Lighting Advice please

babypeanutz

Hi there,

It is now about 6 weeks since I finished the exterior of my house and my DH is no closer to starting the lighting for me. :)

I was just wondering how easy it would be to do myself. I haven't got a very 'technical head'. I understand there are 2 methods - which is the best and why? Are there any tutorials?

Thanks guys,

Rachel

Darrell has a great tutorial on wiring. I thought I could find it for you under the Tutorial link on the navigation bar at the top of the screen, but the only article there is a great one on resizing digital photographs. I relied on Darrell's expertise while wiring my first house and it went very smoothly. I'll keep looking!

You don't need to wait for DH ... go for it, gal!

Edit: ... aha! It's in the Gallery, not the Tutorial section.

Darrell's Super Wiring Installation Guide

Your 2 methods are tapewire and roundwire. Which you use is personal preference. I know that Tracy (Minis on the Edge) uses roundwire.

If you go to Earth and Tree Miniatures http://www.dollhouse-miniatures.com/ and click on Tom's Tips, you'll find an wiring section which will give you step by step illustrated instructions on tapewiring a house. Don't know if anyone has the same tutorial for roundwire systems.

It's simple using either method -- I've used both and I'm totally non-mechanical and the lights always work for me :)

Let us know how it goes.

I did all my lighting using Darrell's Electrification Super Guide as well. He goes through all the steps, from tools to finished lighting projects.

I never 'electrified' a dollhouse before and found his instructions easy to follow and the procedure is pretty much 'pain free'! :) I used tape wire for the most part, but I also used roundwire to "switch" all my lights. I can have one or two on or none on depending on my mood (or rather Miss Pennethorne's mood!).

Good luck with your project!

I managed to do all my lighting myself it's easier than you would think! Just remember to decorated your ceilings first and wallpaper if you are putting up wall lights...Don't put any carpets down until you have put in your lights either..like someone else said you can use the flat tape method or the round wire method..

Kath x

I have done a couple of my houses with DH help but what I did do myself was done with Darrells tips

and tutorial.

and like you I have been waiting for DH to do the wiring in DD house but Im still waiting!

so I may have to do it myself. I will use a combination of round and flat wire.

I wired the Mckinley myself and learned not to use your exacto to trim wallpaper when you have tapewire running up the wall and on the ceiling.

good luck on your progress...the hardest part about wiring is convincing yourself that you CAN

wire it.

nutti :)

Being that the Garfield was my first house and that I was determinded to have lighting, although I was scared to DEATH to try it, I just had to dive in.

My advice:

Get a kit. It has all the pieces you'll need to start out. Then make a practice board. Use a piece of scrap board and do a line of tape wire. Connect the pieces (junction splice, transformer, etc.) together as the booklet tells you. You will be extatic the first time you see lights! Truly isn't as scarely as it seems, and pretty easy once you get over that initial test.

I was also lucky that I was in my local DH store and mentioned about being scared. The owner stopped what she was working on to show me how simple it was. She had a test board that she told me was 6 years old and still worked.

My biggest advice:

PLAN. Plan where you are going to put all your lights AND plan out your tape wire route. I did not do this and I wish a I had. When I did mine, not so long ago I was under the misconception that everyroom had be wired completely and all the way around. Not true. You only need to wire where you will have light (where it will be attached) and enough to have the tape connect to another room. It basically needs to be a circle where it conects to the main original line when you are done. I had bought a kit, but had to but additional tape wire because I used so much of it. Could have saved alot of time and money had I really paid attention! One bit of advice she gave me was to be as consistent as possible where you put the wire. She said in all her houses her tapewire is 1 inch up the wall alll the way around. That way once you wall paper you can easily determine where it is.

I've been working on my lighting lately plugging things in and making sure they work. I'm almost completely done withat that part and it gets easier everytime I put a new light in.

There is a guide on eBay about tapewiring. Lots of good pics that may help you get a better idea.

http://reviews.ebay.com/Electrifying-Your-...000000000830991

learned not to use your exacto to trim wallpaper when you have tapewire running up the wall and on the ceiling.

DITTO!!! I "broke" my line of tape wire the same way. Took me over an hour to fix it 'cause it was in the most hard to reach corner! I had to wrench my whole self inside the house to get to it. Then there was hardly enough room for my arms to move to fix the tape wire. Boy was it HOT in there. The DH family hadn't installed the central air yet!

I need to learn to electrify as DH (Darrell). has been too busy to do it for me. I will be following his guide when he is not home to supervise me LOL

Melissa, that's so cute!! Tell Darrell we miss him though! I was so glad when Rik taught me how to electrify! I guess I knew how to or what to do I just wanted to see it so I could be sure I was on the right track.

Can't wait to see how well you do!

Melissa, that's so cute!! Tell Darrell we miss him though! I was so glad when Rik taught me how to electrify! I guess I knew how to or what to do I just wanted to see it so I could be sure I was on the right track.

Can't wait to see how well you do!

Tracy!

I'm crushed! I took all those pictures just to make things easy for you and you STILL couldn't do it until Rik showed you? LOL!! However, I haven't yet tried paperclay either. My excuse is time and money though not fear and trepidation. LOL!

To all of you here though, I miss you too. Life has not allowed me much time lately. Mel DOES try to keep me up to date on what's going on and shows me many pics of all the wonderful things you've been working on. We've really got a lot of talented people here, I tell ya. And I'm constantly getting new ideas just from looking at everyone elses work.

For anyone concerned about wiring, you need not be. It's really very easy. Once you have one light working most of your questions will be answered and concerns eliminated.

smiles and waves to all!

DARRELL (who IS still alive!)

Hey Darrell!

You deserve a big chocolate chip cookie!

Your instructions have gotten so many of us off of our fear of electricity. Like I have said, After reading your instructions I can electrify w/o the need of looking back. It is actually really easy once you have gotten the Eureka! moment.