putting the cart before the horse...

feuz86

Ok when doing the interior of a dollhouse someone once told me to start from the top and work your way down... so start with the ceiling and then walls and then the floor.... so my question is should I put my flooring in before I wallpaper? or the other way around? or does it really matter? I'm not quite ready to wallpaper since I'm still undecided what papers are going to go in what room, but I do know exactly what flooring in each room I'm going to do. I am using leftover Greenleaf siding strips since I have like over 3 bags extra. Would it be better to do the floor first? I just don't want to ruin the wallpaper at all.

ALSO.......

I bought ungraded windows for my Laurel. They are just the classic windows from Houseworks bought from miniatures.com and I guess I didn't really think about it but the walls of the Laurel are only 1/8" thick and the windows are 1/2" thick. I have siding and everything but the windows are still too thick. any suggestions? I was going to upgrade the doors too, but now I'm a bit worried that they will be too thick. Has anyone else run into this problem or did I just buy the wrong windows? suggestions anyone?

Hi Rachel, everyone works out a different method for herself-- I usually start with the walls, then the flooring, then usually the ceiling last. A method that I have been using for a while now is mounting my floor (whether it's wood strips, or carpet) onto cardstock, and my ceiling papers as well; then I can dryfit them easily and glue them in whenever I want...

The order you do things is really just a matter of personal choice. I usually do the floors last - but it varies.

I have read of people building up the thickness of their walls with foamcore, or even using extra wood as interior window trim. I haven't tried this yet, but when the time comes, I will probably cut a panel of foamcore/gatorboard to centre behind the windows/doors. (Interior/exterior.) It could add a little architectural interest!

Hi Rachel,

I upgraded my door in my Laurel and the Primrose addition. I did not upgrade the windows... but with some nice trim I don't think you really notice the difference in the thicknesses... here are some pictures there are a few of the french door on my Primrose addition in my gallery (under Finished) ... hope this helps :)

Rachel, what about mounting your wallpaper on acidfree card or posterboard? This will not only give you extra thickness but allow you to cover your wiring. Gluing your baseboards to the floor and your cornices to the ceiling will allow you to remove the card panels for troubleshooting electrics or changing the decor. I don't electrify my houses, so when I use upgrades I cut scrapwood from the kit and glue it under the trim of the upgrade so that when I do install it it fits flush to both sides of the wall in question.

As for order, I didn't read anything, but it works for me to begin building & decorating with the foundation and work my way up, inside first and then outside, leaving windows and doors for the very last.