Lead Dolls?

little_carpentor

A couple of years ago, I was in Western Kansas at an estate sale and won a bid on some handmade doll dresses made out of tea towels for my daughter, most of them were ruined, but still nice to get ideas from. On the car ride home my daughter handed me a little lead cast doll that she found in one of the pockets from the doll dress. All in all we found a whole family tucked away in them, the father had a straw hat and coveralls, stands about 31mm high. Wife is in a long Gone With the Wind type dress and is the heaviest one at about 26mm High. Two boys that look like they came out of a Huckleberry Fin book and a little girl holding a baby sister that is 20mm high. My Girls are older now, I was always worried about them playing with lead but they wish to dispaly them and want me to Make a House for them. What would be a good scale to build a Farm house for these figures and would anyone know how old they might be? I was thinking early 1900s? I don’t know, I just free build dollhouses with my girls.

What a delightful project!

Since you scratch build houses, use the dolls to establish the scale. If I'm making the conversion correctly and you assume the father to be about 6 feet tall, a 7-foot door opening would be about 35 mm. An 8-foot ceiling would be about 40 mm high (somewhere in the vicinity of an inch and a half).

With those basics, everything else should fall into place.

The folks here who work with micro-minis ought to be able to tell you if this is a standard mini size.

I had to convert mm to inches so I could think, but I believe the father-doll at 31 mm is about 1 3/8", and the mother-doll is 1". I have to leave the house pretty soon so haven't got time to do the calculations, but this sounds pretty close to the micro 1:144 scale. Here's a chart that might help.

If you click on the link to the left, on my "Gallery" link, then look at the album called "Micro Houses" you'll see some houses in this scale. So far I have only used kits, but plan to scratch build soon.

(edited to remove chart which did NOT stay in chart form!:mad: )

Edited by CheckMouse

Here is the chart - had to divide it up and make 3 .jpg's out of it! This info is from microjivvy.com where you will find a wealth of information on the tiny scales.

post-4286-0-27010000-1324411575_thumb.jp

If I'm reading the chart correctly, the 26 mm mother would be about 12 feet tall!

Hello Jeromy, welcome to the forum! I think the little lead family was an exciting find - you've got to wonder who owned them before you, and why they were all tucked away in the little doll dresses. I can't wait to see the progress you'll make on a farmhouse for them all! (Your girls could make up a story for them.) Can you please post a pic of the little family?