Buttercup Cottage

I've got all the pieces for the first step of the Buttercup Cottage primed, sanded, and dry fit. Boy, this is a lot harder than I expected. Of course it's my newby inexperience that is making everything much harder than it need to be! Let me know if you see anything I need to fix before I go ahead with the next step.

Okay, the forum won't let me provide links or post pictures until I have a 5 post minimum. *sigh*

Try this: paste " wovenflame .blogspot. com/2011/05/dry-fit. html " into your browser without the spaces.

Hi Marlene, it looks great! I discovered the dry-fit (the hard way :p ) during my first build, the Lily, and now I diligently perform it for every build. (I still get in trouble with assembled staircases though!)

I built a Buttercup (in my gallery) last year as one of a duo, and still have its buddy in the box waiting for me to stop being sidetracked with other projects like the Spring Fling; it's a fun little house-- looking forward to seeing what you do with it!

It's looking great and Petunia looks quite pleased with the progress.

She does look pleased, doesn't she. The house isn't for her though, but for an even smaller little elf-woman seamstress, a Fairyland RealPuki Soso. Once again, I can't provide a link until my post count is up.

Marlene, you have five posts...

Yeah, that last one brought the count to five. So lets see if I can get a picture and a link in here for those who didn't want to bother piecing together the previous link.

5776002615_76e1fbd82c.jpg

My blog, which will follow the building of the house, my doll collection, and my fibre arts pursuits.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I usually apply the acetate to theexterior trim and apply them the very last.

Turns out the portion of the window acetate that should have been in the lower sash section really should have been applied to the inside. It doesn't actually fit when applied to the outside (too small). It's a minor thing I guess. I was still able to apply it, but the edges are not covered by the sash pieces.

Now I'm struggling with the exterior finishing. Unfortunately I'm learning through trial and error. I've kept the windows covered and masked off through the process, but there have been other problems. Rather than follow my own inner guidance I listened to my husband's advice and .... .... well, should have followed my original plan. Aw well, live and learn.

Edited by Wovenflame

Turns out the portion of the window acetate that should have been in the lower sash section really should have been applied to the inside. It doesn't actually fit when applied to the outside (too small). It's a minor thing I guess. I was still able to apply it, but the edges are not covered by the sash pieces.

Now I'm struggling with the exterior finishing. Unfortunately I'm learning through trial and error. I've kept the windows covered and masked off through the process, but there have been other problems. Rather than follow my own inner guidance I listened to my husband's advice and .... .... well, should have followed my original plan. Aw well, live and learn.

That's right, I remember now-- I had to go look at my Buttercup album pics-- the windows are double-hung... Trial and error is my primary construction method! B) I had fun with the Buttercup, used up some odd materials I had sitting around...And if you look at my build, the reason there is so much white trim around the foyer area of the house is to cover up some ghastly gaps. (And then I had to trim the rest of the house to match. :p )

if you look at my build, the reason there is so much white trim around the foyer area of the house is to cover up some ghastly gaps. (And then I had to trim the rest of the house to match. )

I quite like all the extra white trim you have on your Buttercup. Must have been a lot of extra work.

Most of my "egad, doh!" moments are having to do with the stucco finish I am doing on the outside. I was going to paint the areas around the window and then apply the exterior window trim, and then do the stucco. Instead I followed my husband's advice to apply the exterior window trim, mask off the windows and trim, then apply the stucco and paint the stucco. The idea was so that the stucco could come right up to the window trim without going under it and making application of the windows difficult. Shouldn't have done that. The stucco and paint is pulling away with the masking. Now I have to go back, sand off any really bad spots of stucco mess, and then try to repaint without getting wall colour on the white window trim. Yup, should've done it my way.

In my husband's defence he did say I should cut around the window trim with a craft knife before pulling away the tape. That just wasn't a doable option in some of the tight spaces. Wish me luck. **sob**

I had forgotten about the Buttercup windows. I built four as my intro to GL houses and did all sorts of problem solving I've since forgotten all about, and moved on. I do remember removing the interior window trim to apply the acetate that goes there, and that's how I learned to prep the windows, apply the acetate, and lay them aside in a ziplock bag until the very last thing.

Hi Marlene. I saw you posted on my blog back in May, but I don't know if you can see my response. If this is your first house, you're doing way better than I did. The Buttercup I'm now working on is a second attempt. I utterly destroyed the first one and now I'm using what's leftover as scrap wood. Technically this is still my first dollhouse though, since I didn't finish the original. I've already learned a few things to avoid though. Don't worry, there are lots of creative ways to cover up mistakes. My solution is curtains. Lot of curtains. And I'm claiming this wallpaper accident is an accent wall.

DSC00722.jpg

Yes, it's my very first dollhouse build. Unfortunately I am frequently finding out how NOT to do things after it is already too late and I have to improvise!

This was actually my adult daughter's kit, which she bought on a clearance sale. She finally realized that with two small children and a lot of other hobbies vying for her time she was never actually going to build it.

Don't worry, there are lots of creative ways to cover up mistakes. My solution is curtains. Lot of curtains. And I'm claiming this wallpaper accident is an accent wall.

I'll be using curtains a lot too. Really not happy with the walls within the bay window. I would have stained them, but only thought of that after I had primed for paint. Same goes for around the windows of the lower floor. I had planned to use stain there but didn't realize that parts of the wall would show within the window casings and I had primed them. Hence the dark brown paint instead of stain. *sigh*

I totally understand your "accent wall". Luckily that is ONE thing I did realize before it was too late. I'm still having it as an accent wall though, just different from the downstairs. I'll be wallpapering the ceiling/wall of the upper floor in a coordinating print.

5918698785_67b4ded011.jpg

I have the acetate windows installed and I'm now working on the exterior stucco. I'm having problems, again related to not knowing in what order to do things.

Edited by Wovenflame

I think it was either my second or third Buttercup I started making interior trim (for the parts that don't have it) from posterboard.

Hmmm, maybe I'll do that for the interior of that front door area. I was considering using the same balsa wood that I've been using for the baseboards, but of course can't get the curve for the top of the over the door window.

I don't know if anyone has noticed, but I've eliminated the tall narrow windows that were beside the door. I felt it looked too busy, and I also want to put a coat hook on one side and an umbrella stand on the floor at the other side. On the outside, getting rid of the windows will allow room for a wall mounted mailbox on one side and maybe some sort of shop sign on the other side.

Edited by Wovenflame

Those tall side windows didn't have trim, either. You can get the curves with basswood if you use a sturdy, brand new knife blade and clamp your wood down VERY firmly and take your time, or else cut them on a scrollsaw (like I did for the second Sugarplum Cottage I did using wood in place of the chipboard half-timbering), but it's a whole lot easier with the posterboard!

Those tall side windows didn't have trim, either. You can get the curves with basswood if you use a sturdy, brand new knife blade and clamp your wood down VERY firmly and take your time, or else cut them on a scrollsaw (like I did for the second Sugarplum Cottage I did using wood in place of the chipboard half-timbering), but it's a whole lot easier with the posterboard!

I'm thinking posterboard would be too thin and paint would warp it. Am I wrong? Do you have a photo of that part of your Buttercup? Maybe what I think of as "posterboard" (available for school reports and displays) is not the same as what you are using. I'm wondering if you are using something more like the matting board used for framing pictures?

Those tall side windows didn't have trim, either.

Yes, yet another reason why I eliminated them! :)

This is so Cute!!! I Love it!! I Love your dolls too :)

Thanks! The doll in the pictures is just a "guest" poser until the doll the house was intended for arrives. That may be today! Tracking says the parcel is in my community, finally, after spending 10 days at Customs Canada.

Marlene, this is me! I used el cheapo posterboard from the dollar store and I cut it with my craft knife, and I glued bits of paperlace doily on some of it and I painted it and it curled, and when it was dry I ran a bead of tacky glue on the back (curves and all) and clamped it into place around the doors and windows and when it was dry it looked "finished" and lay FLAT. This is how I discovered that there are few warp problems with very thin stock that cannot be worked with, and if an idea works and is simple/ cheap I go with it. I don't have pictures of the interiors, but in my "Houses" albums on the second page are pictures of the last two Buttercups I built, they all sold.