Dremel Attachment

AmyD

I'm so glad that the forum is back, really missed it.

I'm working on an addition and I have to cut out a space in the wall (the house is already built) for double french doors. I bought a Dremel Flex Shaft. It's a tool that one end attaches directly onto the Dremel and it has a long flexable cord or shaft about 3 feet long and on the other end has the part where you can put the drill bit, into. It looks like a fat pen. You can hold it like a pen and get a lot more control while cutting wood, or etching word, sanding. This tool is great for those who aren't used to cutting with a regular dremel. I just need a little more practice and than I can cut my hole for the french doors.

I have been wanting that accessory for the longest time. I keep holding back because the lowest price I have found for it is $17.95 on Amazon.com (okay wait... the price went up and now it's $25!! :doh: ) and I only paid $30 for my entire dremel tool! I guess it is probably worth it though...

I have cut metal clamps, screws and bolts with my dremel, but have not done any detail cutting. I need to make some cuts on my SF kit and was thinking about getting the attachment to help me with that...

Does it cut easily through wood? Do you use the cutting bits that look like drill bits? I know that when I cut through bolts and such the thing is a bear to control and sometimes gets away from me, but I use the cutting discs for that (not the straight bit). I have to wear work gloves, goggles, and a respirator (for the metal dust). I am hoping cutting wood is not as a big of an ordeal!!!!

Edited by jrwils0972

We have an attachment like that and recently got the small blades that look like tiny circular saw blades. The man of the house helped me use them to make some cuts for my Rosedale bash (he did the cutting, I haven't practiced enough with it yet). There's a picture on my blog here that shows how close he was able to get to make the cuts. We have also used the bits but those aren't good for straight lines and square corners.

We have an attachment like that and recently got the small blades that look like tiny circular saw blades. The man of the house helped me use them to make some cuts for my Rosedale bash (he did the cutting, I haven't practiced enough with it yet). There's a picture on my blog here that shows how close he was able to get to make the cuts. We have also used the bits but those aren't good for straight lines and square corners.

Wow, thank you! Excellent pictures and it is really good to know the bits don't do well with straight cuts. I am thinking I will definitely need some kind of shaft attachment. They made the rotary tools so darn huge and bulky that you can't even get anywhere near what you are cutting! It's all a conspiracy to get you to buy the attachment that costs the same price as the tool! Hahaha... :yikes:

I've got to get me a real Dremel. I bought a cheap knock off at a yard sale and its horrible. I had a Dremel before I did dollhouses and gave it away! I figured a knock off would be just as good. NOT! At least not the one I got.

I will have to get this tool, also.

I love my flexshaft for detail sanding in hard-to-access places. I would never use a cutting wheel or sawblade on it, only on the rotary tool itself, and only mounted securely in a horizontal mount, like a mini table saw. I did get one of the Dremels that looks like it's mounted in a giant presserfoot with a cutting bit and cut my openings for Mildred's bashed left wall (senile moment, can't recall the name; Deb had posted about it last year).

I want to check out that circular blade. Can you attach it to the flexshaft? I just love tools....lol
Unlesss you love tools more than safety or your body parts, I STRONGLY recommend you only to use that circular blade with the rotary tool, and have that tool SECURELY mounted so nothing moves but the blade. The least knot or imperfection in the wood, or cutting anywhere but with the grain can cause the blade to hang up or, worse, kick out with truly ghastly consequences.

Unlesss you love tools more than safety or your body parts, I STRONGLY recommend you only to use that circular blade with the rotary tool, and have that tool SECURELY mounted so nothing moves but the blade. The least knot or imperfection in the wood, or cutting anywhere but with the grain can cause the blade to hang up or, worse, kick out with truly ghastly consequences.

Thanks for the advise. I love my body parts more.