New fur baby

chapchap73

Well, after a lot of deliberation and looking our family is getting a new puppy! It took forever to find a breeder, but we managed to. Our family has a long love affair with basset hounds; the faces are just irresistible! It is hard to find a responsible breeder; there are so many mills and other horrible places around :(

My DH and I will be taking a trip to pick him up on July 18th. We haven't been away together alone since the kids were born which is how I'm getting him to go since he is really not a dog person(his only flaw)

I'm having a hard time deciding on a name for him :( Usually I see one picture and decide on a name right there, so this is a little frustrating. Maybe it's because his name has to be ok'ed by all the other people in the house lol. My older son and I both like McGee, but my mom and dad are not crazy about it. We were thinking of Proby yesterday, but after my husband collapsed laughing, I'm rethinking it. I'm kind of leaning toward Tobias, Toby for short. What do you guys think? I just can't wait to go get him, or to see Gibbs' face when he finds out he's staying :giggle:

P.S. Gibbs is my avatar, and the new baby will look a lot like him but with more black on his face.

I am just so excited for you!!! We have always had Bassets going back to 1974. The girls grew up with "jowl juice!" I love the way the puppies will walk into their ears and then can't figure out why they can't go anywhere. Need lots of pictures!

A small update, my dad has fallen in love with the name Proby so we're keeping it. It sounds enough like Toby to make me happy :) No pictures yet because he's in NH getting fatter and cuter with his brothers and sisters :giggle:

Janet, my parents got their first basset more than 40 years ago! You are right about when they step on their ears :giggle: It's even better when they try to run; they fall and look at you like it's your fault :ohyeah:

YAY for you! Pictures please. Nothing so cute as puppies...except maybe kittens ;) . More a cat person myself, especially after finding I'm slightly allergic to dogs. Poor Max is an outdoors only becaus of this. Fortunatley he's always been outdoors, was born there literally. I feel guilty when the temp hits 115 or higher so he now has a baby pool filled to the brim to keep him nice and cool and boy does he love it. plays in it all day with his toys. Can't wait to see your new baby. What about naming him Tony? or Dinozzo?

Tony's also my husbands name. Heehee. If I had a dog named that how satisfying would it be to say "No Tony! Bad Tony!" when he's done something wrong. :groucho: Can't do that with hubby without looking crazy . :whistle:

Congratulations on your new puppy! I think bassets are way cute, too...and I'm not a dog person! :) I see you've settled on a name...I have never been able to name any of my furkids until actually laying eyes on them, and usually a name will just "pop up". It's like some sort of "telepathy"...they look at me with their big solemn eyes and "tell" me what they want to be called. :) Yeah, I know, I'm crazy..

Ann, I do not think that is crazy at all! That is usually how we pick our dog's names too. Since he's so far away from us, we can only meet him over the internet which is why we did it this way. Who knows, I may meet him and he'll give me a look that says,"How dare you pick such a silly name for me?" All I know is the time is going to crawl by :(

Kabrina, I can just see your dh slinking away into the corner :rofl:

• 2 weeks later...

Just got home with the little guy at around 5. I always forget how cute they actually are until there's a new one! He was a perfect lamb in the car, just a little yelping and that was all. Of course, as soon as I had spent a little time with him I knew that his name had to be Tobias, Toby for short. Gibbs was a little unsure of him at first (he's never seen a puppy that little before) but now he wants him out of the crate so he can play :giggle: Happy, happy day!

Hounds are wonderful. We used to have a beagle that I was hopelessly in love with. when he passed away it was like someone took my heart and stepped all over it. We have an Australian Shepherd now that I feel the same way about. I dread her leaving! But I'm happy :banana: for you with your new puppy! Nothing smells as delightful as a new little one!

Good luck with him, and the name is adorable too!

He is so cute, but also a real buster if you know what I mean. The big dog is not quite sure what to do with him yet, but he likes him. I forget how much work they are, like a newborn that's mobile lol. Wouldn't give him up for anything.

I also have 2 Basset hounds. They're sisters, 4 years old. This is our second set of Bassets. We've had a male and female before ( not related) many years ago. They're the most lovable fur babies. Even though these 2 are sisters, their personalaties are light night and day. They also have a Bichon sister 16 1/2 years, and a 1 year old Malti-poo brother that they get along with so well. They are very protective of their baby brother. I'm so happy for you! :banana:

Thanks guys! Well, our Toby has been here a week now and I am happy to report we are settling into routine. He is just so cute I can't stand it :) My Gibbs has decided he can stay. For the first couple of days he was a little unsure, but now he has taken to being a first-time parent in stride. Holly, all I get are snuffy hound puppy kisses from both of them. :lol: Gibbs is just like a big baby and the little one is following in his pawprints although he doesn't like my earrings. He tries to bite them off! Just now big dog is having the early morning nap at my feet while little guy is sleeping by my mom in the other room. Toby is not allowed in here until he stops leaking so it's a special privilege which Gibbs knows is only his just reward for being such a fine example of a hound. :)

I remember when The Beautiful Melody was finally big and quick enough to go live outside with Riley, the old hound. There was sparring at first, and then he adapted to the old mentor role quite well! Bassets always impressed me as much snufflier puppies than beagles, who are also snuffly kissers, but more into the rompin' stompin' play mode.