How do you fix a wiring short?

jbnmini

oops. <_< I think one of the last two eyelet connections I did shorted out. I was doing great, and now nothing works anywhere! How do I fix this? Will it be ok if I take out the offending eyelets and re-insert them? Or will the tape be too damaged?

This is my first attempt at wiring and I am not doing too well. :doh:

Are you sure the eyelets are the culprit? Did you see a spark? Did the short mess up the fuse in the transformer?

Is there electricity between the transformer and the eyelets?

Can you give a little more detail?

If the eyelets are the culprit, you may have to remove them and patch over the damaged part with another piece of tape.

Hi Jackie,

This happens in my Pierce every now and then. After I put on wallpaper, wainscoting, etc some of the lights would go out, sometimes all of them. Try to gently rub over where your connections are w/your finger. Sometimes it's the way the paper/wainscoting touches the connections. Mine typically light back up after I do this. It's a pain though.....I guess my connections aren't that great. Good luck.

Hmmmm.....

I am using eyelets rather than the brads at my tape wire junctions. I did mostly the fold-n-go wiring, but have several locations where I need to do the eyelet thing. I have no wallpaper up yet at these spots- just bare walls and tape wire.

I did three junctions successfully - checked for power after each one. Then I got a bit over confident and did two junctions before I checked for power the next time...and oops- zippo! I did not see a spark, Kathie, but from what I can see back in that ridiculous-access spot is that the one eyelet is kinda partly off the blue side. Don't know that it is actually touching the copper side.... but nonetheless, I am quite sure that this is the culprit junction. :angry:

I will try removing the damaged wire and putting down new tape and try again.....

... from what I can see back in that ridiculous-access spot is that the one eyelet is kinda partly off the blue side. Don't know that it is actually touching the copper side.... but nonetheless, I am quite sure that this is the culprit junction. :angry:

I will try removing the damaged wire and putting down new tape and try again.....

I think you've answered your own question. I've also been in situations where I knew what needed to be done but hoped some easier answer would suddenly appear to make it all better! :D