sand-paint finish?

GrandpaJeff

You could try using the "Search" feature for stucco techniques, I remember that nuttiwebgal, among others, has used that method and posted about it. My preference is lightweight vinyl spackle, but joint compound, wall mud, patching plaster, the special dollhouse stucco mixture and wads of single-ply facial tissue and paint will also work for stucco.

I've used regular sandbox sand, aquarium sand and the sand you can get from model railroad shops. I've heard that the aquarium sand can yellow but since I mixed it with a beige paint/off-white paint I don't think it'll be a problem. I mix the sand with latex house paint. I put my paint in a plastic coffee container and keep adding/mixing sand until I get the consistency I want. I usually mix it until it's a paste like consistency. This has worked pretty well for me. I just paint and dab it on with a brush. I'll go back and fill in any bare/non-textured looking areas.

Thank you all.

20 years ago I built a couple of dollhouses for my daughters (Pierce and Harrision) and in one of them the sand-paint mixture is what I used. It still looks good but -- now that I am building a Pierce for a granddaughter -- I can no longer remember how I did it. I think it was a mixture of sandbox sand and regular paint and you replies seem to confirm it.

Thanks.

I also thought I read that you could mix a little glue in with sand and paint...

I think if you use regular house paint -- oil base or latex -- it would have enough "glue" to hold the sand in place when it dries. However, if mixed with a matte finish craft acrylic, I'm thinking it might easily rub off. In that case, glue added to the paint or a top coat of polycrylic or Modge Podge similar to seal could be helpful.

• 5 years later...

I use a paint additive from Lowe's  (haven't seen it anywhere else).  It is a super fine sand,  probably silicone, I've put on at least 3 houses.  I love it.  One box has gone a long way.  I mixed a batch up in a good mason jar with white paint.  That way there isn't any waste.   If I want the house a different color, I just paint over the "stucco" once the white is totally dry.  Oh, it's not expensive