Newbie From Miami

mystic

Thank you Sandy for the nice welcome. :) Nice to see you're from Florida as well. And yes, it's nice that hubby has been involved with this new hobby of mine. He's actually doing additional things in the house ( the real one) so I can have more time to work on the little house. So far it's going OK,

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lol Mandy His brother is the total opposite. My hubby just has a good heart and it's a second marriage for both of us, going on 12 years. Today he was gluing some pieces for me, he really likes the house and it's The Washington 2.0. that I'm working on.

I didn't know there was a city named Havana in Florida. It must be so nice where you live :) I was born in Havana, Cuba but raised in Miami my entire life. My parents moved here when I was 11 mths old. But I' m drawn to the west coast, so nice and different, everyone says hello and are nice. And it's so pretty. Someday would love to move up there, sell my house here and buy a house with a little bit of land for my horse. He's boarded close by but it would be nice if he could be in my back yard. :)

They used to raise shade leaf tobacco in our Havana, with which to wrap the Cuban cigars. When The US & Cuba went on the "outs" in the early '60s the cubanos took their plants and left for Central & South America and the economy of Gadsden County plummeted. It has come back slowly with landscape nurseries and tomato & mushroom farms, but nothing like it was. We moved back to the Pensacola area because DH is originally from here. If you think the Gulf Coast of FL is friendly, you're correct; and it extends all the way up & around!

Yes Sandy, The Washington is a nice house but I'm dissapointed with the size of the rooms. I had to return a double bed because it was huge in the bedroom. Nothing else fit in the room! Then I bought a 1/2 scale bed room set, real pretty but very hard to find additional pieces and they are so tiny. So yesterday I moved the set to the attic. I quickly cut pieces of a crocheted runner (beige) ,placed them under each piece of furniture and it really looks nice and feels cozy. So most likely they are staying in the attic.and with some additional decorating it should look even nicer. I still have a long way to go with finishing the house but I have furniture in there to give me ideas for later on. I haven't had a chance to post a few pictures, but I will soon.

Oh, don't be disappointed, Linda! There's much to be said for these smaller rooms. You can make them look so cozy and sweet! When you buy furniture and/or accessories, make sure you (assuming you buy on line as I do) buy from a site where they give you measurements -- and most of them do. That should make things easier for you.

Are you planning that decoupage effect on the outside? Does that material come with the house? I like is so much that I'm almost tempted to buy it!

Oh, and there's just nothing like setting up some furniture as you go along so that your imagination can start to take over! For me, that's the best part, and whenever I feel like, oh, maybe like "is this sanding ever gonna end?" I play around with the furniture (and my imagination) and I get that impetus to get back to work. I love seeing it all come together! Having the roof on made it actually look like a house -- duh!!!

Even though the decoupage is pretty, I'm just going to paint the outside with a slate blue & cream & dark beige for the porch & trims. I can't tell you how many times I've already painted the inside walls because I wasn't happy with the colors. And there's so much sanding! Yesterday I was just too tired to do anything & decided I just wanted to play a little and that's when I placed the furniture in the attic. I just love to sit there and look at the house even if it's not finished. And you mentioned the roof, I only came to put the roof not even two weeks ago. I was so amazed at how big the house really is (except for the rooms), it's the porch that makes it look big. Now I've learned to go to the sites where they give the measurements of the pieces, I learned that the hard way. I was wondering, there's an option below for attachments. Can I attach the attic picture here or is it only allowed in the gallery.

Sure you can attach an image here. In the gallery, you can create "albums" with as many pictures as you have, but here, if you want to add an image to describe what you're talking about, absolutely. Just click on that icon, and it'll take you through the steps to select the image you want to show.

Do you mean that you've actually gotten the whole house built now? In less than a month? Oh my goodness. I started mine last August, and I'm not finished yet!

Sure you can attach an image here. In the gallery, you can create "albums" with as many pictures as you have, but here, if you want to add an image to describe what you're talking about, absolutely. Just click on that icon, and it'll take you through the steps to select the image you want to show.

Do you mean that you've actually gotten the whole house built now? In less than a month? Oh my goodness. I started mine last August, and I'm not finished yet!

Yes, it's all put together. But I still have to do alot of sanding & painting (fireplaces, trims, doors, the little steps, etc. )I haven't had to use any glue because this house has what's called box locks which form part of the window boxes on the outside. That keeps the house together, I can move the house to any location without it falling apart, lol. It's taken me longer because I've changed paint schemes inside and countless touch ups. The floors are stained as well. But I still have to paint the outside and shingle the porch roof, the main roof already came with the shingles. So I still have a lot left.

I've attached the picture below and of course this was just having fun adding the little crocheted pieces as little area rugs. There's a thing in the center of the attic which is the partion to the house. Eventually I will figure out a way to hide that or blend it with something.

That looks really, really lovely! The crocheted bits do pull it together for now. No glue? That's interesting. The Greenleaf site ( http://shop.greenleafdollhouses.com/Wooden-Washington-Dollhouse-Kit.html# ) says "goes together with tab and slot construction that requires only glue to complete assembly." Is yours a different house, then, or have you just not done the glue part yet? Don't fret the size of the rooms though -- it'll just take a little more of your imagination to make it perfect!

In the end I will add glue especially where the walls are joined together. The roof doesn't get glued so you can take off the whole top part. In the actual instructions it only tells you to glue certain pieces. And if you decide to get this house, the booklet has no illustrations showing you where all the pieces go. I left the box alone for a few days because it was so overwhelming. Thanks to my husband, he put the house together. Maybe I've gone quicker because I'm only painting and not wallpapering or adding other details that I've seen in this forum. Such beautiful details and I know mine is not going to come anywhere near that. I still have a long way to go and I'll be happy if it comes out half way decent. :)

Hi Newbie in Miami...I'm Newbie in Fort Lauderdale. We also have a really nice member in Delray who is wonderfully full of experience. I don't know if we have anyone else on our coast :-)

Welcome

• 2 weeks later...
...I don't know if we have anyone else on our coast :-)...
I grew up in West Palm Beach and when we returned to FL lived for over 10 years in Jacksonville (a bit to the North of the rest of y'all). After more than 20 years North of Tallahassee (that's where Havana, FL, is) DH & I moved (for health & age reasons) back to the Pensacola area, where he spent all his teens (Seminole, AL, is a mile West of the Perdido River).