Crown Moulding

chapchap73

So, the time I have been dreading has arrived.....crown molding!?! Can anyone tell me an easy way to cut those darn angles :mad: They are driving me crazy! I know someone posted a way to do it because I remember reading it and saying,"What a good idea, I'll have to remember that." I can't remember what was in it or who posted it however which is why I am asking. Thanks in advance!

It's ironic that you bring this up because I just found a site here on Greenleaf that had 2 photos that immediately made my life simpler. I'm terribly sorry that I can't give credit to the creator of this but I'm sure she'll (he'll?) recognize the photos and be able to step forward.

The first is a bare bones drawing of how to mark the piece of moulding and then where to cut it. Its so simple that I honestly don't know why I had trouble with it in the first place.

The second is an ALTERNATIVE to mitre cuts. I also love this idea because depending on just how big you make the corner piece, you can use shorter pieces of crown that you might have ordinarily put in your scrap pile. I'm going to use this technique in the scratch-built Victorian I'm researching right now. I think it will compliment the head blocks (used on the corners of doors & windows instead of mitre cuts) I plan on installing.

post-2217-0-91483100-1306500139_thumb.jp

post-2217-0-11046900-1306500178_thumb.jp

It's ironic that you bring this up because I just found a site here on Greenleaf that had 2 photos that immediately made my life simpler. I'm terribly sorry that I can't give credit to the creator of this but I'm sure she'll (he'll?) recognize the photos and be able to step forward...

...me > kicking.gif stepping forward...sort of...?

You're welcome Jennifer.

Thanks soooo much! I just knew you guys would save me. :flowers: Jennifer, the block picture is exactly the one I was thinking of! Seeing it brought it back to me; now I just have to find enough scrap to make blocks :ohyeah: