What's everyone working on?

Jeremy, I've been to this one a few times: http://caterpillars81.com/

The last time was several years ago, though, and I don't know if they're still there. You should probably call first.

I have been working on siding and the stone foundation for my Queen Anne Rowhouse, and am now moving onto window painting and decorative trim on the front. A few pics below, and more on my blog: http://www.emilymorg...om/blog/?p=5019

I'm starting to think about the interior and wish I were ready to move onto the inside. I want to decorate already! But I still need to figure out what I'm doing for wallpaper and electricity, and don't want to rush it...

post-7-0-85992200-1349239796_thumb.jpg post-7-0-60300500-1349239750_thumb.jpg post-7-0-03099500-1349239687_thumb.jpg

Tracy,

The last time we were in Houston (2010) we drove all over looking for the dollhouse shops listed on Google, but only found empty strip malls. The only one I have been able to confirm via Google street view is Dollhouses Unlimited. It is a house on a residential street in NW Houston. If it wasn't for the sign in their front yard I would have dismissed it as yet another of many misplaced location markers on Google Maps.

If anyone knows of any other shops, please do send me the addresses. We'll be there from Thursday to New year's day.

Jeremy,

We were there just last summer, 2011. The name is the Vintage Dollhouse. I just looked it up, and it is now called Beabe's Dolls, Toys & Gift.

8658 Highway 6 N,Houston,TX

I couldn't find your email, only your Yahoo IM, so I sent you a message that way (GL messages seem to be down again).

As much as I would like to break up a 950+ mile drive, I would hate to impose, especially the day after a holiday (we're driving over December 26). That and the thought of my kids destroying someone else's minis sends shivers down my spine. You do know they're all under 5 years old, right? :p

With 4 adults in the house, we'll outnumber them, won't we? :lol: There are only two -- Marie Laveau's cottage and the pottery shop -- and they can be hidden away if necessary. I even have a sturdy little dollhouse (an unfinished suitcase house) that they can play with if the urge hits them.

Do consider staying over. After a night's sleep, the drive to Houston will seem like a piece of cake. You're also welcome to spend the night on your way back.

I unknowingly deleted your Yahoo IM message without reading it as I only get spam on it. My email is [deleted]. I tried to send you a message through your website, but the contact feature is turned off. Sometimes the miracles of modern technology are just annoying.

Edited by KathieB

With DH now in rehab center nearer home not spending so much time to-ing and fro-ing I have sort of caught up on house work and assured clinging dogs that we all still alive. I am looking at finishing up the flight of stairs I started last week. I have been sanding in periodic bursts and am nearly ready for the second coat of white paint on it's body. Am waiting for some replacement spindles to replace a couple of broken ones. I have so many UFPs I really do not know what ones I can work on in short spates but I am looking!!!!!!!!

I got my 1 inch scale laser cut Tennyson yesterday!

Had to read the instructions a couple of times, pull the sheets out of the box, marvel at the laser cut edges, and then stare at the pieces for, oh a couple hours (suddenly it was 10pm). I think I want a great room on the first floor, but may put the interior walls in. Moved furniture around on the floor pieces to see which way to do the stairs (or move them?) and whether or not to put in the walls.

One really nice thing about the laser kit is you can start dry fitting "right out of the box" and see how it's going to go together. Can't wait to start working on it this weekend!

On my list of latest accomplishments on the Alexandria: 2 working table lamps and the first stage of front door steps. Parts of the steps included in the kit were mangled beyond repair so I had to cut my own. So far, so good! Will post pics soon.

I still need to do some major light installations....but I keep procrastinating....

Thanks Tracy and Kathie! Now I can hardly wait for the trip to Houston.

I just spent an all-nighter finishing the Tudor's 2nd floor inlay. The plan is to roll the house outside as soon as the weather improves and glosscoat the library inlay and bath tiles.

The plan is to roll the house outside as soon as the weather improves and glosscoat the library inlay and bath tiles.

What product do you use for doing the gloss coat?

What product do you use for doing the gloss coat?

Rust-oleum Gloss Clear and a calm day. A slight breeze will blow dust onto the surface. The trick is to spray several thin layers until there is a thick, glossy coat on the flooring.

I'm making headway with trim on the Queen Anne Rowhouse! More pics: http://www.emilymorg...om/blog/?p=5023

You can't tell from the pictures, but these windows are a real pain. The wood is all chewed up and hard to sand because the windows are so small (half scale) and already assembled. (And the whole point of using Houseworks windows is that you don't have to sand them!) Every single one of the bonnets has a rough patch in exactly the same spot, too. These are a newer style and now I'm wondering if they're all like this or if I just got some out of a bad run.

post-7-0-43104200-1349582981_thumb.jpg post-7-0-39691100-1349582974_thumb.jpg post-7-0-44700600-1349582978_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Completely finished with my third donation house now. Kept going back and touching up, realized I needed to get it off the work station so as not to mess it up with all my little "fixes". lol Thankfully, I think it looks pretty darned good now -- and only hope it not only helps to raise much needed funds, but also makes a little ones' Christmas/holiday season all that much brighter! I did upload a new album if anyone cares to see.

• Like 1

I have pretty much completed the removable basement front to the dress shop, added skirting to the sewing room, made some little packages ( supplies purchased by Margaret) and sitting, staring at the teeny tiny dress patterns wondering how my "paws" will ever be able to do it!!

I'm making headway with trim on the Queen Anne Rowhouse! More pics: http://www.emilymorg...om/blog/?p=5023

You can't tell from the pictures, but these windows are a real pain. The wood is all chewed up and hard to sand because the windows are so small (half scale) and already assembled. (And the whole point of using Houseworks windows is that you don't have to sand them!) Every single one of the bonnets has a rough patch in exactly the same spot, too. These are a newer style and now I'm wondering if they're all like this or if I just got some out of a bad run.

post-7-0-43104200-1349582981_thumb.jpg post-7-0-39691100-1349582974_thumb.jpg post-7-0-44700600-1349582978_thumb.jpg

It's looking really nice! I like the trim cover up. Good idea.

Thanks so much Emily, it's truly appreciated! Funnily enough, my mom just retired -- and incidentally decided to borrow a few of my miniature related books. I happened to "catch" her reading and flipping through, and she says to me -- "You know... you could probably lasso me into working on some of this stuff. Looks like it could be my new fun thing to do with you."

Think we may've hooked another. ;)

Glosscoat on the Tudor's 2nd floor is dry, all but the east wall of the bathroom is grouted and the final wall trim locations for the 2nd floor landing are plotted. Oddly, the grout blended in completely with the tiles. I thought the tiles were much lighter than the grout ( I used the same grout that's in the kitchen) but was apparently wrong. Not sure if its a bad thing or not, but I was hoping for a little contrast.

More photos coming soon.

Not sure, Holly. The glosscoat might work as a seal, keeping the paint from bonding with the tiles, but I don't know.

I have time to figure out something before closing in the room with the final wall and ceiling. I'm going to switch gears in the next couple of days and start working on ceilings and bookcases for a while.

Miniing has been spasematic over the past few weeks so have only been working on things/steps that would not be hurt if they had to wait in mid action. Gave the stairs the second paint and am waiting for it to dry. The replacement spindles arrived so I can complete that repair.

DH had given me the latest Proxxon Pen Sander as a mini birthday gift but had forgotten to include the transformer and I ordered it late last week. Hope it gets here soon since it looks like the sander will be a great help with sanding the wood on the curved stairs.

I ordered some very ancient looking wood stems/trunks that hopefully will be the base of the terrace tree in Elrond's Library. I had tried several different methods to construct one and was not satisfied with any of them. I also took advantage of a Micromark sale and ordered the MicroLux Mini Miter / Cut-Off Saw on sale.

Sigh, I must be having sympathy pains for DH's back surgery since for the past week I have been having back spasms and pain. Lots of pain pills and heat pads.

Holly you seem to be "in the know" as to how things on this forum work, so can you figure out why I'm not getting any email notifications when someone posts to this thread? Every day I get email info from the Craig's List thread but nothing from this one...and I used to get email from this one all the time. Also, does anyone know have they fixed the problem with PM yet?