Egg crates

Cate

Yes, little bricks painted and then cut from cardboard/paper egg cartons. Check out this blog/website otterine.com and search for bricks. I think there is a list of topics on the right hand side It's a great site, she is a member here under that same name. You could also search this forum for egg carton bricks or jsut bricks and probably get some other pictures and information.

No dollhouse lingo book needed! Egg crates and egg cartons are exactly what you are thinking.

Thanks, I'm still learning my way around here.

Yes, little bricks painted and then cut from cardboard/paper egg cartons. Check out this blog/website otterine.com and search for bricks. I think there is a list of topics on the right hand side It's a great site, she is a member here under that same name. You could also search this forum for egg carton bricks or jsut bricks and probably get some other pictures and information.

No dollhouse lingo book needed! Egg crates and egg cartons are exactly what you are thinking.

It's the papermache the egg cartons (NOT crates) is made from that people can use for "bricks" or "stone"; if you have a good basic papermache recipe you can whip up your own, roll it out between sheets of waxed paper and cut it into whatever when it's dry.

If anyone is looking for cheap egg crates... I know a great new source!!

I have parrots, and one of my favorite bird toy part stores is called "California Bird Nerds". She sells amazing quality stuff for PENNIES on everyone else! Truely a parrot parents blessing! (I have both an extremely destructive conure and a very toy shy conure... and they both agree on this place!)

Her newest item, brand new, no ink, never used 12 egg cartons for 55 cents each! She also has 1 inch willow baskets in the "chews and shreds" wicker section! She also has 1 inch flower post for 25 cents and a large variety of beads (wood and plastic) that I could easily see being turned into mini related things!

http://cabirdnerds.com/eggctn.html

Here are a couple of links to sites with tutorials on making bricks and stones from egg cartons:

http://www.thechinadoll.com/bricktutorial.htm

http://www.miniland.ca/BRICK1.html

They are easy to do, and very effective! (A bit fiddly and quite time-consuming - but one of those things that can be done while the tv is on - at least, the cutting and trimming parts.)

Sometimes you can hit up your local restaurants for egg cartons. We used to get big boxes with a stack of eggs packed in those paper trays. It's been a few years since we owned the restaurant, so they may pack eggs in newer material, but I'm betting they still use the coarse paper cartons because they're so cheap.

Even tho it's been a long while since I put stone on my Chantilly, I've still been saving every egg carton I get when I use my eggs up..so I have a stack of about 40 of them, LOL! They'll become bricks or stones--someday. I still have my dream about doing a Baltimore row home, and I would need bricks for that. It would be fun to do my old city home..we didn't have much, but just the thought brings back wonderful memories.

Ack, my parents bought their house for $9,000 back in 1950. Not long ago, I saw a home right in my old neighborhood, on the HGTV channel..in the show "House Hunters". Now those teeny little homes bring $180,000 to $250,000!!! For a what is basically a little brick box of a house!! Yeah, I know, they've been all fancied up during 'renewal projects..but STILL!!!!!! And you don't even have much property...just a tiny square of a back yard, and no front yard to speak of! No side yard at all because your house is butted up to other houses on each side!

Times sure have changed. Whew.

Thanks, I'm still learning my way around here.

Me, too! There is a lot of wonderful and inspirational information here and more coming every day. I got the impression you are new to the forum, if that's the case - welcome, welcome, welcome!!!

Oh, and on the egg cartons if you want to do that, you might ask neighbors and office mates or friends for their used cartons, too. I only mention this because my office manager brought me a large bag of egg cartons today. I have chickens so I'll be using them for eggs but that might be another source of cartons as well as the restaurants.

thank you, and yes I am new to the forum, I am still in awe of all the wonderful minis that have been built and decorated.

Me, too! There is a lot of wonderful and inspirational information here and more coming every day. I got the impression you are new to the forum, if that's the case - welcome, welcome, welcome!!!

Oh, and on the egg cartons if you want to do that, you might ask neighbors and office mates or friends for their used cartons, too. I only mention this because my office manager brought me a large bag of egg cartons today. I have chickens so I'll be using them for eggs but that might be another source of cartons as well as the restaurants.

thank you, I will be checking out those sites.

Here are a couple of links to sites with tutorials on making bricks and stones from egg cartons:

http://www.thechinad...icktutorial.htm

http://www.miniland.ca/BRICK1.html

They are easy to do, and very effective! (A bit fiddly and quite time-consuming - but one of those things that can be done while the tv is on - at least, the cutting and trimming parts.)

• 5 weeks later...

http://www.thechinad...icktutorial.htm

http://www.miniland.ca/BRICK1. html

Cate, thanks for bringing up this topic and thanks for all the input, everyone. I have been cutting bricks for the past couple days and tried a test run with six little bricks on an index card. I also tried the moss like otterine has on her Heritage. It looks so cool!

But I have one question for those who have done this before. My bricks are just slightly off, is there a better way to cut them? I have been using a metal ruler and exacto knife.

I also have a question, I want to do egg carton stonework for the foundation of my Hillside Victorian and am wondering how people come up with the shapes and sizes for their stones. Do you use some sort of template, or just wing it?

Initially I was thinking I'd brick it, but I don't know if I have the patience to make it neat! Stone seems like it will be less effort since the shapes and pattern can be somewhat random. (Famous last words?)

I also have a question, I want to do egg carton stonework for the foundation of my Hillside Victorian and am wondering how people come up with the shapes and sizes for their stones. Do you use some sort of template, or just wing it?

Initially I was thinking I'd brick it, but I don't know if I have the patience to make it neat! Stone seems like it will be less effort since the shapes and pattern can be somewhat random. (Famous last words?)

Funny, I'm the opposite, I have a really hard time with random. I would much rather have straight even lines to do!

I wing it. I cut and/or tear a whole pile of "rocks" and then fit them in, just as a stonemason might do in real life. If a piece needs a little adjustment, I snip or tear off the excess.