Has anyone wallpapered with fabric

Mary11

If you are talking real life, use liquid starch (I have done walls in an apt when I could not paint and the fabric removes very easily). You soak fabric in the starch and wring out then smooth the cloth on the wall.. I think it would also work in a dh or room box but white glue would also work or even spray on glue.

Hi Mary, I can tell you what I did...........at first I tried just using vinyl wallpaper past and pasting the fabric right to the wall.....which I have done with real walls For some reason it had a lot of bumps in it.

so what I did was take it all down. used new fabric and put Wonder Under (iron on web) one side has paper, the other side a rough feeling. Iron it on your fabric first, let cool, peel the backing off then iron it to card stock or better yet as it is bigger, poster board. oh ok it is also called fusible web you buy it at the fabric stores. you can get it by the yard or sometimes in packages on the notions wall. DON'T get iron on interfacing, make sure it is double sided web. I found by putting it on the fabric and fusing it onto the card that it was very very smooth. then you can either glue it on with glue or the vinyl wallpaper paste worked great for me. it is cheaper ...........if you can find the powder you mix with water but perhaps most are now only pre mixed.

I made patterns of complicated walls by just piecing in small pieces of paper taping it until I filled the area, pulled it off and bingo had a perfect pattern. I then used that to cut the card stock.

do not try to iron on the fusible web to the poster board or card stock first. it won't work. it won't peel then. Iron it onto your fabric then peel then iron on the card.

this process takes a little more time but your walls will be much smoother I think. I can only tell you what I did............so there are different ideas and methods but this is what worked for me. you can view my fabric walls in my gallery in the Garfield house gallery. bottom floor is paper but the 2nd floor stairwell and all the 3rd floor are fabric, I love using fabric. lots of tiny patterns to choose from and it is always wide enough so you don't end up piecing. good luck! I also show some pics of me doing this process in the gallery but will post a couple pics here of the finished walls with fabric. to view my gallery just click on my user ID then find my gallery.

Cheryl

post-12113-0-93047300-1323567887_thumb.j

post-12113-0-98328100-1323567904_thumb.j

post-12113-0-12491900-1323567927_thumb.j

That is what I did with my RL house too, but for some reason I had all these bumps and wrinkles on the dollhouse walls when it dried. I may have possibly gotten it way too wet and that is why it was so bad, so if that worked for you perhaps that is what happened so she could try it and would be simpler.............and faster yep! using the card stock takes alot longer to do your walls that is for sure!

Cheryl

For the fabric I used on the Travel Trailer bedroom walls I spread RL premixed wallpaper paste onto the primed walls and laid the fabric over that.

I use matte mod podge, a coat on the wood and then another coat over top of the fabric. I just plop the wall over top of the fabric square and trace it out in pen, cut, brush and stick :) The bonus to the layer of MP over top of the fabric is you can then trim it with a box cutter if you end up with excess fabric anywhere.

Cheryl I have a small wooden brayer that was intended for the prepasted RL wallpaper borders that works really well for smooshing bubbles out from under dh wall coverings. Aaron, once the fabric (or wallpaper) has thoroughly dried I flop it over onto my cutting mat and cut away the excess. A stanley boxcutter utility knife is my knife of choice.

I wallpapered my Gloucester with fabric. I also used fabric on the floors. That was the only time I used fabric for wallpapering. I applied the wallpaper right to the walls but I primed them first so the dark wood would not show through. I used regular tacky glue, applied with a sponge brush, right on the fabric and I did not have any problems. No glue showed through as wet patches and there were no wrinkles to the fabric either. Everything dried nice and flat. Years, later, it still looks the same as when I first applied it. Of course, this all depends on the fabric used. I suggest for you to try out with a small piece first and see how it goes before you commit to the entire room. I have also heard that you can use spray starch to attach the fabric to the walls and be able to peel it off easily, later on, if you want to change your decor. I have never tried it though.