What's everyone working on?

This weekend I put in the basic landscaping in for the Haunted Heritage. I plan to add more detailing, weeds and mushrooms and such, but I'm trying to get the outside ready enough for some fun Halloween photos. Lots of pics in my gallery: http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/index.php?app=gallery&album=5254

I wallpapered the Tennyson this last weekend, but it didn't turn out right and I spent a lot of time yesterday ripping it back out. I may have to sand the walls to get the residual bits off. But on the bright side, now I know how to make it look like an old house with peeling paper! LOL.

• Like 1

I finished "Madam Tessie's Fortunetelling Emporium" a couple of days ago. Now I am cleaning my workroom and looking for something new to play with. The Emporium warming party is still going on at the blog if you want to see.

• Like 1

I've been working on the porch of my half scale rowhouse. I want the front of this house to have lots of pretty trim like the houses in San Francisco, but it's amazing how this stuff adds up... I've spent almost $50 on materials for the porch alone! (And it's not a big porch!)

Once I realized it wasn't centered I couldn't "unsee" it, so I actually pulled it off after taking these pictures.

Ugh! Don't you just hate that? You attach something to the house ..you finally get it on right (cause the glue and everything else has been fighting you all the way) you take a picture to post, then look at the picture and go "Ah S**#". I have a piece sitting on my work table right now that I know I should fix, but it fought me so hard and now that it's finally on, I just can't bring myself to take it apart again, at least not right now.

• Like 1

This weekend I am going on a scrapbooking retreat. Only thing is I am not a scrapbooker!! But my best friend is, and she has been telling all her scrapbook friends about my dollhouses. So, I've been invited, and I am bringing one of my houses to work on. :)

I've been torn on what to work on, but I think I am going to bring my niece's house that I have been ignoring and dragging my feet on. I think I can come very close to finishing it with some focus. So that will be fun.

I need to think about what all I need to take, and what to carry it in. I don't want to bring too much stuff, but need to make sure I have what I need. I'm going to try and get the last area primed, and maybe even spackled before I go. I don't want to take something that big and messy.

Well I hit a little mini gold mine today. My building is undergoing renovations; paint, new carpet and the wall paper in the hallways has been striped off and is being replaced with tile. Well when I took the garbage out I ran into one of the tile guys and asked him if I could have the scraps they cut off from the tiles. He said yes, and just brought me a big bag of real tile, so now I'm going to go through it to see just how much of it I can use for floors, bathrooms, kitchens and countertops etc. Whoo Hoo...sometimes all ya gotta do is ask... now if I can just arrange to run into the carpet guys.....

• Like 1

While I was mooning around the other day trying to find a Golden Gate View to call my own, I came across a quarter inch scale Little Pond Cottage Kit by Sue Herber on eBay, and snapped it up fast. It's so darling! I like checking where in the U.S. it is as it makes its way to me. I've got a 1/4 scale artisan wicker rocking chair that will be just right on the porch.

Isn't the house cute?

post-15386-0-33803600-1351221909.jpg

I was working on a small lazer cut house but I cant find the larger peices. I have a doll house under my bed and its missing a peice and the company does not make that house amymore so im up a creek without a paddle and I realy love the style of that house

Finally finished my little Queen Anne Table. Those little drawer pulls about did me in! Guess I didn't have the little hole quite big enough and I thought I was going to smash everything before I got the wires in place! I'll start with bigger holes on the next one! :bangin:

post-4286-0-38738300-1351236030_thumb.jp

• Like 2

I was working on a small lazer cut house but I cant find the larger peices. I have a doll house under my bed and its missing a peice and the company does not make that house amymore so im up a creek without a paddle and I realy love the style of that house

Which house is it? Someone here might be able to help.

CJ, your table is lovely! What color stain did you use? I have a few of these kits stashed away for winter work :)

Thanks, Sarah. The instruction sheet said most of these tables were originally made from mahogany, so I got the Minwax Polyshades; Stain and Polyurethane in 1 Step; Bombay Mahogany Satin #380.

I was very happy with the color and shine of it. Of course, the top has about 5 coats, brushed and polished between each one!

Judith, I think RL carpeting is a bit large for in the dh, but greens or browns might be just the thing for landscaping. CJ, the table turned out GORGEOUS!

Nah, not this stuff. It's very low pile, heavy traffic type stuff. If I could find some scraps it would be perfect. Might have to do a little dumpster diving...or at the very least from floor to floor surveillance. I thought about asking them when they were doing my floor, cause the had lots of scraps laying about, but I didn't want to get in the way or bother them.

Finished the rowhouse porch! I'm psyched with how it turned out, exactly how I imagined it. My favorite thing about half scale (well, besides the space-saving aspect) is getting creative with supplies that aren't actually meant to be used in half scale. More pics and some how-to here.

I also trimmed up the little bay window on the side of the house, using the trim I ripped off the porch last week when I realized the design needed to be centered.

post-7-0-45489800-1351395196_thumb.jpg post-7-0-04960500-1351395188_thumb.jpg post-7-0-98265800-1351395191_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Here are some hot sales this week:

Micro Marks 20% off any order.

Joann's Fabrics:

40% off sewing and crafting tables and cutting mats.

50% off fabric and trim.

40% off holiday/Christmas decor.

Online only:

any one regular-priced item*

Use promotion code FHS301

VALID THROUGH OCT. 27, 2012

Free shipping

with $35 minimum purchase

Use promotion code KAA301

VALID THROUGH OCT. 27, 2012

spacer.gif

Visited the local scrapbooking store yesterday accompanied by my MIL, that was a fun visit, found a couple of punches I didn'thave that will work great creating leaves.

Have also received some goodies in the mail that will be going into the outside of the lighthouse and will rearranging those this idea crept up on me... What about adding a wine celler basement??? Blasted imagination... That eould mean to add 8 inches or so and a double "ground leverl" kind of deal, but it IS tempting... Need to sketch it outa little more I think,it will also mean that a huge amount af bottles will be needed... :whistle:

Hugs

Just a few "coming along pics" of the lighthouse, still thinking about the possibility of adding a wine cellar with an exterior cellar flight of stairs leading it o it....

http://naominiblog.wordpress.com/2012/10/28/staging-the-rooms/

The flowers on the nitstand needs to be changed as the red bowl ( a great find at the Danish show at Farum made by Carol Mann) sets the colours in a different shade so will have to do something differently compared to what I had done earlier.

Hugs

• Like 1

Anna, I am in love with your lighthouse. I like the shoes by the bed and the flowers go so nicely with their vase, why not move them to the kitchen? Your floors are gorgeous. What about bashing a lean-to to one side for the wine?

:blush: Thank you Holly, it has been speaking sternly yet softly about what it wants ( and that includes some sort of stair thingy) but I will definitly sketch around and see how/if we go with the wine cellar idea. Think I need to try to make my own molds for wine bottles as well then, will be an interesting path to follow... As for the flowers I too love the combo but it clashrs with the rest wine/burgundy beige tones, but they just might work in the kitchen, I am off to see... :eekout:

Hugs