What's everyone working on?

Judith,

I'm not a fan of foamcore / foam board unless its for a mock-up. It just isn't sturdy enough for structural purposes.

I always build houses on a rectangular, plywood base with at least two 1" x 2" wood runners underneath for added rigidity and a space to reach under when picking up or moving the house. I think Ron James (rojam18801) builds houses on a pedestal much like a kit house, only scratch-built. He would probably have better advice than I could offer.

Well Jeremy, Holly I was hoping for an answer that would make things easier but I guess not this time. Oh well, that's how it goes, I'm going to nix the idea of the foamcore/board and stick with wood. I'll save the foamboard idea for smaller details, like the fireplaces - I have to build at least 2 of them out from the wall and I think the foam board will do the trick for that. Thanks for your help guys.

~Wing~

April, your Beacon Hill is breathtaking!

Emily, I think you've made a wise choice. I agree with Holly and Kathie that simpler is better. Sounds like your little white couch will be perfect.

I just completed painting the interior of my 30 year old dollhouse which is undergoing a major rehab. It has 16 rooms. I primed first and painted two coats of paint. Today I am painting the outside, changing the color from blue to white and I've done two coats of primer first. The outside will be white with black shutters and I haven't decided whether the front door will be black or white.

Last night I also painted the base beneath the house where the wiring will be hidden a very dark grey that looks perfect with the shingles.

I'm on vacation this week and hope to get started with wiring once the painting is complete

This is major progress for me on this house. Will post photos when I get a little more done.

Renea

I've been working like mad on the Spring Fling, but last night I had some fun playing with modern minis. I've created a new album for the pics in my gallery.

The Newport will soon move to its new happy home, too, which will open up some space for the Heritage and Spring Fling when they are completed this year. :)

Currently, at home, I am working on the Whitney/Primrose bash. I'm shingling, and building the porch railings.

At camp, I am working on the 10Acres Camper - the travel trailer kit.

However, I was sidelined last weekend for a few days. I had surgery last Friday to release a trigger finger. Right ring finger, and of course, I am right-handed. Almost back to normal, thank goodness.

Finally finished the study floor and am super happy with it. Now I'm debating tossing out the living room floor and making another one something like this one for it but I know that would be crazy. Crazy. (If the living room flooring slats don't stop buckling and warping up even after gluing and being weighted down, I will. It's high on my annoyance list now and I swear I'll be the one who wins this fight.)

gallery_14640_5666_40355.jpg

Not bad for being distracted by a new game being released. :D

technical info... done with woodsies, easy cutter, stain pens. Applied to poster board that had graph paper glued to it. The poster board buckled and warped the entire time but now the floor just has a slight bowing in the middle that I'm going to try setting under weights once the varnish has had a few days to really set. Four coats of delta ceramcoat gloss varnish and tons of sanding made it smooth as a baby's butt. :)

Finished the Beacon Hill exterior/build, now on to adding furniture, decorations, and landscaping... I think this calls for a dancing banana: :banana: AHhh, there we go :D

http://www.greenleaf...ery&image=80213 link to gallery pic

WOW, WOW, WOW! April you should have a whole bunch of dancing bananas on this one, the house is fabulous. The detail is amazing and the colors are perfect. Congrats on a terrific job.

Kynne - your floor is beautiful!!

I'm still trying to clear my schedule to make more progress on the Spring Fling - but in the meantime I just had to put this little kit together that was screaming at me from my desk. Shouldn't have left it so close to my computer! It's in the 1:1000 scale (have to recount those zeroes!) and was the "funnest" kit I've done in a long time. Definitely have to do some more!

post-4286-0-10631100-1338400272_thumb.jp

There are 2 more pictures in my Gallery. Very hard to photograph this size!

Judith, I open my gallery in a second browser and pick the photo I want to link. Then, when I'm ready to insert it here, I flip over and click on the black options button then choose the last option (something about link) and then pick the top choice of the four that come up.. bbc code for forums. Paste it here and voila!

edited to add:

What I can't figure out is how to link photos likeCJ's is with the pop up window.

Kynne, how did you get the photo of the floor to show up in your post? I've been trying to figure this out ever since they changed the system - to no avail. Help!

Judith, several things are "hidden" since they changed the format, and how to post pictures is one of them. When you have opened the window to make a post, on the lower right there are two boxes (mine are black and green) - the one on the far right (green) says "More Reply Options" - Click on that and it opens a wider window, like we used to have. Now on the lower left you should see a paper clip, and "Attach Files", and right under that, "Choose Files ... ". Click on the Choose Files, and it will let you select pictures as before. I don't know why that is hidden now - somebody else had to show it to me too.

• Like 1

CJ, thanks for responding so quickly. I did exactly as you said, and - no luck. Every time I try to attach the photo I get the same answer - "upload failed". They really ought to do something to fix this. It's been going on ever since they changed the site and hundreds of people have complained about it. But thanks for trying to help :flowers: .

WOW, WOW, WOW! April you should have a whole bunch of dancing bananas on this one, the house is fabulous. The detail is amazing and the colors are perfect. Congrats on a terrific job.

Oh my goodness, thank you very much, and to everyone else left me such lovely comments too :huglove: .

Kynne, I'll say it again, that floor is beautiful!

Here’s a question for all my scratch builder’s, stuccoers, plaster appliers, and finish adapters. My dilemma is this: I found the house that I wanted to work with for my Bronte project, the Earth and Tree “Madison.” My concern with the house has always been the roof line and how I could modify it (make it lower and without the gable windows or the holes for the windows) without mucking it up. It has a peaked AND squared roof with a widow’s walk on top.

In addition I needed to add a chimney-stack on each end of the roof (an added expense for a house that I already have to save up for.) Well, today I found a solution (of sorts) in another house by E&T called the “Hancock.” The Hancock is IDENTICAL to the Bronte parsonage in all external aspects (roofline, double chimneys, and front façade) except one – it only comes with a pre-milled exterior – clapboard already milled in.

What can I use to “fill in” the clapboard to make the outside smooth? The problem is, whatever I use has to adhere securely without the possibility of it cracking and falling off, and it has to support the weight of a brick finish. Any ideas on how I can accomplish this? It’s also important to note that the Hancock is about $60.00 cheaper than the Madison, and that’s always a plus in Miniville, that money will go a long way towards wallpaper, flooring, and bricks. I tried to post pictures of the three houses so that you can see what I’m talking about, but so far no luck. It seems the best that I can do is link to an album so I’ll try that, hopefully they appear in the right order:

The Bronte House:

The Madison:

The Hancock:

I tried to post pictures of the three houses so that you can see what I’m talking about, but so far no luck. It seems the best that I can do is link to an album so I’ll try that, hopefully they appear in the right order:

Judith, When you are looking at the picture you want, click the black button on the right that says Options. Then Click Share. A box will pop up with different links. I always pick the first one, BBCode. That should do what you need.

gallery_4992_5661_5626.jpg

And you're right, the Hancock looks just like what you need! No ideas how to cover the milled siding though. If you built it inside out, could you cover the inside walls with thin wood or stiff card stock maybe?

Judith, it might be worth it to send Earth and Tree an e-mail to see if they could help you with the modifications you want. When I ordered the Litchfield from them, I asked how they measured for the dormer windows they had in their example. Kari got right back to me to say they'd be happy to cut the holes for me! I know Kabrina was going to use one of their houses for her "Little Women" house and had discussed modifications with them as well. It's worth a shot :)

If the wood is thick enouugh you could sand down the milled in surface flatter and then fill any remaining depressions from the milling with spackle or drywall mud and sand that smooth & flat when it's all thoroughly dry.

Judith, I see they also sell the plans. Do you know anyone who could cut it from regular plywood for you?

Unfortunately Brae, none of the folks in my life have the expertise to even turn on the saw. LOL. As far as "crafty" goes...I'm it :construction:

If the wood is thick enough you could sand down the milled in surface flatter and then fill any remaining depressions from the milling with spackle or drywall mud and sand that smooth & flat when it's all thoroughly dry.

This certainly sounds like an option Holly, and something that I could do without too much stress on these old hands. Are you sure spackle or drywall mud will stick to the raw wood?

Judith, it might be worth it to send Earth and Tree an e-mail to see if they could help you with the modifications you want. When I ordered the Litchfield from them, I asked how they measured for the dormer windows they had in their example. Kari got right back to me to say they'd be happy to cut the holes for me! I know Kabrina was going to use one of their houses for her "Little Women" house and had discussed modifications with them as well. It's worth a shot :)

Sarah, this might just be the answer! Most of their other houses come both ways, milled and smooth, and I did think t was a bit odd that this one only came one way. It would certainly be easier (I think) to produce a smooth finish. Well, it certainly can't hurt to ask, right? Hopefully they won't consider it a "special order" and pump up the price.

Judith, I used spackle directly on the primed walls of both my Glencroft pub and the wood Orchid, and the unprimed foundation of the Magnolia as well as the fireplace wall:

gallery_8_988_73647.jpg

Judith, When you are looking at the picture you want, click the black button on the right that says Options. Then Click Share. A box will pop up with different links. I always pick the first one, BBCode. That should do what you need.

gallery_4992_5661_5626.jpg

And you're right, the Hancock looks just like what you need! No ideas how to cover the milled siding though. If you built it inside out, could you cover the inside walls with thin wood or stiff card stock maybe?

Tracy....you have to understand that the lightbulb doesn't always come on right away for me . I was just about to ask you how do you make an inside out house. Then it hit me - turn the walls around. Well like DAH Judith!

So many great projects and ideas have been posted in the past few days!

I don't have any ideas to add, but I did finish the flooring on one of 4 rooms on the Tudor's 2nd floor. If my ideas for creating the library's floor work out, it will be one of if not the centerpiece of the entire house. I'll know within the next 2 months if it does work. The rest of the wood flooring is routine. The bath may also be a great design if my plans for that work out too. So much of this house has been one "first time" after another regarding techniques and styles that it almost feels like I'm building my first house.

post-587-0-05898400-1338429369_thumb.jpg

Judith, I'm sure they would do it for you. I don't remember what they charged me to cut the dormer holes..$10 is running around in my head. For me it was totally worth it since math is not my strong suit and I was terrified of messing up. Plus my Litchfield is half scale and I would never have been able to make the straight cuts I needed with my dad's big tools. :hide: