Transformer question

tilliejam62

I purchased 3 transformers to use in 3 different shadowboxes but when I opened them I saw that they are not the type I really need. I am trying to figure out just how they are suppose to be used. I'm thinking they are suppose to be used in tape wire style electorfying but I always use power strips which I prefer because its easier for me to work with power strips. I'm wondering if someone can tell me how to use these transformers. I cannot return them because I've had them for a few years and no salesslip.

post-12406-0-15848500-1322011447_thumb.j

I don't know much about electrifying, but based on this picture alone it doesn't appear you can use this transformer on a power strip. A more knowledgeable electrify-er might be able to confirm or deny this...

From the amount of electrifying that I understand you need this type of transformer to connect to your power strip...

40w.jpg

This article might be able to elaborate a little more regarding how to choose a transformer.

http://miniatures.about.com/od/dollhouseminiatures/ht/choosetransform.htm

Thanks so much for your response; I have purchase and used transformers many times with power strips but I did not realize that the 3 transformers were the wrong kind to use with power strips. I will look further into how they are used but I'm almost sure they are for using in the tape wire method of electrifying which I do not prefer to use but if and when I find out how to use them I guess I might to the tape wire method because I do not want to waste money I paid for the 3; or perhaps I may try to sell them. They are all brand new and never been used.

Your transformers are to be used with a "junction splice" into a tape wire system. The only way I can see to use them with power strips is to modify them, if you are comfortable with re-working electrical stuff and bare wires then covered with electrical tape or sleeves.

Basically, you have to cut the juction splice connector from the transformer, cut the lugs off the power strip, and strip enough wire to physically twist and connect the wires from one to the other. This makes a somewhat permanent connection and is prone to some problem or another somewhere along the way.

I think a better way is to use them in a tape wire system or sell them and buy the proper transformers.

If they are CIr-Kit transformers, you can go the Cir-kit web site and get their phone number or send them an email asking for advice. They are nice people and have helped me many times.

B)

Thank you so much Judith for your reply. After reading about the different methods of wiring, I kind of came to the conclusion that the 3 transformers are to be used for the tape wire method but was not sure. So now I'll have to decide whether to try the tape wire system or just sell the transformers. I'm leaninging towards selling them. Thanks again.

This is so funny,.............because I have the exact same problem. In my stash I have one transformer for round wire connection that is low watts or whatever we need............and two 40 watt transformers that are for tape wire. I want to wire this Garfield with round wire. I am thinking of modifying one of the larger ones. I will probably someday use tape wire but can't really afford to buy a new one right now for the round wire. I think I figured out how I can splice the wires and connect it to the power strip.

I am sure the best thing to do would be to just re order the proper transformer in a larger watt. Or I could use this smaller watt one and later get another smaller one and have two on this Garfield.

ho hum what to do LOL

Cheryl