Minis On The Edge

What's everyone working on?

I did get the ball feet stained that I had bought for the Moroccan room box. I will still need to put a sealer/finish on them after they are dried and attach them. Also trimmed the two plants and put them into their pots. The clay is still setting up then I will cover it with some sort of brown cover.

I am thinking of using some real fine grind of coffee that a friend gave DH but it turned out to be to weak for him. He likes his coffee so strong it will curl your hair.

Hi Guys,

Well I have several questions I’d like to put to those who have had experience with front opening dollhouses. I’m creating a list of all the things I need to do to get this house started and I’m making as many of the accessories as I can. I’m trying to think as far ahead as possible so I can avoid all the “I should have known that would happen” hair pulling moments :pullhair:. Some of the things I need advice for are:

1. Whether to use two or three small hinges or one large “piano” hinge, keeping in mind that the house is NOT normally a front opener, it will have a brick front, and it will have quoins on the front corners.
  2. Would you wallpaper over or under the hinge?
  3. Would you position the “barrel” portion of the hinge inside or outside the house? I’m thinking inside because of the quoins, but what do I know :dunno: .

Any tips you have for making this front without it looking like it was run under a Mack truck or slapped with the bag of bricks would be greatly appreciated. :please:

With the quoins I think instead of hinges I'd use velcro.

With the quoins I think instead of hinges I'd use velcro.

Velcro is bulky, and can be a horror to pull apart if it decides to grab hard. I'd go with a piano hinge to give support the full height, especially if it is to be bricked.

Are you using ceramic or egg carton bricks? Would make a big difference in weight.

Wouldn't the barrell of the hinge need to be on the outside? You could build out the quoins some to accommodate it, no?

Velcro is bulky, and can be a horror to pull apart if it decides to grab hard. I'd go with a piano hinge to give support the full height, especially if it is to be bricked.

Are you using ceramic or egg carton bricks? Would make a big difference in weight.

I'm using a clay brick similar to the ones I used on the firehouse, they do add a bit of weight - plus the mortar.

Wouldn't the barrell of the hinge need to be on the outside? You could build out the quoins some to accommodate it, no?

I don't know Boo-Boo I'm asking you. I have no real cule what's best, cause I think, operative word being "think", I've seen it done both ways. And I saw one done by Christine Errico where one flange was inside the house and the other was outside, at least it looked like it was outside, it might have been on the "edge" of the wall, but the barrel was inside. She was demonstrating how to wire a front opening house using the hinges to conduct the electricity. Her house had the quoins too, but they were already "built in", mine will have to be added separately.

Hi Guys,

Well I have several questions I’d like to put to those who have had experience with front opening dollhouses. I’m creating a list of all the things I need to do to get this house started and I’m making as many of the accessories as I can. I’m trying to think as far ahead as possible so I can avoid all the “I should have known that would happen” hair pulling moments :pullhair:. Some of the things I need advice for are:

1. Whether to use two or three small hinges or one large “piano” hinge, keeping in mind that the house is NOT normally a front opener, it will have a brick front, and it will have quoins on the front corners.
  2. Would you wallpaper over or under the hinge?
  3. Would you position the “barrel” portion of the hinge inside or outside the house? I’m thinking inside because of the quoins, but what do I know :dunno: .

Any tips you have for making this front without it looking like it was run under a Mack truck or slapped with the bag of bricks would be greatly appreciated. :please:

Judith, These are the hinges that came with the Wentworth kit. The panels are heavy, being MDF. The inside hinge location was in a wallpapered room and a painted room. The barrel portion is on the outside.

post-6081-0-68862700-1343299343_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Judith, maybe you could use heavy-duty magnets instead of the hinges?

Unless this house is MDF, I would not use those "barrel hinges". They are necessary for MDF (that's what I use for MDF), but in my opinion, ungainly. I wallpaper under them.They are rather large and bulky to wallpaper over the barrels. Also, the glue has on some occassions affected the hinges and they rust. This is my experience with MDF and the barrel hinges.

I would use three solid brass hinges for each door. I have used piano hinges but had to do some searching to find the size for 3/8 ". Whether this house was originally a front-opening or not, does not affect the type of hinge you use--piano or individual--which look do you like better? If the house is properly built and the hinge(s) is properly installed, the door will open and close.

With regard to the individual hinges-- usually wallpaper over them on the house and door sides. You do not have to put the hinge on the vertical edge of the house on the "inside" edge. That half of the hinge can be put on the outside of the house! If this is confusing--look at my posts for La Malcontenta (RGT Thornhill) that have pictures of the doors. (RGT suggests doing it that way.) You would then brick or paint or stucco over the hinge. As I said, this is what I did for La Mal and I am very happy with this approach and will be using it again.

I can send you some pictures if you want them.

Also, I paint over, in a matching color, the edge of the hinge that "sticks" out on the outside. You don't have to do this if you like the look of the brass. I like it "disguised".

If you have any questions, email me or post here.

Don't panic or dispare, I turn most every dollhouse into a front-opening dollhouse.

B)

• Like 1

Judith, These are the hinges that came with the Wentworth kit. The panels are heavy, being MDF. The inside hinge location was in a wallpapered room and a painted room. The barrel portion is on the outside.

Okay, this is great! Cause I see that there is more than one kind of hinge to use on this. Yours is different than the ones I've seen, it actually wraps around the edge and has a flat section between the house and the front when the front is closed. The only ones I've see were those that look like regular RL door hinges. I can see that this hinge would solve a lot of my novice problems and angst. Thanks so much! :thumbup:

Unless this house is MDF, I would not use those "barrel hinges". They are necessary for MDF (that's what I use for MDF), but in my opinion, ungainly. I wallpaper under them.They are rather large and bulky to wallpaper over the barrels. Also, the glue has on some occassions affected the hinges and they rust. This is my experience with MDF and the barrel hinges.

I would use three solid brass hinges for each door. I have used piano hinges but had to do some searching to find the size for 3/8 ". Whether this house was originally a front-opening or not, does not affect the type of hinge you use--piano or individual--which look do you like better? If the house is properly built and the hinge(s) is properly installed, the door will open and close.

With regard to the individual hinges-- usually wallpaper over them on the house and door sides. You do not have to put the hinge on the vertical edge of the house on the "inside" edge. That half of the hinge can be put on the outside of the house! If this is confusing--look at my posts for La Malcontenta (RGT Thornhill) that have pictures of the doors. (RGT suggests doing it that way.) You would then brick or paint or stucco over the hinge. As I said, this is what I did for La Mal and I am very happy with this approach and will be using it again.

I can send you some pictures if you want them.

Also, I paint over, in a matching color, the edge of the hinge that "sticks" out on the outside. You don't have to do this if you like the look of the brass. I like it "disguised".

If you have any questions, email me or post here.

Don't panic or dispare, I turn most every dollhouse into a front-opening dollhouse.

B)

More great information! That "inside/outside" hinge style was what I saw on Christine's photo. I like the idea of it being disguised as well. I want to conceal it as much as possible. Depending on how the rooms fall in the house I may have to electrify the "opening" wall. I have instructions on how to do that while still hiding the wires and it was advised that the hinges have some type of sealant applied to them after installation (since you have to use them to help with the electricaL connection) so that they don't oxidizethe copper wire. I'm definately going to check out "La Mal's" hinges. Thanks J.

Ya know, as my son would say "...not for nothing" but anybody who isn't on Greenleaf is missing out on a wealth of knowledge and experience. You guys rock! :punk: You always know how to get it done! Thanks again to all of you. I got great advice on how to make this happen. :flowers:

• Like 1

Added a few brown stain highlights to the globe in the library's inlay, sanded all of the 1/16" wood sheets I'm going to use for drywall, and began cutting all the parts to rebuild the last wall that needed to be replaced after last year's accident.

Also drew some sketches of the backyard house idea. I'll probably have to leave out the pool to keep the width within 24 inches.

That's still enough room for a deck with BBQ grill and kids' swingset & sandbox off to one side.

Added a few brown stain highlights to the globe in the library's inlay, sanded all of the 1/16" wood sheets I'm going to use for drywall, and began cutting all the parts to rebuild the last wall that needed to be replaced after last year's accident.

Also drew some sketches of the backyard house idea. I'll probably have to leave out the pool to keep the width within 24 inches.

A house with a pool! Terrific. What size would it need to be to keep it within the 24 inch footprint? Cause I've seen one in my shopping travels that might work.

A house with a pool! Terrific. What size would it need to be to keep it within the 24 inch footprint? Cause I've seen one in my shopping travels that might work.

If the backyard feature was just the house & deck, I would simply build it out the entire 24 inches, but the house will be built on a wooded slope with a real running waterfall and creek. If I had to leave one out, it would probably be the pool. One sketch puts the pool to the side of the house, but the house would be too small for such a grand deck & pool.

I'll try to find time to make a series of sketches, showing the different options and take a poll.

.....real running waterfall and creek.

Running water? Jeremy...you the man :worthy:

• Like 1

Starting to go cross-eyed whilst seatching the web for a suitable silk/faux-silk/taffeta light weight fabric in a narrow black and copper striped pattern... Darn those ideas of some doll-personas I have around here.... The fabric needs to have a shine to it and drape and... And over here, no luck so far, but will keep looking here and there to see if I might be able to find something that will work.

Hugs

I'm almost ready to install the library's inlay floor onto the house, but I need to know the average size of a dh executive style office desk first. I'm thinking they should be between 5 and 6 inches across, but none of the sites I have looked at give the dimensions. Any insight would be appreciated. Otherwise I'll have to try my hand at building one myself, and furnishings aren't my specialty.

...I need to know the average size of a dh executive style office desk...I'll have to try my hand at building one myself, and furnishings aren't my specialty.
Jeremy, see if the library has or can get you a copy of Maurice Harper's Make Your Own Dolls' House Furniture and think about modifying/ simplifying some of his designs. I used mini of his designs to make 1:24 items for the Fairfields, and I promise you there are no opening drawers or other working parts going to 1:24 that you will want to make working in 1:12. With your eye for detail and some lovely wee bits of cherry or waln8t you ought to be able to furnish that house magnificently!

Starting to go cross-eyed whilst seatching the web for a suitable silk/faux-silk/taffeta light weight fabric in a narrow black and copper striped pattern... Darn those ideas of some doll-personas I have around here.... The fabric needs to have a shine to it and drape and... And over here, no luck so far, but will keep looking here and there to see if I might be able to find something that will work.

Hugs

I'm always out there shopping and looking Anna, I'll keep an eye out for you in my travels.

~Wing~

I'm always out there shopping and looking Anna, I'll keep an eye out for you in my travels.

~Wing~

Thank you, appreciate it, still cross eyed! Copper and black is just not it apparently right now, lots pf airy and light combos... <muttering under breath..> ;)

Hugs

I'm almost ready to install the library's inlay floor onto the house, but I need to know the average size of a dh executive style office desk first. I'm thinking they should be between 5 and 6 inches across, but none of the sites I have looked at give the dimensions. Any insight would be appreciated. Otherwise I'll have to try my hand at building one myself, and furnishings aren't my specialty.

Executive style like double pedestal? Or something more elaborate? Remember 1 inch is 1 foot so...a desk that's 6 feet long? How big is your room? I've attached two pics to give you an idea of what 4 feet would look like.

I can "eye out" for that too. Is it obvious that I spend wayyy too much time shopping :D . Can't help myself, but when you combine my two favorite things, mini's and shopping, this is what you get!

This one I think will show you a 4 foot chest between two gables. The wall between the gables is about 5 1/2 inches.

The gallery if giving me fits right now I may have to post the two pics I want in a separate post. Had to copy what I've written and exit and come back just so I wouldn't lose this post altogether - be back with pics.

Thank you, appreciate it, still cross eyed! Copper and black is just not it apparently right now, lots pf airy and light combos... <muttering under breath..> ;)

Hugs

Well, I've been through over 1000 listings and so far no go. This is a closest I've come. I've got a picture in my head of what you're looking for - a clearly defined black and copper stripe, but so far no luck. Lots of other color cominations that a beautiful but no copper. Check this one out, not the amount of copper that I think you want, but it is "shimmery" and might work if you can't find something more defined.

http://www.ebay.com/...=item416850b122

Ok, doing a post edit. Just found this. Now don't think I'm crazy I know the price is outrageous, but that's for the entire piece - which is about 9 yards. The seller might be willing to sell you part of it, like maybe half a yard, and, they're willing to send sample pieces which might just be all you need.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/9-7-mts-ANTIQUE-COPPER-BLACK-CHENILLE-UPHOLSTERY-FABRIC-/120955893584?pt=UK_Crafts_Fabric_Textiles_SM&hash=item1c29887750