What's everyone working on?

I have the Houseworks lighting panel. There are 8 circuits.

1 - First Floor Ceiling/Sconces

2 - First Floor Wall Outlets

3 - Second Floor Ceiling/Sconces

4 - Second Floor Wall Outlets

5 - Third Floor Ceiling

6 - Exterior Lights

7 - Fireplaces

8 - Smoking Chimneys

Running that many circuits through a kit house must be a challenge. I have 18 circuits in the Tudor, but if someone is making electric chimney smokers, I might add another.

I haven't been able to get anything done with the library flooring today. Hopefully I'll have the design drawn in later this evening after I put the kids down for the night.

On the subject of libraries, what are the dimensions of an average book? The kids have ruined all of mine. I'll have to include the yet-to-be built bookcases into the floor design. I was thinking 18" would be about right for a book case shelf depth, but I really don't know. I'm thinking the depth would depend on the size of an average book.

It is! I am doing hard wire an tape wire. I learned the hard way, you must soldler. I tried the "glue" and is not effective. I am in the process of soldering all my connections. Do not use it! Such a mess. but a learning point. Should have known that and easy solution, it not!

Never heard of a glue for wiring. Most glues are susceptible to heat, and electrical current always creates a heat load. I only use duplex wire and always solder the connections.

One additional feature I have added to the Tudor is a removeable roof. It has 2 decks (one for the 2nd floor ceiling and the other is the base of the roof/ 3rd floor rooms) and 3 circuits that plug into the top of the 2nd floor ceiling, which will be permanently attached to the main house. The reasoning was that the house would be too tall to transport and removing the roof would reduce the weight of the house when moving or transporting it.

I like the look of the Garfield, but it looks like 1/3 of the floorplan would have limited access (the center section between the two wings). Of course I have only seen photos, so I don't know if the images are deceiving.

Everyone is really moving right along with their projects! I love the way so many reply with tips and advice. I have learned so much from you all!

While I love reading about it all, I do start to feel lazy when I realize that I am not getting much done on my own projects.

Yesterday I worked on a few little things for the Spring Fling and went through some pics to start an album of little things I have made. Just to make myself feel better! :D And I do!

http://www.greenleaf...isplay=overview

Well, I spent the first half of the day sorting out problems with my GL albums, trying to figure out why I couldn't make another album. Finally figured out that some of the photos in my other albums were too big. Everything has to be KB size if you want to stay under the limit, and I forgot to reduce the size of some of the pics.

Spent the rest of the day staining the bed for Mr. Bronte's bedroom, topping off the washtub for the laundry with fake water, sanding paint off trim pieces for the canopy on the bed (all the dang trim I've got in here and the only piece that was perfect for the bed was painted - go figure) and going through my lumber stash searching for pieces that would make good candidates for the canopy I have to build.

Found everything I need, but still have another morning of hand sanding to get rid of that paint. Took some pictures, need to update my blog, still have to fashion some round legs for the footboard, and have to put a clear coat of varnish on the bed - guess that will all have to wait until tomorrow, cause it's 1:30, my hands are raw from sanding and I'm fair poofed!

Just finished painting 18 victorian windows! And then I decided that I did not like the color, so I had to repaint them. That is a lot of work!

The next time someone just glances at one of my dollhouses and says "that's nice dear", I am going to be cross! Dollhouses take so much time to build, undercoat, wire, wallpaper and finish off! I don't think you can appreciate how much effort it takes until you build one!

• Like 1

Jeremy, Matt and Tracy, these lightng panels sound intriguing :hmm: . What do they look like, and where did you get them? I went to the Houseworks site and didn't see anything in their electrical section :no: . Where can I find one? I'd love to experiment with one for my new house.

Just got finished staining the pieces for the bed canopy, now I'm going to tackle making the two round pieces for the footboard. If I can manage to get that done I'll put the canopy together, varnish the bed and call it a good day.

Jeremy, Matt and Tracy, these lightng panels sound intriguing :hmm: . What do they look like, and where did you get them? I went to the Houseworks site and didn't see anything in their electrical section :no: . Where can I find one? I'd love to experiment with one for my new house.

Check this topic. This is where I first learned about them.

http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=28003

I see them on eBay from time to time. I got lucky a couple months ago and found 2 of them at my local mini store's mini yard sale.

There's actually one on eBay right now. :)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DOLLHOUSE-MINIATURES-HOME-ELECTRIC-CIRCUIT-LIGHTING-CONTROL-PANE-12V-SET-NEW-/140772579560?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20c6b318e8#ht_500wt_1178

Wow, I'm glad you sent a link Tracy, cause I never would have guessed that this is what it looked like. I was imagining something completely different, like a box/panel with switches/toggles. I probably looked right past it on Houseworks. Does it come with instructions printed on the package or is it pretty self-explanatory?

And while I'm here BB where in the world did you find all those houses? 12 complete, 5 rehabs waiting and 17 still in the boxes? What do you do for storage? I go online and I can't find 1 decent house unless I buy from GL or RGT. You have houses that I've never even hard of. If this keeps up I'm seriously going to have to tell my son to "make up the guest room" on a permanent basis cause it looks like all the good stuff is in Atlanta (I know HBS is, and I'm dying to get to Ernie's Attic.)

Wow, I'm glad you sent a link Tracy, cause I never would have guessed that this is what it looked like. I was imagining something completely different, like a box/panel with switches/toggles. I probably looked right past it on Houseworks. Does it come with instructions printed on the package or is it pretty self-explanatory?

And while I'm here BB where in the world did you find all those houses? 12 complete, 5 rehabs waiting and 17 still in the boxes? What do you do for storage? I go online and I can't find 1 decent house unless I buy from GL or RGT. You have houses that I've never even hard of. If this keeps up I'm seriously going to have to tell my son to "make up the guest room" on a permanent basis cause it looks like all the good stuff is in Atlanta (I know HBS is, and I'm dying to get to Ernie's Attic.)

When Matt first posted about it, I was intrigued so started searching. I can't wait until I can start a new house for me to use them! I believe they are discontinued, I tried looking for them on Houseworks' site too. Jeremy doesn't use this, he makes his own, probably looks like what you were imagining.

Oh, my collections of houses and kits. I have a problem with buying houses... :) I also have a "collection-type" mentality. Bad.

I think most have come from CraigsList and eBay, and a few from the Flea Market. Also some from Ernie's Attic, and Miniature Designs when they have Estate Sales or yard sales. A small few have come from HBS or DeJoux or direct from GL, when there has been a sale. I have not paid full price for any kit. If you want to know what a house looks like that you haven't heard of, let me know, I'll be happy to share a picture.

As to where I keep them, oh me. Just wherever really. Under the bed, stacked on a shelf in the garage, spare bedroom, and I think one has creeped into my daughter's bedroom, since she is away at college.

The next time you're down here, do let me know! We'll go shopping at Ernie's and Miniature Designs. Or plan for a mini show weekend in September or March. That would be great fun! (As a side note, did you know that Houseworks is in the same building at HBS? :) You can't shop there either though.)

You're half right, Tracy!

I run a group of wires through the house, but they plug into manufactured mini power strips. I don't remember who made them, but they are kind of a mixed bag. They're easy to install, but the number of plugs make it look kind of cluttered and difficult to organize. If I can find a toggle switch board or make one, I will next time.

http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/index.php?app=gallery&image=57768

Houseworks no longer makes the lighting panels. They were originally made my Illinois Hobbycraft. When they went out of business, Houseworks started to make them. I suspect they weren't good sellers. I had one from a previous build and liked it. So when I started the Garfield, I searched on eBay and found one. Since then I have picked up a couple more for future builds.

They are good quality and work well. The only thing that is a drawback is the small switches for each circuit. The eight switches are the white area next to the fuse! I use a small screw drivers to turn them on and off. There are 3 diodes included that can be attached to dim some of the switches if you feel they are too bright. I might use that on the Garfield for the sconces and chandeliers on each floor.

The instructions are easy to understand (no technical terms) and have simple diagrams that make installation easy. I would recommend them to anyone!

post-129-0-98332400-1339550629_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

(As a side note, did you know that Houseworks is in the same building at HBS? :) You can't shop there either though.)

Shut up! Houseworks and HBS in the same spot? Oh I have got to get to Atlanta!

Houseworks no longer makes the lighting panels. They were originally made my Illinois Hobbycraft. When they went out of business, Houseworks started to make them. I suspect they weren't good sellers. I had one from a previous build and liked it. So when I started the Garfield, I searched on eBay and found one. Since then I have picked up a couple more for future builds.

They are good quality and work well. The only thing that is a drawback is the small switches for each circuit. The eight switches are the white area next to the fuse! I use a small screw drivers to turn them on and off. There are 3 diodes included that can be attached to dim some of the switches if you feel they are too bright. I might use that on the Garfield for the sconces and chandeliers on each floor.

The instructions are easy to understand (no technical terms) and have simple diagrams that make installation easy. I would recommend them to anyone!

Thanks for the photo Matt, I'm on eBay all the time. Now that I know what to look for maybe I'll get lucky.

I had the winning bid for a used bone mill at an auction my employer held today. If I can find a mounting bit for it, I should be able to make my own trim for base and crown molding. They had 3 large, metal work tables available too, but I don't have any room for one.

As for what I've been working on, parquet inlay continues on the Tudor house. Not much to see until its finished.

I am back from my mini vacay to Orlando. Once again, I had no time to go to Ron's. Phooey. I see that I missed a lot while I was gone! I am eager for the happy mini time that happens when the kids go to bed. I have lots of _____________ to do for the ___________. :D

post-47-0-22543400-1339693835_thumb.jpg

Well, after a very weird May in limbo-land, I am back to miniatures and I have posted all the details of the completed dining room and kitchen at La Malcontenta" (RGT Thornhill)

Hope you stop by!

B)

• Like 2

I am back from my mini vacay to Orlando. Once again, I had no time to go to Ron's. Phooey. I see that I missed a lot while I was gone! I am eager for the happy mini time that happens when the kids go to bed. I have lots of _____________ to do for the ___________. :D

I suggest you take a trip up to Lawrenceville Georgia and visit Miniature Designs. I enjoyed that shop more than Ron's.

Valerie

I'm working on my McKinley

1. The stairs

2. The exterior

3. Attic floor

4. Crown and floor molding in hall and bedroom

5. Not going insane trying to find a house with a big kitchen from Barnes and noble online....

6, waiting patently for my eBay orders to come in so I can see where they can stay in for a while till I finish the first floor