Dolls?

aimeegirl

Hi everyone!

I was wondering, for those that don't make your own dolls, where would be the best place to get one or some? I'm looking for something reasonable of course.

I'm not looking for strictly 'white' folks either, I'd love some multi-culture/interracial dolls.

Any help would be much appreciated, and thank you :)

Dolls can be bought all ready to move in from various online sites, HBS (http://www.miniatures.com ) for one, They carry on good range of dolls. You can also purchase from eBay. If there is a dollhouse shop in your area, they would sell dolls, as would dollhouse shows.

I have not found it easy to find non-white little people, although I do have some commercial dolls. I now look for artisans making doll kits who have all kinds. This does require that you put the kit together, wig it, and dress it. If you want to go this way, http://www.minikitz.com/ and Ellen's World http://ellensworld.net/ have an international mix of little people. I am sure there are other artisans also.

B)

I buy my minis at a local dollhouse shop, and at miniature shows. You can find resin dolls - while there is a predominance of white characters, there are also dolls with various racial heritages. As Judith mentioned, you can find doll kits with multi-racial figures - not just artisan ones, but "regular" ones poured from molds. I live in Canada, and don't buy online, so can't recommend anything specific - but they are out there!

My extended family is also multi-racial, and I have been experimenting with making my own dolls for some years now. Polymer clay is very easy to work with ... I haven't created anything spectacular, but I'm having fun!

I forgot to mention that the doll kits sold by Minikitz are made by Sandy Calderon (who also has her own site http://www.sandycalderon.com).

I am attaching a photo of the two doll kits I bought from Minikitz: a woman and a man. They have not been wigged yet, and are not fully dressed but are "decent" for their photograph! The man's name is Evan Richards and I think his mother is Mabel, but she is very quiet about it!

B)

post-47-0-41832000-1305040996_thumb.jpg

Wow ..thanks everyone!! You are all a wealth of information .. I love it :)

When I went to Hobby Lobby last night (they have 50% off dollhouse furniture and accessories until the 14th I think?) I saw small families.. man/woman/child but they were all white as the driven snow and blonde at that! They weren't terribly expensive considering the half off sale, but my husband is black and he was with me and since he is helping me build this wonderful doll house and supporting my hobby I didn't want to pick up a white bread family (no offense to anyone!). So I will check out those listings, thanks again!

Gina Gagnon -- Wolfie here on the forum -- makes great dolls. www.lonewolfminiaturecreations.com

She can create custom made dolls, or has several on her website. I'm especially fond of those listed in her Cat-alog.... :)

I forgot to mention that the doll kits sold by Minikitz are made by Sandy Calderon (who also has her own site http://www.sandycalderon.com).

I am attaching a photo of the two doll kits I bought from Minikitz: a woman and a man. They have not been wigged yet, and are not fully dressed but are "decent" for their photograph! The man's name is Evan Richards and I think his mother is Mabel, but she is very quiet about it!

Judith, those are so cute!!

Judith, those are so cute!!

Thanks, Tracy. I am dressing them so that they wil be ready to go to Westerly (Westville) for a summer at the seashore. I am really happy to have them.

I also forgot to mention that the kits are porcelain, very well made, and only $19 apiece at Minikitz!!

B)

Hi everybody,

Thanks for all the sites and info!

I actually made my own dolls this weekend from polymer clay. I have to say, you really dont know what you're capable of til you try! I am so so so ultra proud of my Little Family! I'm not done yet, i'm working on a little boy actually.. prob be done tomorrow night i'm thinking. I love love love Sculpey's baking clay, such an easy thing to use and not terribly expensive either! Now making cloths for them, thats a whole other show. Such a pain in the butt!! (Well i'm using felt instead of material.. I really should invest in some yardage soon). Anyway, see attached :) Let me know what you think of them!

post-7346-0-35181000-1305509890_thumb.jp

post-7346-0-81758500-1305509922_thumb.jp

post-7346-0-57956100-1305509989_thumb.jp

You did a great job! I love polymer clay, and I can see that you do too. Your dolls are very cute - and I love their little pets, too. :) I agree with you on the clothes - I think they're harder to do than the dolls themselves.

The people are cute, but the dog totally blows me away for cuteness! As you play with the clay you can tweak the features with really simple tools. I use the glass head of a pin to make eyesockets for babies & children and the small round end of a cake decorator tool for adults and a craft knife tip for tiny details like fingers, mouths & eyelids, when I got to that point. As for fabric for clothing, it takes so little! I started out with DH's old shirts and the occasional fat quarter (quilting) and old handkerchiefs, and then discovered that thrift stores sell a lot of old silk & cotton clothing (natural fabrics work best for mini clothes) in small patterns.