How old are we?

KathieB

59 members have voted

1. 1. How old are you?

2. 2. At what age did you build your first dolllhouse?

The other day one of the members happened to mention how old she was, and it surprised me, as her posts generally sound younger than her admitted age. That got me wondering about the age demographic here, and wondering if we're headed toward extinction by natural attrition or whether there are younger miniaturists coming up through the ranks. Since several members have mentioned coming to the miniature world later in life, that got me wondering just when the bug tends to strike most frequently.

Thus, this poll. No need to admit to your age if you don't want to. Just vote. :thumb:

I put 71 and older because I will be 71 next Wednesday. How I got here I will never know. haha Now I am curious if anyone senior to me?? Fess up........... There is only one person I can guess at so I do hope he posts.

My doll house started when I was 56 and I am still at same one... no need to rush anything. *snicker* With that and health issues I do okay WHEN I have motivation and energy. Maybe I just need a kick in the behind. nah that wouldn't help.

everyone have a blessed day.

LindaC

will try to do the rss to this conversation :-)

If you count plastic model kits (they are minis) I started at 7 with a cheap locomotive kit and built over 60 other kits over the past 25 years. I started the castle gate (my first mini of a building) in 1998 when I was 23, but I have wanted to build an old Victorian since I was probably 12 or 13. I've always had an interest in the architecture and building methods. Still not much interest in decorating/furnishing.

Plastic kits are becoming harder to find and I think a dying hobby due to video games, but as long as little girls (even with grey hair) play with dolls, there will be a demand for doll houses, so I think this hobby still has a long life ahead.

Oddly enough, my daughter (she's 3) has more interest in trains than dolls or doll houses.:huh:

I'm 43 and just became addicted to mini's (I've been into 16" fashion dolls for years now).... I have had 2 dollhouses before this year.... one with my sister when we were kids that we didn't build right and never finished... and one in my 20's... a 1/2 scale (I don't remember which house now) that I also never even came close to finishing... so I "SAY" I built my first dollhouse at 43... 'cause the Laurel/Primrose was the first one I actually built and finished.....

I'm old enough to know what I want, and still young enough to get it! :groucho:

I marked down that I built my first house before age 40, but that was actually a bookcase house, not the traditional dollhouse. But I still count it because there was a LOT of construction figuring involved with stairways, storefront, attic, rafters -- and it was all electrified. I moved it from pillar to post as we traveled, until the last move when I had to dismantle it. And I made almost all the furniture and furnishings in it.

Now I've moved on to the more traditional houses and am having more fun than the law should allow :giggle:

I've just realized I built my first dollhouse longer ago than I thought. The Heritage was for my daughter, before her younger brother was born, so I must have been about 41. Miss Frobisher's Cottage came next, and was finished some time after we moved to Maine 14 years ago. I keep feeling I got into building dollhouses around 8-9 years ago, but I now realize it's been longer than that.

I'm 60 BTW.

Got my first dollhouse about age 8. Loved mini's my whole life. One Birthday, I told my parents all I wanted was these tiny mini "bows" (like the mulit-point christmas/bday ones). They were just so cute and little. I used to beg to go to the hobby shop to look at minis too. Forget ice cream, I wanted MINIS!

That said, I decided to build my own dollhouse at age 29, and I'm still working. Though it's only been a few weeks, I'd say I'm over half done. No electrical. I've got 2 rehabs lined up next and after that I may allow myself a bigger kit than my Orchid.

Like a few other people, I've always loved minis but have been unable to indulge the hobby until this past year. Now that my kids are in school all day, I have some time to spend on myself although it still seems real-life gets in the way :lol: Before the internet, I had an old HBS catalog that I memorized all the pages in. It was when my boys were babies. I promised myself I would build one someday, and now here I am!

I am still working on my "first" dollhouse, but I have 2 more in kit form and 2 more coming in the mail! I am not counting all the kits on my ultimate wish list :giggle: Is a house ever really finished? I keep thinking of new things to do to all of mine so I don't think so.

... That got me wondering about the age demographic here, and wondering if we're headed toward extinction by natural attrition or whether there are younger miniaturists coming up through the ranks. Since several members have mentioned coming to the miniature world later in life, that got me wondering just when the bug tends to strike most frequently.

I don't think the hobby is nearing extinction -- quite the contrary, it is more recognized and easier to get into than ever before. I think the reason so many of us on the forum are over 40 is because RL gets in the way in our younger years. With kids and school and tight budgets and careers ... minis are way in the background. Most of us admit to being fascinated with minis from an early age, even when we couldn't actively do anything about it. I admire the younger ones who can find time to build dollhouses, and kudos to those who make it a family affair :flowers:

It's great to be in a hobby that is for everyone -- regardless of age or gender :thumb:

I must have been in my mid twenties when I bought and built my first house- the Barrington by Artply. From photos, it was when my youngest was just little, and he's 23 now! I hit the 51 mark in December (although at times I feel like 91!).

I've always loved minis. Some of my favorite toys as a child were Polly Pockets (because of how teeny tiny they were and all the little houses, not like they are now) and Barbies (for her cool accessories and awesome kitchen with all the tiny food, plates, cups etc.) In middle school a friend whose mother was building a dollhouse and I thought it was just amazing and wanted to know how she did it. Of course she replied that it was too much work for a child and blew off my interest as a kid looking at a toy. Little did she know I wasn't the typical child and would rather be crafting something then playing with it. Then a work associate of my dad's had a dollhouse set up in her living room at a Christmas party during my junior year of high school. I spent more time staring at that unfinished dollhouse then mingling and honestly it's really the only thing I remember from that night. It was fully built and completed but it was raw wood with furniture inside. When my boyfriend (now DH) was asked to dog sit I would go with him just to get another look at that house. My first attempt at dollhouse building was right after highschool, I was 18 at the time and it was a Beacon Hill my parents bought me after hours of hearing me talk about it. I'm 26 now and am fully addicted. I have The Gloucester almost finished, little details left to do, back shingles and some interior trim, but once again I've been sidetracked by another house. My Arthur kit began frantically screaming to be built this last week or two and once I started I can't seem to stop. It's going together surprisingly quickly and more fluidly then any of the other houses I've built so far. I have a hoard of kits hidden away for someday and have expanded into multiple scales. I have high hopes that at least one of my children will share this love of mine and to one day work on one together.

I got my first dollhouse when I was 7 or 8 (my grandparents built it and all the furnishings completely from scratch). Built plastic models of all sorts with my brother while growing up. Built my first dollhouse at 17 (The Pierce). I've loved miniatures, train sets, figure models dioramas and such ever since I can my remember. My father had a huge train set layout which I was fascinated with. Minis went on the back burner for a while due to my love of music and playing in bands, while also working and going to college, etc. Now that my children are grown (I'm now 46) miniatures have come back into my life with a vengeance, lol. I tend to bounce between my numerous hobbies depending on the mood that hits me. But I always come back to each of them. Creating realism is what it's all about for me whether it's a dollhouse, figure model, or diorama for one of those figure models.

I have always been fascinated by minis.

I got my first doll house when I was about 14. It was simple, but large, and I loved decorating it. I packed up its contents and took them with me when I moved out of my parents' house.

The furniture and accessories stayed boxed up for years. I didn't get another house until fairly recently when my DH bought me first one, and then two houses second hand. I'm still rehabbing those two, and always will be. :)

I'll be 50 in December.

I put the age of my first build at the present but my mind has just taken me to a past I had forgotten.

Years ago when I was in high school I worked in a Hobby store and the owner wanted one of the houses built as a display. I volunteered to help on it. It was so long ago I really don't remember much about it. I did the wiring and wallpapering. Very frustrating at the time but I think I have a better grasp on it now. At least I hope I do. Now I'm starting to get a little worried about that step coming up soon. All the old memories are starting to surface. Oh my that was not pleasant. Funny how you forget things from the past. You would have thought that with my love for minis this would have stood out more in my mind but I guess at the time my focus was more on boys and this was nothing like boys. he he!

So i wish I could go back and vote 17 on my first build but the present is my actual first build just for me. So I guess I voted correctly after all.

Thank you for this question and the memories.