What's everyone working on?

Kynne ... this is probably too late to help you with this beautiful floor, but if you color the base paper brown, the little slivers between boards won't show up as much.

Honestly, I knew that but I didn't want to cover the grid marks since I have a hard time making straight lines even with the lines guiding me. :) I figured that in a worst case scenario, I'd drip some brown acrylic paint in between the boards with a toothpick or something.

Actually, worst case scenario happens and I have enough boards to just recreate the thing again and do it better.

Thanks! The closer it gets to being done, the more excited about it I get. I figure I have another day or two of gluing left then sanding and varnishing. I'm vaguely wondering if the direction I move the sandpaper will matter with the various directions of wood but I'll find that out pretty soon. :)

Others have said their love of stain pens and I'll reiterate how awesome they are. Been using them for years and they made this project easy peasy. So did the Easy Cutter. :D Best use of that April Fools coupon I could have come up with.

I'm vaguely wondering if the direction I move the sandpaper will matter with the various directions of wood but I'll find that out pretty soon. :)

It will make a big difference. Sand with the grain for a smooth surface. Cut across the grain and the sandpaper will tear up the surface.

I suspected as much. I figure that I'll have to touch up the stain if (when) I get carried away with the sanding - aka make the surface completely smooth rather than slightly textured from the way the sticks gently curve at the edges- but that's what netflix is for.

The more the flooring gets done, the more I realize that it would be a shame to cover it with the large rug that I had intended to put in that room once it's ever finished. (Seriously, I had no idea that the rug would take so very long to do, it's just punching. It's punching on a tightly woven linen, though, and two hours work is hardly noticeable.)

So I get to cut out new wall templates and am going to switch the living room paper with the study paper. The living room flooring is much less visually interesting so I won't feel bad about eventually covering it up.

Been wanting to replace my mini table saw from Harbor freight and so when the new sale at Micromart showed up in my email yesterday, took the plunge. It will handle the thicker pieces of wood and hopefully more accurately. Did some reorganizing in cupboards and washed windows in prep for major spring cleaning this wekend.

Well...I know I had my shopping wings clipped and I was grounded :sad_angel: , and I know I wasn't supposed to buy another thing until next month, but these doggone mini things just keep throwing themselves under my cursor every time I turn on my computer :pcwhack:. What's a girl to do? I resisted as best as I could, but the mini bug has such a strong hold on me that it was just no use. So. I did it again...I shopped. I picked up the most adorable little red throw pillows for the sofa, a table for the dining room, and a small lot (4 pieces) that contained the overmantle mirror that I needed for Mr. Bronte's study. I wish I could say that I'm finished, but...there's one more piece that's up for sale tonight that would complete the "major" pieces for the study. I've already missed it twice, once because eBay kept malfunctioning and making me sign in over and over :crash: and the second time because I was watching tv and forgot the end time for the sale :tv_happy: . So actually I'm just going back and getting something that I would have purchased 2 weeks ago if it hadn't been for eBay's glitches...yeah , that sounds right...I'll go with that. But I swear...as soon as I get this last piece - shopping is over for me until next month! Honest! (I wonder if they realize that next month ....is next week?)

• Like 1

:hiya: Hey, a question for all those scratch builders and kitbashers out there :construction: . I have to change the footprint for this new house. I need to make it deeper and add some extra walls both outside and inside. Do I use foam core or foam board or are they the same thing? I found these two items online, and I'm not sure which one is best.

http://shop.hobbylobby.com/products/ghostline-foam-core-board-918870/?F_All=Y

http://www.michaels.com/20-x-30-inch-White-Foam-Board/gc0883,default,pd.html?cgid=products-kidsteachers&start=3

I think the foam board is what I need for the inside walls, but I'm waivering on whether it will work for the floors. Would it be best to just extend the floors with a wood product or do you think either of these products will get the job done floorwise? Also, what kind of glue would you use to secure the foam walls to the wood floors?

~Wing~

Well...I know I had my shopping wings clipped and I was grounded :sad_angel: , and I know I wasn't supposed to buy another thing until next month, but these doggone mini things just keep throwing themselves under my cursor every time I turn on my computer :pcwhack:. What's a girl to do? I resisted as best as I could, but the mini bug has such a strong hold on me that it was just no use. So. I did it again...I shopped. I picked up the most adorable little red throw pillows for the sofa, a table for the dining room, and a small lot (4 pieces) that contained the overmantle mirror that I needed for Mr. Bronte's study. I wish I could say that I'm finished, but...there's one more piece that's up for sale tonight that would complete the "major" pieces for the study. I've already missed it twice, once because eBay kept malfunctioning and making me sign in over and over :crash: and the second time because I was watching tv and forgot the end time for the sale :tv_happy: . So actually I'm just going back and getting something that I would have purchased 2 weeks ago if it hadn't been for eBay's glitches...yeah , that sounds right...I'll go with that. But I swear...as soon as I get this last piece - shopping is over for me until next month! Honest! (I wonder if they realize that next month ....is next week?)

They do that. They just slide under your mouse and pull your finger down to make it click "buy." Often you aren't even aware of it. But, as you point out, next month is next week, so if they aren't delivered until then, won't that count? I would think so. Definitely.

They do that. They just slide under your mouse and pull your finger down to make it click "buy." Often you aren't even aware of it. But, as you point out, next month is next week, so if they aren't delivered until then, won't that count? I would think so. Definitely.

I like the way you think Elizabeth! It's weird how that cursor just does it's own thing no matter what I say. It did it again tonight...I got that little item I missed two weeks ago, the piano for the study. Besides, it was only $2.00 (that's why I kept going back trying to get it), it's the best bargain I've had all month. But now I'm really and truly through! Got several deliveries this week (3 dolls, dining room table and chairs, pillows, crown molding) so I will make myself content with them and perhaps do a little mini work over this 4 day weekend. I have a clock I need to stain and put together, and I need to make a washboard for the laundry shed and create a "wet look" wash tub. That should keep me busy ...and OFF eBay! LOL.

Kathie & Judith:

Thanks for the great advice and rant all you want, Kathie. All of your points were well taken.

As much as I would like to expand out to other regions besides Chicago, it would be too risky to spend what little resources I have on advertising by attending a single show in Philadelphia. I'll see about getting a Youtube video online and fixing the website.

The bedroom parquetry is done, 2nd floor landing is progressing and I should have the library's inlay design mapped out by Monday.

:hiya: Hey, a question for all those scratch builders and kitbashers out there :construction: . I have to change the footprint for this new house. I need to make it deeper and add some extra walls both outside and inside. Do I use foam core or foam board or are they the same thing? I found these two items online, and I'm not sure which one is best. http://shop.hobbylobby.com/products/ghostline-foam-core-board-918870/?F_All=Y http://www.michaels.com/20-x-30-inch-White-Foam-Board/gc0883,default,pd.html?cgid=products-kidsteachers&start=3 I think the foam board is what I need for the inside walls, but I'm waivering on whether it will work for the floors. Would it be best to just extend the floors with a wood product or do you think either of these products will get the job done floorwise? Also, what kind of glue would you use to secure the foam walls to the wood floors? ~Wing~

Judith,

I'm not a fan of foamcore / foam board unless its for a mock-up. It just isn't sturdy enough for structural purposes.

I always build houses on a rectangular, plywood base with at least two 1" x 2" wood runners underneath for added rigidity and a space to reach under when picking up or moving the house. I think Ron James (rojam18801) builds houses on a pedestal much like a kit house, only scratch-built. He would probably have better advice than I could offer.

Working on the ____________ for my Creatin' Contest entry. Little bird told me I needed a hall tree for the entry area. So I made one. :) Still thinking about color, so I had to be insanely careful with the glue!!!

45328_373433802713345_393882377_n.jpg

Right now, I just finished up the window box of the Glencroft which I had neglected to fill before. I am also organizing the craft area, trying to stop playing with my new toy (iPad) and making plans for the historical society I am building next. Oh, and making goodies for my etsy shop, too. :-D

• Like 1

I'm about to nose dive into a nursery roombox for a baby shower gift. I'm hoping I can stay motivated enough thoughout the week to "finish" something for next weekend. This will just involve a lot of ignoring my own dollhouse :( but :) because I always handmake gifts and this one will be best one I've given yet! (hopefully...lol)

• Like 1

April, your Beacon Hill is gorgeous! Congrats on the finish.

I spent the afternoon building a Daisy House sideboard kit to go in my Cyprus and Fog roombox. I planned to build a few kits today, but this one took a long time! I stained it with Minwax golden oak and then a Cabot semi-transparent oak brown on top of it to make it a bit darker. I originally envisioned it as a much darker piece but didn't want it to blend in too much with the brownish wallpaper in the nook where it's going to sit.

I'm planning to turn it into a bar area - liquor bottles, glassets, cocktail shaker, etc. Like the spread you'd see on someone's sideboard in Mad Men. I guess I could add skinny pieces of wood to the sides to make it Mission style but am not sure it needs it. (Especially since there's other Mission furniture in the roombox that it wouldn't really match...)

I'm still undecided about whether to use this sofa or find something more consistent with the Mission style. (I built that many years ago from a kit and never found a use for it...) If I do use it, I'm trying to decide what color to paint it. I've been thinking of glossy black but am wondering if it should be lighter since the whole room is so dark. I'm working on a cross-stitch carpet for this room and will do matching pillows (red/maroon color scheme on those). If I paint the sofa black, I could make a tan or off-white cushion so it's not all dark. Any suggestions?

post-7-0-20636600-1338163495_thumb.jpg post-7-0-42972900-1338163499_thumb.jpg

I think I'd build a Mission-style sofa; I'm with Kathie, the one in the picture is a bit fussy for the rest of the furniture. I LOVE the drawer-pulls on your sideboard!

Yeah, I think I'm coming to that conclusion. There's a reason it's been sitting in there, unpainted, for three months!

I would like to find nice a "prairie style" sofa with paneling on the back, so I can have it where the chess set currently is and still have it be visually interesting. (Do those sofas have panels on the back? I've actually never seen one from behind...) Like this kit, but unfortunately her 1:12 kits have been discontinued. :(

I might have instructions for one somewhere. If not I'm sure I could figure out how to make one.

Holly, those drawer pulls are from Miniatures.com. I think they make the piece!

The Best of the Scale Cabinetmaker: volume 5 I got from Earth & Tree is Arts & Crafts furniture projects, including that sofa. If Dorsett site is now up & running you might check into it.

Oh ha - I have that guide! I pulled it out ages ago for this very purpose and then promptly forgot about it. :lol:

Anyway I think I have come up with another solution - I have a simple off-white couch that I think goes nicely enough, and it fits perfetly inside the nook which will give me some more freedom with the furniture arranging. I'm going to build a couple more kits this afternoon and then will take pictures to show you guys what I came up with...