Decorative Fabric Trim

mininecessities

I have alot of fabric trims. narrow heavy ones too. I was wondering has anyone ever used them in place of decorative wood trim? And would you want to paint it to make it hard or seal it

Something I was going to try but thought I would see if anyone has done it or a similar task? I wonder if it would look more like wood if it was painted? I also have alot of appliques that may work by painting them to look like decorative wood? Maybe my creative brain is going whacky here ? any thoughts on this one folks?

Fabric trims make great wood and plaster trims. You will want to paint them for the best effect. I have some waiting for use in the Beacon Hill but am not yet to that stage. I'm not sure if it would be easier to paint them before gluing (to stiffen them) or glue them on the wall as is and paint them afterward. Hopefully someone who has done this will be able to clarify the process.

I have been thinking that a coat of gesso to seal before painting would be a good idea both for a smooth finish and a paint saver.

I used decorative embroidered ribbon trim in my White Orchid Christmas house, but I neither sealed nor painted it, since I wanted the design to show. I'm using soutache braid to trim the tops of the arched doorways in Mildred (my Pierce rehab) and painting it white to match the rest of the woodwork.

I used decorative embroidered ribbon trim in my White Orchid Christmas house, but I neither sealed nor painted it, since I wanted the design to show. I'm using soutache braid to trim the tops of the arched doorways in Mildred (my Pierce rehab) and painting it white to match the rest of the woodwork.

I used decorative embroidered ribbon trim in my White Orchid Christmas house, but I neither sealed nor painted it, since I wanted the design to show. I'm using soutache braid to trim the tops of the arched doorways in Mildred (my Pierce rehab) and painting it white to match the rest of the woodwork. I've also used lace and painted that.

Thanks Holly!! that motivates me that it is ok lol. I have tons of the stuff!! bought on closeouts years ago. It will be great to make use of some of them!

I used decorative embroidered ribbon trim in my White Orchid Christmas house, but I neither sealed nor painted it, since I wanted the design to show. I'm using soutache braid to trim the tops of the arched doorways in Mildred (my Pierce rehab) and painting it white to match the rest of the woodwork. I've also used lace and painted that.

Thanks Judith! Sounds like a winner! I am excited now to put these trims to use! Have yards and yards I picked up years ago. It will save me some money too to put these to use!

Yes glue is a good stiffener! I have one I might use for cornice........it would save me sooo much!

I stiffen the material first (I lay the material on wax paper and just use glue to stiffen), when dry I paint, then I glue to the wall or ceiling.

B)

I have been eyeing some of my laces too .......trying to get creative with them. Was going to put a lace on my dining room ceiling but not sure now that I found a big rool of paintable wallpaper at Walmart...........that looks like plaster or stucco finish. It just might be easier than the lace. I also have some beautiful appliques that I took off of used wedding dresses I found. I bet I could make them look like decorative ceiling pieces!! I use to make Barbie Doll Clothes and sell them and that is why I have so much collected. that and I am a fabric, craft, mini's hoarder lol

Thanks all of you for the motivation and tips! I hate to see all these trims etc just sit there. now I can put them to use! I just needed to know it was OK lol

I use a lot of lace for gingerbread on houses. I am working on a Russian cottage that has a LOT of lace on it. I use mostly antique cotton lace, picked up at garage sales and thrift shops. I paint it with acrylics on both sides. That seals it and also stiffens it. That way I don't have to worry about getting paint on the walls around it. If you would like to see examples of this, go here. http://caseymini.blogspot.com/search/label/Russian%20Cottage Be sure to click on Older Posts at the bottom of the page to see the earlier entries about the cottage.

I use a lot of fabric trim as borders, ceiling lining - usually I treat them with sodium silicitate or "waterglass" to harden the material, then glue and paint it.

In general it works very well. Waterglass also works on paper...

I dont know whether you can buy waterglass everywhere but here in holland some dollhouse shops sell it in small bottles..

rgds

.... Thanks all of you for the motivation and tips! I hate to see all these trims etc just sit there. now I can put them to use! I just needed to know it was OK lol

One thing that I learnt early on - that helped me relax a lot and really have fun with minis, is that this is your dollhouse, and whatever you want to do with it is OK. There are no rules, no limitations, except those that you put on yourself. Just enjoy your own creativity - you obviously have plenty of that. You can colour outside the lines, and you can have purple chickens in the living room, if you want them! :p

I have pretty embroidered ribbon trims from scrapbooking supplies that I'm keeping for "wallpaper" borders and ceiling decor. Painted plastic doilies also make great wood and plaster decorations in a dollhouse.

Sure enjoying all of the ideas here! How valuable!! Starting to see "things" Now when I see an old plastic or paper doilies in an auction box or at a yard sale my eyes will light up!! makes life exciting heh?

I have a used refrigerator filter that would easily pass for a propane tank! lol.......when I die people are really going to wonder about me.