Newbie From Miami

mystic

Hello everyone, my name is Linda. I just received my first dollhouse, The Washington 2.0. Any advice will be greatly appreciated especially since the instructions are confusing and no picture illustrations. My husband is going to help putting it together but I still feel overwhelmed by all the pieces. He's already put together two walls and the base floor. He wants to use an electric sander so that it comes out nice and smooth. So that's where we are right now. ;)

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HI Linda,

I'm new to this too, but I have put a couple of houses together. The one thing that I found that helps me is to do an inventory of the parts, reread the directions knowing what pieces are being talked about, and do dry fits first. Oh... and invest in wood putty.

You might be able to go online to see a picture of your house. More then likely you will find it on here all dolled up. There are plenty of AMAZING houses here.

Welcome to the little family, Linda & hubby. Read over the instructions with the schematics sheet in one hand, to see what the parts talked about look like. Use masking tape to put it together (what we call the dry fit) and see how it goes. Do NOT use hot glue to assemble the kit, carpenter's WOOD glue will work just fine. An electric sander? I tried mine on one of my houses and went back to using my sanding block and emeryboards; the electric sander seemed like overkill. A heavy-duty Stanley stapler works wonders for reinforcing connections.

I find it helps me to find parts faster if I stack the plywood sheets into numerical order. Another advantage of the dry fit is that you can see which parts of the house will be difficult to decorate if you wait until the house is together. Also, you might want to wait until after the house is together and decorated to install the doors and windows, especially the transparent acetate inserts. I have a Washington 2.0 still in its box that wants to become a WWII era farmhouse.

Thanks for the warm welcome :) I did alot of reading in this forum while I was waiting for the dollhouse to arrive and I'm so glad I did. I've learned quite alot especially the do's and don't's. As far as hubby is concerned, I'll be working solo for awhile because he injured his back this morning at a job site (he's in construction). It's OK though, for now I have some sanding to do and then I'll be able to start painting some pieces. I hope that mine can come out at least half as nice as the ones I've seen on this site :)

Hi Linda, and :welcome: to the forum.

If the sanding doesn't provide the smooth surface you seek, try wiping the piece with a skim coat of Spackle or joint compound/wallboard mud. Either one will fill in the slight irregularities in the surface and give a beautifully smooth surface ready for the primer that you'll want to use on all of the pieces except those that will be stained. (You can paint over stain but can't stain over paint.)

Thanks for the tip Kathie.. I should have joint compound at home, my husband said he would give me something to fill the irregularities so maybe that's what he was talking about. It's really funny how much he's into this house building. And I'm so glad because I think it would take me forever to put it all together.

Hi Linda, welcome to the forum! :D

I hope your husband isn't hurt badly - backs can be tricky.

As you go about the build, you may have questions - this is definitely the place to bring them. No matter how small, large, or odd. ;) Chances are, someone here has the answer - or several optional answers - or knows where to find the answer! :p

Thank you very much! And hubby is feeling a bit better.

I have already started sanding the house and am really feeling excited! I plan to take my time about putting things together. Thank you all for such a nice warm welcome.

WELCOME to the Greenleafmini-family, Linda and Hubby – so glad you joined us! We love to share news, pictures, and ideas on all things miniature! :gathering: So nice that you have your husband to work with you on your mini-projects. My sweet man hasn't yet figured out why in the world I like miniatures!

Thank you so much! At first my hubby thought I was nuts when I mentioned it to him, but then he totally changed and was more excited than me when the house arrived. He actually sat outside waiting for the UPS guy. He has plans about making a nice base for it. So it's reaaly nice that he's involved especially since I need his help in putting the parts together, lol Thank you for such nice warm welcome :)

• 3 weeks later...

Welcome, Linda, and a warm welcome to your husband as well. It's just wonderful that he's working with you. If you run into any problems or have questions (as we all do, I assure you), just give a holler here and you're sure to get answers! Nice to have some more Floridians on board ;-)!c