Curtain Call

Minis Over The Hill

Joane, I have several tutorials on curtains on my blog. Maybe those will help....I will just send you to the curtain section. I think that there are a few others that I forgot to mark curtains, but I don't have time to hunt them down right now. Hopefully, you can find something here. http://caseymini.blogspot.com/search/label/curtains

How about a cornice - with or without panels under it.

I find miniature curtains a pain because they so often bunch up and stick out. I used fabric stiffener when I made the curtains for Amos Gooch. Description of what I did is about 1/4 way down this page

http://newenglandminiatures.blogspot.com/2009/12/completed-maine-fishermans-cottage.html

This is a link to HGTV with a RL size cornice

http://www.hgtv.com/topics/cornices/index.html

At one time wenlaine posted a pattern for a cornice you can cut from card and cover with fabric to match or to coordinate with your drapes. I picked up a couple of drapery books at thrift stores to get new ideas for window coverings. It took me a while to figure out they didn't have to mount or work like 1:1 scale window treatments.

Joane, I have several tutorials on curtains on my blog. Maybe those will help....I will just send you to the curtain section. I think that there are a few others that I forgot to mark curtains, but I don't have time to hunt them down right now. Hopefully, you can find something here. http://caseymini.blo.../label/curtains

I love your blog girl!!! I have been MANY times

Thank you guys for coming up with these tuts. Grazhina, Amos' curtain looks perfect for that room, just sets it off so well. Thank you Casey for coming up with those patterns. I'm going to try the dressy valence at the bottom of your page. I copied it and will have to fit it to both the bay window and the single window, but I think it will give me a bit of a dressy victorian look. If it doesn't look good, I can do a plain covered valence. From what the HGTV tuts show, it seems like they basically take the board pieces and line them, then cover with fabric. One person used foamcore.

Thank you guys for coming up with these tuts. Grazhina, Amos' curtain looks perfect for that room, just sets it off so well. Thank you Casey for coming up with those patterns. I'm going to try the dressy valence at the bottom of your page. I copied it and will have to fit it to both the bay window and the single window, but I think it will give me a bit of a dressy victorian look. If it doesn't look good, I can do a plain covered valence. From what the HGTV tuts show, it seems like they basically take the board pieces and line them, then cover with fabric. One person used foamcore.

Joane, that's basically all there is to it. Build a box with a front, top and two sides, no bottom or back. Wrap the whole thing in fabric. Glue on some trim....All done.

Thank you Casey and Tracy. Tracy, that's a darling cornice, especially with the trim. Adding the wood pieces in the back really stabilizes it. I'm trying that victorian cornice of Casey's and putting curtain panels underneath. At any rate, it's good to know how to do one whenever you need it. Thank you everyone!

Joane, the valances came out great! Did you look at the curtain tutorials? They are very easy and your curtains will look even better than they do now if you do a bit of pinning and spraying with hairspray. Keep up the good work! By the way, I love thewallpaper with the border. Where did you find it?

Casey, I did look at the curtain tuts, but this fabric would not listen. The fabric simply won't go into folds. I've never done curtains before, so I'm very satisfied. The wallpaper is just pink/rose striped and the border is something common, maybe in Jennifer's Printables or something. I'll look around for it. Thanks!

Joane, I imagine that the fabric that you used is synthetic. If you can find some cotton or linen, or even silk, those will work. You have to use natural fabrics for any pleating that you want to do. I use a lot of old handkerchiefs. The naturals don't argue with you like the synthetics. They behave well.

Thanks for the info on the wallpaper. It is really pretty!

• 2 years later...

I'm borrowing this topic because of a curtain tutorial I ran across today,in an old Greenleaf Gazette,by member Corwin C. It's curtains and a valance made out of wallpaper. It proves to me once again I am not very original-thinking!:

For some time now I've coincidently had an 'accordian' pleated scrap of wallpaper propped up at the back of the rehab Orchid's bathroom,to use as a shower curtain. (I haven't decided on a tub for the bathroom,so I'm going to just fake it with the shower curtain on a rod running wall to wall across the back for now.)

Corwin's tut for a regular window curtain does it even better-although I do wish his final photo revealed the curtain at a little clearer angle...Anyway,has anyone ever used wallpaper for curtains as in this tutorial?:

http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/dollhouse_news/JAN2010/dollhouse-curtain.html

I've also ran across some really cute beaded curtains and hope to put one in the bathroon window and in the doorway between the kitchen and living room...I am sure that will take awhile to make,but I looove the beads! A couple of examples:

http://carolynslittlekitchen.blogspot.com/2010/10/raindrops-on-roses-and-whiskers-on.html

http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/index.php?app=gallery&image=50158

Any more unusual window or door coverings in your projects?

Edited by kat57

Kat, no tutorial yet, but I showed a different window treatment on my blog today that I want to try. If it works, it will look like a stained glass rose window. Poke "my blog changes daily" if you want to look?

• Like 1

Thanx,Casey-that one looks very interesting!

Here's a pretty bead curtain idea I found in the members gallery:

http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/index.php?app=gallery&image=69371

There's a quite a few more,but I won't overload this topic with them. :) I just love all the pretty sparkle that bead curtains give!

Kat, the one I want to do will not be a curtain. It will be the window itself. I want to fit it to the frame of the window. I may do it for the upstairs of the Brimble's.

Thanx,Holly-I did see your beaded curtains-I hope you are able to get updated photos one day,so we can see that one more clearly,as I love the gold color!:) Do you recall how many strands it took to fill the doorway?

Alas, no updates; the house is now in Burke, VA, if it hasn't gone on.

I measured a piece of 1/8" diameter dowel the width of the door opening and traced the door opening onto a sheet of scrap paper. I lay the dowel along one short edge of the tracing just within the doorway space and taped the ends. Then I cut a piece of thread a little less than twice the length of the opening and threaded the bottom bead onto it and tied it at the end of the thread. I dripped a wee dot of tacky glue to the tied off thread at the one end of the dowel so it wouldn't go sliding off. Then I threaded the other beads, checking the length with the tracing, until it was the length I wanted, and tied the other end to the dowel. Once I had that I untaped the dowel and cut and continued threading and tying until I had the dowel filled. I repeated the glue on the last tied-off thread and when the whole mess was dry I glued the ends of the dowel to the sides of the door opening at the top.

I have no idea how many threads of beads there are, I go into The Zone for jobs lie shingling, beading, siding, stitching, etc; and stay there until the job's done, however long or much it takes.

• Like 1

Ya,it was a silly question,as every project would have differing amounts of beads and strands,but thanx for detailing how you did yours,Holly! :) Now,I've got to search for the color I want-which isn't totally decided yet. I'm going to look at stores locally first and then check the net,I think...I have a spool of 'invisible' sewing thread-you know,clear-that I think I'll use to string the beads.