, you guys are great!!!I have seen pics of all but the Coventry. I want to do a house for both show and play, I will be spending a lot of time to get it the way the kids want. I definately agree that I won't be able to stop at just one, so after the first house The rest will be for show,lol. I am really serious about making this a life-long hobby and would appreciate all the support you offer. I also want to get into making my own miniatures so that I can give it more of a personal touch. Thank you all so much!!

Hi Jennifer!

OMG! It wont be for show only...You will revert back to your childhood and start playing with it. Oh the possibilities.

Lil people, lil beds, lil rugs, lil tea services, lil toilets that the lil maid can clean! (I need a maid! Real and mini)

You will have to have your own to play with. Then you dont have to have the unfortunate task of knocking the lil ones over to get to it first! LOL

Hi Jennifer, welcome to the forum B) . Any of the houses that have been mentioned would be great for a starter house. I built my daughter the Sweetheart and she loves to play with it, when she can find it under the stuffed animals :blink: . I'm sure your girls will love any house that you pick, especially when they help build it :D .

Wow, you guys are great!!!I have seen pics of all but the Coventry. I want to do a house for both show and play, I will be spending a lot of time to get it the way the kids want. I definately agree that I won't be able to stop at just one, so after the first house The rest will be for show,lol. I am really serious about making this a life-long hobby and would appreciate all the support you offer. I also want to get into making my own miniatures so that I can give it more of a personal touch. Thank you all so much!!

You'll definitely get Lots of support here! I'm not really a person who dives into things... I tend more towards stumbling and falling head long into them :blink: And I've gotten LOTS of support and great ideas. Any time I'm stumped someone here (or several) have the answer or answers :D I'd be completely lost without these wonderful miniaturists :D Hope you have a camera though because I forgot to warn you about their craving for eye candy heheheh B) We do love photos - and if you ever have a problem the pictures really help in finding a quick answer.

Heidi is right though there is a strong tendancy to start rearranging furniture and you may find yourself posing your dolls for mini household chores, inviting mini pets to move in for your mini people, or even redecorating in mini for the holidays :) On the upside if you do any of these things you'll be in good company! :D

-David :)

I have seen pics of all but the Coventry

http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/b...house/index.php?

here is the link for the Coventry Cottage Blog

of course some of them went a little creative on us and you can hardly recognise the kits for what they are due to their wonderful ability to see past the box!

so if you know you are planning more than one house I would sugest the haunted house or the Arthur

something for the girls to help you with and than when you are working on your own house they have one to work on themselves.

and plus if the first one is for the girls play you can use it for cutting your teeth so to speak and learn from whatever mistakes you make.

Happy Building

nutti :blink:

Welcome Jennifer! After renovating a Beacon Hill my first actual "build" was the Haunted House, although I didn't make it into a haunted house. It went together fairly quickly and easily and has plenty of room to 'play' in. Although the Orchid is a fairly easy build, you have to watch out for the gable and dormers, they're tricky! :blink:

Another choice might be the Buttercup. Whatever you choose be sure to have fun!!

BTW (by the way) masking tape will become your very best friend!! B)