I'm a Giant Dollhouse Challenge

CJEP

Hi All,

I know I haven't been around in a long time, but I just came across this post on Emily Henderson's blog and knew it would interest some of you. She is hosting a challenge for decorating a dollhouse. I wish I had the time to do it but I'm still working on my real life miniature and doing things her speed right now. And a 2.5 year old speed is not quite ready for decorating a dollhouse (at least not to show someone). When I let her play with them now all the furniture ends up broken or in one room. It isn't pretty. Anyway, here is the link, http://www.stylebyemilyhenderson.com/blog/imagiantblog-challenge.html Hope some of you join and have fun.

Carrie

I went and read the blog....This woman is new at minis and is, to put it nicely, a bit mad. She wants completed dollhouses between now and December 15?? It takes me that long just to think about what I am going to do. Maybe I read it wrong, but It seems to say that you should start the house any time between now and the time that it is due....She says, "We start this week (don't rush, you can start next week or anytime really) and we have to be finished by December 15th. "

The house that she picked out is a pretty big house...It should be interesting to see if she can finish it by Dec. 15th, let alone anybody else trying to do it too. ROFLOL!!!:lol: I, for one am going to bookmark the site and see how she does. Is anybody here going to join her?

There's another thread somewhere that mentioned her challenge. I read the blurb and emailed her to find out how to join her list and never got an answer. It doesn't look like she's put a lot of thought into how people will join her challenge and show their work. Sounds like she's never done miniatures before. I think she'll do better with straight blogging. :type:

With my iffy health issues I work on my own in spurts. Took me 14 years to know what I wanted to do. haha Didn't take me long to know I wanted the extra shop and then the seperate lake scene with travel trailer. Shop and tt kits are here but I am disciplning myself to finish porch on house first. One more piece of railing wood ordered to be here soon.

Can't imagine this challenge...

LindaC

There are a whole lot of gushy comments from people who claim to be all excited about participating. It will be interesting to see how many houses are completed.

There is a list of TV decorator types on the page. She seems to be saying that they are all making houses, too. I can imagine their design teams doing the actual work. I searched all over the page and could not find any information about how to enter, where to post photos, etc.

Like Holly says, live and let learn.

She has an update that sounds like you are just supposed to comment on her blog and link it to a photo on your website....I am still not understanding the rules. It almost sounds like something that you have already done will sufice??? http://www.stylebyem...-diagnosis.html I don't see how she is going to finish it. She is complaining about working on it already and says that her "future" daughter is going to have to give her foot rubs for completing it! .LOL :p That explains it. She has no daughters to keep her from working on it....

I haven't had kids at home to keep me distracted since long before I took up dhs & minis, BUT we also hike, bike, paddle kayaks & canoe, attend meetings of clubs involved in those activities, travel (I built both the Glencroft and the Orchid on long trips) and in general have a lot of other interests. Bless her heart for her ambition; she reminds me a bit of the girl in the commercial complaining that she introduced her parents to the internet social networking and they're up to 17 friends, and while she's gushing over a picture of someone's puppy her parents are out mountain biking with their 17 friends.

There are a whole lot of gushy comments from people who claim to be all excited about participating. It will be interesting to see how many houses are completed.

There is a list of TV decorator types on the page. She seems to be saying that they are all making houses, too. I can imagine their design teams doing the actual work. I searched all over the page and could not find any information about how to enter, where to post photos, etc.

Like Holly says, live and let learn.

I think "gushy" is the key word here! :idiot: I don't think she's really looking for dollhouse'ers - it's a decorating contest among designers, just in a smaller scale. It will be interesting to follow their progress, though.

As for entering - I couldn't find any info either so I clicked on her ContactMe link and sent her an email. Never got an answer.

I think "gushy" is the key word here! :idiot: I don't think she's really looking for dollhouse'ers - it's a decorating contest among designers, just in a smaller scale. It will be interesting to follow their progress, though.

As for entering - I couldn't find any info either so I clicked on her ContactMe link and sent her an email. Never got an answer.

I think this is it. Its not a mini contest but about decorating on a small scale.

I think this is it. Its not a mini contest but about decorating on a small scale.

I agree, but can't what we do be accurately described as decorating on a small scale?

What do Martha Stewart, Kim Myles, Joan Steffend, Genevieve, Candice Olson, Jane Lockhart, Thom Filicia, and others do that we don't do, only in miniature?

Don't we choose the colors and textures that express our inspiration? Don't we take a blank room and remodel, paint and/or paper, and furnish however our muse directs us? Don't we establish themes and moods for a room, keeping mind the "real" or imaginery people who will live in them?

And are we not also architects, contractors, and landscapers? Don't we choose a plan or a kit with a style to suit the planned project? Don't we sometimes bash the outside, and/or move interior walls, stairways, and other architectural elements to best suit our design goals? Aren't we constantly aware of scale and the need to work within its constraints?

Don't we choose construction techniques? Don't we choose siding materials? Don't we wield the tools that make the changes? (Hello, Mike Holmes & Ty Pennington) Don't we design and execute landscaping details? (Waving to Jason Cameron, P. Allen Smith)

And don't we tell stories, weave dreams, and supply the inspiration, skill, and passion to infuse our projects with a life of their own?

We are decorators, and among the members of this forum, there are some darned good ones! And we are much, much more!

< :hmm: If this weren't so wordy, I'd think of embroidering it on a pillow -- a miniature one, of course!>

... :hmm: If this weren't so wordy, I'd think of embroidering it on a pillow -- a miniature one, of course!
You'd need a microscope to read it, but I'd love to see it!

Seriously, you are absolutely right on!

Ha! I'm 3 years in on the Tudor and might have the 2nd floor inlay finished by then, but not likely, let alone an entire house. But then again, Brae seems to turn out the best houses at lightning speed, so anything is possible. It will be interesting to see how far she gets by Dec. 15.

I agree, but can't what we do be accurately described as decorating on a small scale?

What do Martha Stewart, Kim Myles, Joan Steffend, Genevieve, Candice Olson, Jane Lockhart, Thom Filicia, and others do that we don't do, only in miniature?

Don't we choose the colors and textures that express our inspiration? Don't we take a blank room and remodel, paint and/or paper, and furnish however our muse directs us? Don't we establish themes and moods for a room, keeping mind the "real" or imaginery people who will live in them?

And are we not also architects, contractors, and landscapers? Don't we choose a plan or a kit with a style to suit the planned project? Don't we sometimes bash the outside, and/or move interior walls, stairways, and other architectural elements to best suit our design goals? Aren't we constantly aware of scale and the need to work within its constraints?

Don't we choose construction techniques? Don't we choose siding materials? Don't we wield the tools that make the changes? (Hello, Mike Holmes & Ty Pennington) Don't we design and execute landscaping details? (Waving to Jason Cameron, P. Allen Smith)

And don't we tell stories, weave dreams, and supply the inspiration, skill, and passion to infuse our projects with a life of their own?

We are decorators, and among the members of this forum, there are some darned good ones! And we are much, much more!

< :hmm: If this weren't so wordy, I'd think of embroidering it on a pillow -- a miniature one, of course!>

:clap:

Pure poetry!!!

Stephanie, I agree 100%! In some cases, we are better decorators than they are. They just point and say I want some curtains on that window. They don't make the curtains or lay the floors...Or make the houses and furniture. That's why I am interested to see what these people consider a good dollhouse.

If you embroider what you said on even a mini pillow, it is going to have to be the size of the dollhouse livingroom, at least! LOL

A friend of mine sent me that link in September. I am gonna try and do it (just a small castle tower room inside and out) Not a full sized house though. I've been too sick lately and couldn't do more no matter how badly I wanted too. I think it's exciting because there seems to be some "new" dollhouse people jumping on board which can only help our hobby grow. I remember we had a member (on the old greenleaf forum) who built a Pierce dollhouse for her moms birthday. Decorated it inside and out and electrified it. She did it all in about a month or maybe just a little over a month and I was floored cause, if my memory serves me, it was her first house.

We just might see a lot of eye candy come from it :) (and a lot of "Ummm I couldn't complete the house" comments too I'm sure :groucho: ) :lol: