Chrysnbon Kits Question

Sherr

I just ordered a few Chrysnbon kits - country kitchen chairs to photograph my dolls in. I couldn't find what I wanted in Bespaq but Chrysnbon had the perfect style. I know they are plastic so I need to dress them up a bit, but don't know anything about them. 1.Can you use superglue on these kits or model cement glue? 2.Any tips on best way to paint them so they look like wood. 3. Any construction tips also greatly appreciated.

gallery_8_2916_18545.jpgI have a preference for the Testor's glue for polystyrene, since it "melts" the plastic pieces so they weld together. I have used regular MinWax on the brown styrene to get a more wood-like appearance, but for the pieces in other colors I spritz a very light coat of flat gray aerosol primer and then paint with acrylics:

Sherri, super glue works(I am adding another bit. I should have said that it's not my glue of preference), but the glue for model cars is better. Like Holly said, it kind of melts the plastic together. I have also used E-6000 to put them together. As for making them look like wood, the kits come with a little brown packet of paint that makes them look quite good. Put the paint on and then wipe it with a dry brush, with the grain, to streak it a bit. It takes some practice, but is very nice when you get the hang of it.

I'll use the Testor's glue..(being a big fan of their Dullcote). Didn't know they came with paint. May use that and then minwax as another layer of color.

Do you seal them with anything after painting? If so what do you like?

E6000 will work without melting the polystyrene, but you want to be careful to remove excess. I seal paint with a matt aerosol art sealer for a matt finish, with clear nail enamel for a shiny finish, and with clear nail enamel over MinWax.

Thanks all! Yes, the fog. I used super glue to glue Swarovski crystals onto a wizard staff....totally clouded the crystal. Fortunately it still looked mystical.

Also, fumes from the super glue may fog the surface.

I once did a Chrysnbon dining room table and chairs and used a spray paint with a wood tone - believe it was rosewood - from the craft store. Don't know if they still make the product, but it worked beautifully.

I use model cement. Some of the old Farrow kits are the same way.

As for wood grain, you can score the surface with a razor saw. That will give you the multi-tone areas for grain. I wold test your scoring on another piece of plastic if you want. Another alternative is painting them black or white and adding a design of some sort (like holly's post above).

I am glad to know that super glue works on polysterene because its always good to have an alternative. So far I have only used the recommended Testor's Glue on anything poly.

I LOVE Chrysnbon kits. I used them on my Beacon Hill and they look great in a dollhouse, especially Greenleaf dollhouses. They can be made to look very realistic. They have great details and they are true to scale. I basically used the "stain" that came with the kit to paint mines and it does make them look just like wood. I put a gloss varnish over them after the "stain" dried. I painted the stoves with a mattee charcoal color craft paint to make them look like cast iron and it worked. No one would ever know they were plastic unless you pick them up and notice how light they are.