Confused about Scale Size!!

bluestarpixel

So I know I am FAR from furnishing my house (I just started the Garfield) but I can't help thinking and looking at the possible furniture pieces I want to get!!

I'm a little confused on the scale sizes. I've seen pieces labeled as "1 inch scale", "1:12 scale" (is that the same as 1 inch scale?) and then I've also seen "1:24 scale". Is 1:24 scale bigger or smaller than 1:12 scale? And which is better for the Garfield House?

I really like this Bespaq Dauphine Bedroom Set which says 1" inch scale http://www.kimsdollh...pc-White/Detail

I saw these same pieces sold some where else for a little cheaper but it said it was 1:24 scale. So I'm confused on if this set comes in two different sizes and if it would still work in my house.

1:24 is a ratio; think of it as a fraction, so it's equal to 1/24 of a foot, or 0.5"=1'. In 1:12, 1"=1'; which fraction is a larger amount, 1/12 or 1/24? Since I make everything that goes into my little houses, when I make something for a 1:24 house that I'm using a 1:12 pattern for, I divide all my measurements in half.

The best way to think of it is like this... 1/12 scale just means that 1 (inch) in a dollhouse = 12 (inches) in real life. 1/12 scale. People shorten it to 1" scale.

So, 1/24... 1 inch = 24 inches real life. People shorten this to 1/2" scale sometimes, because half of an inch in this scale equals one foot.

This means....

The bigger the number on the bottom... the smaller the house and furniture. Just like in math or cooking, the more pieces you cut from a whole, the smaller the piece of pie.

If you're buiding a standard kit, then you need 1/12 scale or 1 inch scale.

For your Garfield you will want to buy anything that is 1" scale, (yes, 1:12 scale is the same). Buying anything that is 1/2" scale or 1:24 is half the size so much to small for your Garfield. Have fun buying all the goodies to fill you house - I find this part the most fun! Starting with the beautiful Bespaq Dauphine bedroom set will certainly make a gorgeous beginning.

Valerie

For your Garfield you will want to buy anything that is 1" scale, (yes, 1:12 scale is the same). Buying anything that is 1/2" scale or 1:24 is half the size so much to small for your Garfield. Valerie

This... :)

Check out this image below from the Greenleaf Webstore Homepage...this shows the difference...

Your house is full scale, (the back one), half scale would be the front one... :)

half-scale-dollhouse-kits.jpg

You should check out Ebay for some Bespaq pieces. I got a "2nd" of a Bespaq Kitchen, 4 pieces for less than $80, including shipping(normally $400!). Then purchased 2 islands to match it for $5 (for both) because they were broken, but not broken beyond repair. You do have to be careful, but sometimes you can get a steal...

Exactly! I see one on ebay right now but it says "HALF SCALE" and in the description it's says "1:24" So I was trying to figure out if that was too small for my house or not.

Yes, it's too small for your Garfield.

Lucky for you, the majority of dollhouse furniture is 1" scale (also known as 1:12). So if the scale isn't specified, that usually means it's 1" scale, which is what you want for your house. But if the auction does say 1/2" scale (or half scale, or 1:24), don't buy it! It'll be much too small.

This means....

The bigger the number on the bottom... the smaller the house and furniture. Just like in math or cooking, the more pieces you cut from a whole, the smaller the piece of pie.

So when you get the really BIG number on the bottom, as 1:144, then the house is really tiny. That's the scale of a dollhouse within a dollhouse :ohyeah: