What's everyone working on?

Dang it. I broke my favorite window on the Chantilly. (the top window that had really cool mullions....i'll have to take a photo. I was putting a roof piece on and i put my fingers around to the front of the house (i was standing on the side of the house) anyway, my fingers pushed thru and broke the window.

i'm thinking i can fix it but it won't be the same. boo hoo. i was really so excited about how cool that window is.

Definitely stained glass. I avoid store bought windows.

I'm still cutting parts for the doors and frames on the Tudor. There's only 4 left, but the frames will be identical to the 1st floor entry-ways, so there's a lot of tiny parts to make first.

I have been planning ahead to fit both the Victorian repairs and as much Tudor construction as I can before April 15th. I would really like to have the library completed, but it would require too much work before then. I'm thinking I may be able to finish the attic and complete the entire exterior in time. I'll just work on the library while I'm at the show. I thought I would have the thing finished in time, but every day RL gets in the way.

Wow, everyone has been busy! I'm no exception. Ever since I was able/had to quit my job earlier this year, I have been really back into minis. It is such great therapy! I don't think I've been happier in a long time!

Right now I have pulled out some of the Greenleaf Town 1/4 scale kits as I was getting tired of making food.

Here are a couple pics of the food, though, since there are no pics of the town, yet. :)

No pics would show up, so i will try adding them to my gallery. :(

...Right now I have pulled out some of the Greenleaf Town 1/4 scale kits ...

I am really curious about the 1/4 inch Town. What thickness is the wood, is it die cut and if so is it well cut so the pieces come out easily? Are the trim pieces also wood and die cut? Does it require a lot of sanding? I've sworn off die cut for laser cut, but might be interested in building the town models if the prep isn't too bad.

Debora,

They are typical die cut (or mine is - it is older) Mine isn't too bad, but of course there is sanding and some wriggling to get a few of the pieces out. The wood seems to be 1/8" (does that sound right to others?) And the trim is card stock.

HTH! I love the size - they are sooo CUTE!

Debora,

They are typical die cut (or mine is - it is older) Mine isn't too bad, but of course there is sanding and some wriggling to get a few of the pieces out. The wood seems to be 1/8" (does that sound right to others?) And the trim is card stock.

HTH! I love the size - they are sooo CUTE!

Thanks for responding. That doesn't sound too bad. So really only the shell components are die cut, since the trim is card stock. Could be easy, could be fun! Hmmmmmm.

: )

Yes, the trim and shingles are cardstock and I forgot to mention, the roofs are heavy (thick) cardboard. If you get them, I'd love to see what you do! I am leaving the backs off, adding a second floor and making them dollhouses. At least, that's the plan...

Yes, the trim and shingles are cardstock and I forgot to mention, the roofs are heavy (thick) cardboard. If you get them, I'd love to see what you do! I am leaving the backs off, adding a second floor and making them dollhouses. At least, that's the plan...

Here's my inspiration photo, which I believe I found on this site, but cannot remember where or who to credit.

post-15386-0-62191100-1350434650_thumb.j

That is wonderful! I didn't think about hinging the backs. And I have so far used the back piece to make the second floor, but I like this idea! Thanks for the picture!

I don't recall seeing it here, but I know that Deb has done some of the 1/4 scale buildings as open houses, too.

ETA - just went to Deb's gallery to see http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/index.php?app=gallery&user=329 and I was mistaken. She did some amazing 1/4 scale buildings, but I don't see any that are open.

ETA - just went to Deb's gallery to see http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/index.php?app=gallery&user=329 and I was mistaken. She did some amazing 1/4 scale buildings, but I don't see any that are open.

OH, YES! Love her stuff, especially conservatory, white orchid, teeny orchid....!!!

I have a new batch of lumber for the Tudor house. I placed an order for thin wood sheets to cover the attic's walls several days ago. Before paying for the sheets, I picked up a large variety of boards for the Tudor's door frames and other parts of the house. While I was gathering the different boards, I ran into the owner, who I have known since he first started the business. He's the guy who talked me into asking Tom Bishop for space at the 2011 CI show last year and bailed out on sponsoring the trip after I got accepted. I don't blame him for changing his mind, his business had slowed to a trickle after I made the call. After talking with him for a few minutes, I went to pay for the items (about $50 worth), but the clerk said the owner told her they were "on the house"! I wonder if he's still trying to make up for the snafu?

The only thing better than lumber supplies are FREE lumber supplies! :p

• Like 3

I have a new batch of lumber for the Tudor house. I placed an order for thin wood sheets to cover the attic's walls several days ago. Before paying for the sheets, I picked up a large variety of boards for the Tudor's door frames and other parts of the house. While I was gathering the different boards, I ran into the owner, who I have known since he first started the business. He's the guy who talked me into asking Tom Bishop for space at the 2011 CI show last year and bailed out on sponsoring the trip after I got accepted. I don't blame him for changing his mind, his business had slowed to a trickle after I made the call. After talking with him for a few minutes, I went to pay for the items (about $50 worth), but the clerk said the owner told her they were "on the house"! I wonder if he's still trying to make up for the snafu?

The only thing better than lumber supplies are FREE lumber supplies! :p

Yay for free supplies!! :)

It isn't the first time he's given me free supplies either! I'm all for supporting local businesses, so I don't mind paying. I have spent thousands of dollars on lumber for the Tudor house already and mini lumber isn't his main business. He builds custom interiors for clubs, restaurants and private homes, so I'm not going to argue over free materials.

Putting in wood floors in the dress shop. Nothing fancy. Using the Houseworks black walnut. Decided not to stain the MDF this time! Also working on the stairs. A real odd set up. Adding spindles and a hand rail to at least the first level set that can visibly be seen. Still haven't tackled any dresses!!

Someone in one of my groups sent this in. I thought you would love looking at

these unique doll houses. Click through and check out the 5 story house with the glass covered attic. It took 8 years and 15,000 hours to build.

http://blogs.babble.com/the-new-home-ec/2012/09/24/itty-bitty-living-space-10-of-the-coolest-dollhouses-you-ever-did-see/?cmp=SMC|bbl|soc|FB|Main|InHouse|100112|Photo||famE|Social||&utm_campaign=babbleeditors&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_content=SMC|bbl|soc|FB|Main|InHouse|100112|Photo||famE|Social||

I've been working on the porch of my half scale rowhouse. I want the front of this house to have lots of pretty trim like the houses in San Francisco, but it's amazing how this stuff adds up... I've spent almost $50 on materials for the porch alone! (And it's not a big porch!)

Here's what I have so far, more pics on my blog. I realized too late that I should have centered the flower trim on the porch roof so there was a flower right in the middle. Once I realized it wasn't centered I couldn't "unsee" it, so I actually pulled it off after taking these pictures. I will redo it (have to go back to the store to buy a new piece) and use the trim on the side bay instead. It'll mean a few more hours of work but it's one of those things that would have bothered me every time I looked at it, if I'd left it that way. (Times like these, I'm incredibly grateful to live five minutes away from a well-stocked dollhouse store!)

post-7-0-24026700-1350860815_thumb.jpg post-7-0-19658900-1350860571_thumb.jpg post-7-0-17807500-1350860666_thumb.jpg

• Like 2