Orchid Floors

anpak

Ok, we have the main parts of the Orchid glued together - BUT both floors sag in the middle. The top floor sags even with the bottom partition in, and the bottom floor also sags. We have not even put in the wood floors/tiling we plan to add.

Any suggestions? Have other people had this problem?

I'm not sure if I can explain this clearly, but I'll try. I have glued pieces of wood under the flooring that are the same thickness of the base support (space under floor) and then I glue the whole thing to a larger support board that will be the "yard" around the house. This helps to stabilize the whole house and it helps with the floors. There are lots of good examples of what this looks like in the gallery. It will also help keep the front steps from falling off (my first Orchid -RIP - I hot-glued it and it was not on any board; when my daughter gave it away, the front steps had already started to separate from the house - from this forum I have learned soooo much).

Abby, did the floors not sag in dry fit? If you used hot glue my suggestion would be to take the house back apart and deal with the sags by misting the saggy parts and then weight them down with flat, heavy weights until dry and flat. Otherwise, as has been suggested, go with straight pieces of stipwood below and think of ceiling beams.

Thanks for the suggestions! I did not use hot glue so I can't take it apart again. However, I hadn't thought about putting the whole house onto a board to stabilize it - I do think that is a great idea. I can then put the floor joist underneath the first floor to keep it from sagging more.

Too bad about your first Orchid, Amy!

• 1 year later...