OK I stopped lurking

jennybee

Afternoon everyone,

My name is Jenn and I’m new to the miniature dollhouse world.

I just purchased my first kit (the Buttercup) and it should be here this week. I’m really glad I came across your forum because there isn’t that much info down here where I live. Odd you say? I thought so too until I checked the local bookstores and they don’t carry anything- not even magazines. I did however find the dollhouse magazine but that was in a store an hour & ½ drive away. Haha

I did get our local library to borrow some books from other libraries which will help me a lot I think.

I have a question tho –

I had told someone that I purchased the Buttercup kit and they said it was a very hard first kit to do. They said the wood is very thin and can break easily. Is this true? I know many of you have built it and the Orchid which is from the same company. Don't get me wrong I don't mind a challenge and I have lots of patience but i was just wondering.

Many thanks,

Jenn

!WELCOME!

the buttercup is a nice starter kit.

it is a diecut slot and tab construction and although it is thinner than the mdf kits

you shouldnt have any breakage of the house part of the build...now when you get to punching the windows and trims out you could break some of that...but Im here to tell you that it usually can be fixed with some glue and a clamp. no big deal really.

its all a matter of personal preference.but if its for learning and trying new things the Buttercup is your best bet!

Im glad you found us!

nutti

:)

ps...I have built 2 Buttercups and I didnt find it a hard kit

it can be a very quick build.

have fun and dont forget to take photos!

Welcome to the Neighborhood Jenn!

I LOVE the buttercup and I also did not find it hard to build. I have durecraft kits that have the same wood for trim and yeah sometimes it can break while punching them out but I am here to tell you that it is a simple & fun kit to build! You'll love it. You can make your kit as complicated as your taste buds wants or as simple as you may want.

Find the kit that is right for you because I can tell you some people LOVE the thick MDF or cabinet thick wood but me personally, I do better with the diecut kits. If you like dollhouses I can promise you it won't be your last and you will more than like buy other band kits too :) We ALL have :D it's part of the addiction to the hobby :D I also think no matter which brand you go with, dollhouse building is not an overnight thing to do. All of them look better if it's not a rush job.

I stressed over the duracraft kits and greenleaf kits then the real good toys kits in the beginning too. You know why? It's because all of them have a different way in writing there directions :D so every "new" kit is a little scary and the addiction is what gets you past the fright!

:D

Have you picked out colors yet? What about a theme? Here is the link to my buttercup house.

Hi Jen,

I've heard a few bad things said about the Buttercup but I Never could figure out why - It's a great little house! Like everyone else said it's tab and slot and made of thin ply wood but these houses are Much stronger than they appear! Don't let that thin looking wood fool you they can be Very sturdy! The only house I've had trouble punching out of the sheets was an old Tiffani that I bought at a garage sale - the box was falling appart and it had obvious water damage - that thing splintered badly! It's the only time I've had to a lot of sanding and filling and a couple of the thin window trim pieces did break - but like I said that's the only time I've had that happen and it was a really OLD kit that had been stored in really bad conditions. I'm a big yard sale shopper and have bought some of these houses that have been just thrown together, played with, colored on, stickered over and really beat up! And they still make over wonderfully! So I'm a big fan of them - they go together easily - hold up wonderfully and can be remade if you ever decide you want to change it :D

Right now we're having an Orchid build here on the forum where some of use working on Orchids at the same time - if you want you can check out the progress of how the kits are being put together by clicking on BLOGS at the top of the page in the brown bar - that will take you to the Blogs section - then look for Orchid, there are team builders and community builders :) I think you'll be surprised how many things can be done with one kit and how really easy Greenleaf kits are to use :D especially the smaller houses - nope I don't get paid - I just love these guys! :lol:

And you're not alone in having to drive. The only dollhouse magazine carried around me is Miniature Collector and the bookstores don't stock it - just the big News Stands - to get any other magazine I drive an hour each direction to get to our one and only miniature store - it's a trip but it makes for a nice mini vacation :D and I'm lucky to be able to make a day of it, shop for minis, stop for lunch and just take the day nice and slow - it's my "Me" day :p

Welcome to the world of miniatures

-David :D

Welcome to the forum Jenn! The Buttercup is an adorable little house! It's a pretty easy build, but watch out for the windows. If you don't read the instructions (like I didn't) you may end up having to take window trim back off like I had to do .... That'll teach me to not read....

Howdy again,

Thanks for the welcomes.

I like the me days too David - It gives the husband garage time and me from not asking if he can turn something small enough to be used in the house - he has a small laythe (sp?) Little does he know i may have to borrow it sometime. hehe

Also yes I have been thinking about colors and or theme Tracy. I just love your house, that stone work looks awsome! I have actually been playing with photoshop coloring a picture i got off the web to see what i liked. If you don't mind me asking what did you make your roof out of, is that clay of sorts?

As soon as I get it (hopefully tonight) I'll start taking pictures so I will have a whole collection of my first house.

Its just amazing what you all have done with your houses. Anybody have a favorite beginner or a great all about dollhouse miniatures that would help a beginner? I know there is a ton out there but i was thinking of buying a few and without being able to actually see any yet I thought I'd ask.

Thanks again,

Jenn

Also yes I have been thinking about colors and or theme Tracy. I just love your house, that stone work looks awsome! I have actually been playing with photoshop coloring a picture i got off the web to see what i liked. If you don't mind me asking what did you make your roof out of, is that clay of sorts?

Thank you for your comments on my house! I used clay to make the roof and stones and stucco on the house

:)

It's a lot of fun! I also omitted a lot of the windows on that buttercup when I built it. The windows is a wonderful feature on this house because it looks as if it is movable though it is not (the Double hung design sets it apart from the sugarplum & Arthur in a good way) .

http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/i...m&album=341

and here you will find a Buttercup done by the daughter of one of our members for their fair this year.

she did an amazing job!

I know you can do a great job once you get started...dont let all those pieces scare you...

remember they WANT to be a pretty house for you! :D

nutti :)

Welcome Jenn & I'm looking forward to seeing your Buttercup. I did one about 10 years ago for my mom -- it's a thatched cottage -- and my cat actually crept up and sat on the roof, so don't worry too much about it being 'flimsy'. Once they're together, they're very sturdy. It's a great little house with lots of possibilities. I've seen them turned into small castles, shops, all sorts of things. It's not hard to build and you'll be able to get really creative with it.

I know what you mean about not having any shops or resources nearby. I live in the boonies, too, so I use the web a lot. Course I'm not so far out that I have to drive 8 1/2 hours to find stuff :lol:

I got it I got it !! And its not scary at all

Did anyone elses Buttercup come with an extra # 7 sheet?

I guess that is incase i didn't want the bay window. I'll save that incase I want to add something to another house later on.

So far I have the the first assembly part donel. Next will be the bay window area. I'm thinking about either stucco or stone for the outside, but i will have to practice for the stone effect.

I'll try to take some pictures tonight before i get any further. But right now it prob looks about like any other even down to my pretty blue masking tape. :lol:

Yes, that is a pretty house nutti, she did a greatd job. I like the roof. The possibilities are endless. I do have a feeling I will need a bigger room to hold my new addiction tho LOL

OOOOO congratulations!

there is nothing like opening a brand new dollhouse kit!

the smell, the feel, the ideas and the endless possibilties always make opening the kit a wonderful

experience. no matter how many you have done before.

Im looking forward to seeing your house come to life.

have you thought about what it will be when it grows up?

a shop? a cottage?

do you have colors in mind?

have fun!

nutti :lol:

Welcome to our addiction! It's so much fun when a new kit arrives when you get to do all that planning and dreaming about what the house will become. I have not built the Buttercup but it can be so many different things. Enjoy!

Lesson # 1 i have learned by the noob....

Count, double check, recount, tripple check....

So this weekend i was all excited to put the bay window on my dh and then i can start the next stage. So i start looking for sheet # 4 ;)

I could have sworn i saw it in the beginning, but then i relaize hey this must be why i got the extra sheet # 7.

Bah now I have to wait till Monday to call customer service and hopefulle they can ship me the sheet i need. If not i just won't have the bay window. lol lesson learned.

Ok i'm off to work on other projects, has anyone else ever had that happen to them - have a missing sheet?

Thanks,

Jenn

not me personaly

but I know some who have...but there is plenty to do while you wait this is for sure.

you can punch, sand,paint/stain the trim

you can start wallpapering what you do have.

you can do your floors.

you can make furniture or other assecories

and you can take photos and post them so we can all share your progress

nutti ;)

Hello Nutti,

Yes I will post pics hehe

I have been practicing on a piece of cardboard today some stucco effect. I think it will be kind of a good thing that i have to wait on the other parts. I can get into the nooks & crannies easier for the inside walls. I'm thinking of stuccoing the inside and then add that to the outside with maybe stone around the windows & doors.

Ok back to painting on cardboard ;)

what stucco effect are you trying?

I like the Tissue/paint method

it looks great when done.

HHolly uses spackle with great success as did Ilovecats and a couple of others.

I like to add sand to my paint for a textured look also

actually on my daughters Buttercup the girls used tissue/modpodge for a stucco look

looking forward to seeing your progress

nutti ;)