New Garfield pictures

uppitycats

I just uploaded a few new shots of my Garfield.. I have to shingle the roof. My husband is making copper flashings for all the grooves and the rooftop, then I'll be able to shingle. The tower is shingled though -- the rest of the roof will be the same (well, of course! <_< )

And windows are on order -- french doors, and working internal and external doors. It's coming along. I've got a ton of furniture, but haven't put it in place yet, as I keep moving the house around to work on it..

anyway. There you go! :lol:

wow you have really made alot of progress!

and it looks good!

love the colors of the house and all the wallpaper looks wonderful!

looking forward to seeing it furnished!

thanks for sharing!

nutti <_<

Its at least 3 of us that have a yellow kitchen in the garfield, you, me & Irene (IAK). Anyone else? LOL :D

My kitchen is yellow too, :lol: that room must call out to everyone 'make me the kitchen and make me yellow' <_< :p .

Your Garfield is beautiful! I wanted to build that model as my first house but read somewhere it was difficult to build so I choose a Duracraft model instead. I really do love the charm of this house and your paint scheme.

Your Garfields are all so beautiful! I hope that I can make mine as nice. Uppitycats, how did you make your floors look like old floorboards? Love them!!

:)

Your Garfield is beautiful! I wanted to build that model as my first house but read somewhere it was difficult to build so I choose a Duracraft model instead. I really do love the charm of this house and your paint scheme.

Chime in all you Garfield builders... it wasn't THAT hard to build... It was my first one done by myself. Had built much smaller ones when I was a kid, over 10 years ago. I did not have any help, except for the WONDERFUL advice from all the seasoned builders here, and I was able to complete it well. Sinceit is a more detailed house there were a few times where rthe directions left some ot be desired, but you walk away and eventually the lightbulb comes on and you say to yourself "oh yes, that 's how I can put that piece on!". and Wha-la! you hav your very own Garfield... or whatever house you decide to build!

YOU CAN DO IT.... just make sure you have the room for it and it will fit through your doorways! It is BIG!!! :)

Your Garfields are all so beautiful! I hope that I can make mine as nice. Uppitycats, how did you make your floors look like old floorboards? Love them!!

:D

You can thank my husband for that inspiration...and help! The wood is the wood that comes in the kit, carefully sanded smooth. And then scored -- I'm forgetting the width, now, but to scale, and then lines grooved into the wood. Then horizontal lines drawn to resemble planking -- again to scale -- all across the flooring. Took a very long time. But we did it together, and had some lovely conversations which might have gone unspoken had we not been working on it together! :D

Then after we scored it all, I gave it several coats of a clear varnish, sanding in between coats -- so it's almost as hard as a "real" floor. It really does look nice.

Every once in awhile he gets inspired to help me "big time" -- as in right now, when he decided that the roof needed real copper flashing. So I've put off shingling while he's measuring and cutting the copper sheets to fit in the grooves and across the roof peak. He'll say things like.. "...well, the shingles have to go over the flashing here, otherwise the roof'll leak...." and I remind him that I DO hope the house never gets rained on! :D And he looked at the little lightening rods we saw in one miniature magazine, and he's already planning how to make some for the house, with little blue glass balls he found in a bead catalog.

If you go here: http://community.webshots.com/user/uppitycats you'll see the same pictures of the dollhouse that I've posted here...but also the jewelry my husband crafts when he's not holding stuff in place while I glue on my house.. :D

As for it being difficult to build: I've never done anything like this before. I'm a pretty good cook, I used to weave, and I tend my cats...but this sort of thing? Never. Now, I have had help from my husband -- but mainly helping to hold stuff, or clamp when I wasn't able to manipulate the clamps. But I've primarily done the work myself. I'm in a wheelchair, so some stuff has taken longer than maybe it needed to, and sometimes life got in the way -- illness and family emergencies and other stuff -- but I've kept plugging away.

I don't know if the Garfield is "hard" as it's the only house I've built. It has been a challenge, and there have been times when, if I would have had a fireplace, I might have considered turning it into firewood! :) ...but it has certainly been worth all the time I've put in to it..now that it's near completion.

And I have to confess...I've been looking around to see what I might build the next time....

Chime in all you Garfield builders... it wasn't THAT hard to build... YOU CAN DO IT....

just make sure you have the room for it and it will fit through your doorways! It is BIG!!! :D

Chiming in.....I didn't think it was too difficult. It's was my first build also, so I don't have anything else to compare with....YET, tee hee. :D Yes it is a very large dollhouse. Just last week my husband and I carried it upstairs from the basement where I built it. We had to take the door off the hinges that leads into the garage. :D But now it is sitting very comfortable in my living room. Just finishing up a few details. I really don't think you are ever really done. Always things to add. It looks so cute, I just can't stop looking at it. I can't believe I built it.... :) Whenever we have guests my DH always likes to show it off to them. I think he is proud of my accomplishment.

Also I must say I love looking at everybody elses Garfield. Every one is different and unique. Great job everybody.

The garfield wasn't that hard to build you just have to have the space for it :p . I built mine back in 1988, give or take a year, it was a graduation gift from my parents. It sat there until three years ago when DH and I moved into a house big enough to fit it. Actually we moved into our house seven years ago but it took a while to get here. Settleing in after moving, birth of Amber and all the fuss of a newborn, Chris starting school and then the remodeling of the game room and to build a table, as DH said, worthy to hold it and give it the yard it deserves :lol: . Yes this is the same man that complains about it now :D . But I know he is proud of it because he has shown it off to everybody he knows. The moving was a royal pain in the butt. At the time we had a mini van and it did fit (barely) once we took out all the seats and then we had park in the back yard and take the doors off the hinges to get it into the house. But it was worth it to have 'my baby' back with me. ;)