Now, why was I so nervous?

shutterbugkc

I was so excited about a week ago when the clapboard siding, crown molding, and baseboards I ordered came in! :p I had been dreading and looking forward to my first attempt with these little "extras". I think I was just remembering how much work it is to deal with real house trim. What a headache! :o

But, when my stuff came in I was so relieved! It isn't so scary in person. I couldn't believe I could just cut it with a utility knife and corners could be mitered with sandpaper! Why was I dreading this? And it looks so cool! I have been working on the trim and siding in alsmost every spare second I've had over the last week (that's why I haven't been here much.) I'm all done with the trim and almost all done with the siding on my Arthur. I can't begin to say how excited I am that it's turning out so well! B)

I really wish I could post some pictures, but I don't have a digital camera and I'm only half way through this roll of film. I'll post them as soon as I have them!

Hi Shutterbug,

How awesome that you enjoyed working with your trim!! Can't wait to see photos. One tool that I think you might like if you plan to do more work with trim is an Easy Cutter made by Midwestern Products

http://www.midwestproducts.com/midwest_easy_cutter.htm

- It's a hand tool simular to a garden clipper but the bottom has a flat plate to lay your trim on with angle markings to line the wood up - it makes cutting Mitred pieces a Breeze!! I didn't want to pay that much for one (I'm ultra cheap) so I went to Harbor Frieght and got a cheapie with no mitre markings - let me tell ya the real thing works SO much better it's almost like cutting butter when you use it on balsa and it's great with other woods too! Also don't forget that some stores offer 40% off coupons regularly -that's how I got mine, with a coupon :D After buying mine I can honestly say it would have been worth paying full price for it - plus I think it's safer than using a utility knife.

-David

David is right. Those easy cutters are great! But let me add one more thing about them. Replacing the blades when they become dull can be a nightmare, from what I've heard. I've had my cutter for a few years now and haven't replaced the blade and probably never will. I've read several accounts where the thing just isn't the same once you take the old blade out and it can be a headache to put the new one in.

A solution? A knife sharpener or sharpening stone. If you resharpen the original blade when it becomes dull, you should never have to replace it.

A quickie keep-sharp fix you might want to try -- in fact, I'm going to do it before I do any trim cutting with my Easy Cutter this week -- is to use it to cut a little sandpaper. This works on your kitchen scissors, too.

I love my Easy Cutter -- could not have shingled the entire Arthur without it!