Painted Floors Thread Reminded Me of This

mininecessities

For some reason reading the thread about Painted Floors (great idea by the way, love it!) reminded me of an idea I saw once for a Real Life kitchen counter. for a person who can't afford to have their counter re done.:huh:

They tore up odd shapes of brown grocery bag paper and glued them down then used mod podge or policrylic. You could also use heavy brown packaging paper. I thought of doing it but worried about the cost of the mod podge or other to seal it............as you would need lots of coats. but cheap for a dollhouse (I have an old 50's counter with the metal strip in my RL house. ugh!)

I thought it looked awesome. Of course it is not the right surface for a counter, you would need to use chopping boards etc ............but in a dollhouse that wouldn't matter. Would look for the link but this was years ago.

The brown paper was torn in odd shapes (tear, don't cut) oh about the size of a coffee cup saucer. The torn edges gave it a pattern. oh wait yea be sure to re size that to 1:12 scale lol.............

it really did look neat. Perhaps someone could try it on a scrap piece and see if they like it.

just sharing

Cheryl

I have a vague recollection of hearing/reading about this method years ago - hadn't thought about it since. It would make a neat finish for dollhouse counters! Great idea.

You could try something like that in coloured tissue paper - that could look neat.

What a good idea. I'm going to try this with my dollhouse counters, I don't like how they've turned out so I might as well experiment. I have this old paper bag from France that has managed to avoid the recycling bin for a very long time. It's from Le Moulin des Caracoles in Nice. It has green writing on it along with their logo... might be interesting.

What do you know... I have half the counter done and I think I like it! I have to wait to see what it does once it's dry, but I think we have a winner. I did a web search and found some recent blog posts on the technique, got a few good ideas that way.

Can't wait to see your pics!!

I also like the tissue paper idea.!

Cheryl

What do you know... I have half the counter done and I think I like it! I have to wait to see what it does once it's dry, but I think we have a winner. I did a web search and found some recent blog posts on the technique, got a few good ideas that way.