Have a question....

Actually, that should read: about reading posts when not signed in. Some days I'm all thumbs - all 16 fingers worth.

Anyway, I don't know if this is new or if I just now noticed it. I see that I am able to read posts while not being signed in. A lot of forums will have you sign in (and therefore sign up first) before you are able to read any of the posts, which makes it more of a closed community. Knowing that just anyone anywhere can come on and read some of the things we've posted makes me a wee bit uncomfortable, although I am well aware that what you put on the internet is not exactly private anyway.

The reason I'm bringing this up is because of a problem I had with my boss several jobs ago. I worked in a small bank and our branch had only 6 employees. Our manager felt we should all be "family". Unfortunately, because I had not experienced anything like this before, I found I had become close to my boss and several of my coworkers before I thought the better of it. My boss happened to be the no-nonsense type who looked on my hobbies, especially miniatures, as "toys" and felt I should have outgrown them years ago. Needless to say, her "family" setting at work made her think she could constantly inquire as to what I was doing on my free time and she also felt she could criticize me if I was doing something she did not approve of. You know where this is going. And the less I told her, the more upset she became and the more she felt I was hiding things from her.

I never told her about this forum, but I'm sure if she had been computer savvy it would have been easy for her to look me up on Google and then find this forum and read my posts. And while I realize this is an extreme case, in this day and age of computer snooping when you apply for a job and even if you already have one, I'm just wondering if we should make this forum more inaccessible to people who haven't actually signed up.

I'd love to hear your comments.

I think that the form has always been open that way. That is how so many of us lurked here before signing on.

Sorry to hear about your unpleasant boss. I hope that you have a better one now.

Another good reason not to use full names on sites like this one.

Hi, Kelly! Sorry about your boss. That's nasty! If they didn't like you "playing" with dollhouses, what did they think of you raising rats?

I'm sorry to hear of the ridicule you had to put up with. People are so judgmental and unkind sometimes.

If you hadn't liked something of theirs, no doubt you would have been fired for it. But since they were the boss, they used their power to insult you.

As to security, I've worried a lot about it. I changed my name after a stalking incident and use a name here that isn't used anywhere else.

I have gradually become much more close mouthed about sharing things too. I removed some pictures and content that I was concerned about.

I decided that monitoring my own content myself was the way to keep my own self safe.

Please don't let it keep you away from the GL family though. It's a great family and there is always so much to learn here.

Hope you now have a job where people respect one another.

When I started with Greenleaf Dollhouses, I was told the purpose of the forum was to help those in need of help to build their Greenleaf Dollhouse Kits purchased from the various stores (Brick and Mortar or Online).

There are a lot of people who has used the forum for help to build their houses, but they have never joined the forums as a member. The benefit of joining is being able to post and build relationships with others who love our hobby. The forum has been live on the www (world wide web) for about 8 years. Our first one was more of a message board because we were not sure if it would end up being used or not. It has always been open for the public to read and since it was the original purpose of the forums creation, the owners has stated that they will always have a public forum to help assist those in need of help building their Greenleaf dollhouse kits.

As with any page or website online, it is best to not post anything you would not want people to know about you. That is the ONLY secure way to protect yourself while online. Even private forums has leaked info. I know for sure that happens because I found a topic in google from another forum that was "supposedly" private. If you would like to remain invisible online, do not use names or other things that will link people to the real you.

I too have been stalked by not so great people in my past (and also other weirdo's online). It is very annoying and scarey to be a victim of stalking so take precautions to protect yourself anywhere online. Consider anything you share online as public. Don't get too personal if it worries you later on. I'm closing this topic now since this has been touched on several times in the past few months and the owners are keeping the forum public.