Orchid Windows

anpak

This is my first dollhouse, I am working on it with my 11-yr old daughter. She wants her Orchid to be a "Painted Lady" Victorian and I am having trouble figuring out how to paint the double-hung windows. She wants a different color of window frame on the inside of the house than the outside.

Does this mean that we need to paint one side of the window frames one color and the other side the other color?

The other thing I am confused about, and wish I could see a close up photo - does the outside of the house actually become one of the "double' hung window frames? If so, does that mean we have to paint that color around the window hole on the exterior of the house?

I hope someone understands my questions. I am still not sure about a lot of the terminology!

Thanks!

This is my first dollhouse, I am working on it with my 11-yr old daughter. She wants her Orchid to be a "Painted Lady" Victorian and I am having trouble figuring out how to paint the double-hung windows. She wants a different color of window frame on the inside of the house than the outside.

Does this mean that we need to paint one side of the window frames one color and the other side the other color?

The other thing I am confused about, and wish I could see a close up photo - does the outside of the house actually become one of the "double' hung window frames? If so, does that mean we have to paint that color around the window hole on the exterior of the house?

I hope someone understands my questions. I am still not sure about a lot of the terminology!

Thanks!

Welcome Abby! How fun to build a dollhouse with your daughter!

I would recommend punching out the pieces for 1 exterior and 1 interior window, and holding them up to the house. It is much easier to have a visual. But, you are right in your assumption, you will indeed have to paint part of the outside and inside wall the color of your trim. Once you hold the pieces up to your walls, you can trace around them, to give you a guide for painting. And, it is quite possible to make the inside trim different than the outside, they are different pieces. One set goes on the inside, one on the outside.

Hope this makes sense! :)

Have fun!

Thanks for the tip! I really like the idea of tracing around the pieces so I can see where to paint on the sides of the house. And you did explain it very well.

I am looking forward to doing this, but wish I had more room in my house to dedicate to working on it! Sigh....

• 2 weeks later...

We've painted all the window casings and trim and Hannah made the stained glass she wanted for some of the windows! Check out my gallery if you want to see what it's looking like so far. Now we need to paint the exterior of the house so we can start gluing them on!