What's everyone working on?

The first batch of sealing is done and I'm really grumbling to see that several of the boards took that opportunity to warp when they were perfectly fine before. Very annoying. Now I have to either fix it or else dry fit the house and decide to ignore it if it's not too bad. (Leaning toward ignoring it and/or calling it a feature. Tsk tsk.) Going to lay them out, bowed side up, and run the humidifier on high for a while... see how that goes.

Great room Judith! As a musician I'm partial to little musical instruments.

I'm soldering the last of the 1st floor wiring to the wire bundle that runs to the mini power strips. If everything works properly, all of the basement and 1st floor lights should work by this evening.

Also, my almost 4 year old daughter has decided that she definitely doesn't want a dollhouse- she wants a doll's castle. As much as I wanted to build another house, I'll have to get started on her castle first.

I'm losing any patience I may have had for lighting a house. Tape wiring worked- for less than two years. Round wire works- sometimes and only for a while.

I finished the last of the living room wiring repairs, only now instead of getting sparks, I have at least 2 dead wall sconce outlets. With only 3 instead of 5 wall sconce lights, the room won't appear evenly lit. The center wall connection was the first one I fixed and it worked perfectly when I installed it, so I don't know what the deal is. This is turning into the nightmare I had with the rehab I worked on a couple of years ago. The best I can fiqure, heat builds up in the wire and eventually pops the solder that was supposed to hold it together.

Jeremy, how about trying the shrink tubing? I can't get worked up enough over having lights in a dh enough to spend the $$$ on supplies, but eventually I will want to play with making lamps and light fixtures, for the heckuvit, and I intend to use round wire if I install them.

Judith your music room is beautiful.

Jeremy - oh I do so sympathise with anyone fighting the lighting - been there myself and its no fun at all.

I've spent the day scattering scatter material everywhere. The russian lodge is well and truly mossy now. One more day to finish the landscaping - be glad when its done - fed up of hoovering now.

Thanks, everyone for the lovely comments about the music room at Sunnybrook Farm.

Holly asked

wherever did you get those gorgeous crown moldings?

I bought them from HBS and they are resin #9769, Fleur-De-Lis Moulding. The bottom piece is just one of HBS' "window and door casings."

I also find electricity in dollhouses problematic -- Lovely when it works, but a challenge!

B)

No, Holly, nobody is a seedbead retailer in my family. In fact, I am a beadworker for almost twenty years so I built a whole stock (wood beafs, seed beads in different sizes, ...) years after years.

The wood is popsicle sticks and matches. I use a light oak verneer.

Someone in your family a seedbead retailer? The chair is lovely, what kind of wood did you use?

Everyone is working so diligently, and with such awesome results I might add! Kudos to all of you!

I worked on a bit of the interior trims in those blasted dormers of the 1/2 scale Chantilly today. If I retain any semblance of sanity before this project is finished, it will be a miracle...grrrrrrrr (Of course, this is assuming I was actually sane before I started this project...)

Apparently, I planned rather poorly (again!), and nothing matches up..nothing works..and I have decided to just cover, cover, cover, and throw caution to the wind. If it gets 'covered', I will consider it a small victory at this point. (sigh) Tell me again why I love this hobby so much??!! LOL

Judith, I love that music room and the crown molding looks Fabulous!

Kathie, I love your plans with the Beacon Hill!

Chris, I think I'm gonna wait and see what Greenleaf does this year for the spring fling before I start my next house project.

:)

Everyone is working so diligently, and with such awesome results I might add! Kudos to all of you!

I worked on a bit of the interior trims in those blasted dormers of the 1/2 scale Chantilly today. If I retain any semblance of sanity before this project is finished, it will be a miracle...grrrrrrrr (Of course, this is assuming I was actually sane before I started this project...)

Apparently, I planned rather poorly (again!), and nothing matches up..nothing works..and I have decided to just cover, cover, cover, and throw caution to the wind. If it gets 'covered', I will consider it a small victory at this point. (sigh) Tell me again why I love this hobby so much??!! LOL

Because it's so relaxing... :hide:

• Like 2

I'll probably remove the failed panels again tomorrow and try again with them. The soldering work was as clean as I can get it, so I don't know why it failed again.

Tonight I'm sketching plans for my daughter's "doll castle." She won't call it anything else. I'm thinking about building Cinderella's castle (on the exterior only) with my own ideas on the interior. I'm thinking of turning the castle restaurant (the back of the castle with the gigantic windows) into the ballroom. As long as nobody tries to sell it, Disney won't have a case against me.

I would have loved a castle dollhouse and I'm sure that your daughter will cherish it for years to come.

As for myself, I'm in the "stare at it" stage again. I need to make templates of the floors and walls. I need to punch out and prep more pieces because I discovered that I can't do a full dry fit which is very annoying. I need to figure out where I am going to put the tape wire and that's honestly the part that has me the most nervous since that's the part of the building that I've never done before. Time to do more sanding and sealing and research. Hopefully I won't get tooooo distracted by all the eyecandy I keep running across in my research. The internet wasn't an option the last time I really built a house and now there is just. so. much. to look at. :)

I wish I could say I was accomplishing something but unfortunately my back is a pain in the rear and hands are really achy so only the basic RL stuff is getting done. If it were only me then stuff would sit and my minis would get done but DH is having problems again and so I must do more RL stuff and then get him to the DRs.

This afternoon I finally did a little more painting on the Newberg. About time, I haven't worked on it in weeks, and niece's birthday is the end of the month. Today I painted the cardboard fish scale shingles on some of the dormers. I have one left. I'm not entirely happy with it, but it'll have to do. The cardboard shows up every little flaw in painting, and any unevenness in the paint. A second coat seems to be helping, and also painting each shingle individually makes for a neater finish. It just takes a while.

I guess this weekend I need to get wall partitions and porch pieces cut. Then I can finish the outside and start the inside.

And I just now had a horrible realization... It has no porch, so I have to build it completely from scratch. I have porch posts, and I plan to do just a simple roof with probably just a single piece of wood. But, that roof is going to need shingles, and the rest of the house is already shingled. Oh me. Any thoughts or suggestions on this would be appreciated. I'm really not wanting to reshingle the entire house (although it could use it).

I've been sketching ideas for the dollhouse castle, but so far I'm hitting the problems I had suspected would turn up. I would like it to be tall and lean, (as opposed to short and wide) but the trade off is fewer or smaller rooms. Forced perspective works on the real castle in Orlando, but won't fool anybody trying to decorate the interior.

Just posted a concept sketch of the dollhouse castle in my MacKenzie House etc. album. Not sure if the sketch makes any sense to anyone else, but this is one idea I have. The garden will be open on the far end. The room above it will only be on the open (back) side of the house. I'll draw up a sketch of the exterior soon.

Hi Guys! :wave: Well for what it's worth, I'M BACK!!!!! After a 2 month absence I, like McArthur, have returned! and you could have knocked me over with a feather when I saw the place :ohmy: . When I'm not on the site each day, I rely on email notifications of posts to the forum to keep me in the loop :mail:. W ell lately things have been very quiet, or so I thought. I've only been getting occasional "status updates" so I thought nothing much was going on. Well it finally dawned on me that updates and forum posts are not the same thing, so over I came to see what's happening, and WOW the whole place has changed and I've got a lot of catching up to do cause I've missed about 17 pages worth of posts! AY CARUMBA!

On this side of the fence, I've been doing a whole lot of nothing. Just laying in supplies and trying to find a cabinet that I can use for my crafts so I can maximize my space and get rid of some of these rolling carts. I've been promsing my Godson :bear: that I would build him a garage for his little cars :construction: , and now he's begun "reminding" me :secret: , so I guess I'll have to get on the case here pretty soon.

You've all been so busy, I'm going to have to go through all the pages carefully so I can make sure I don't miss anything, and I have to go and figure out WHY I'm not getting proper notice when others post. TTYL

~Wing~

• Like 1

I've given myself permission to goof off today and that means Minis! Yay me! I figured out the exterior color scheme for the mansion, it will be a combination of wood and siding in red chestnut and a muted shade of teal. While I'm waiting for the stain to dry, I am deliberating over the trim colors. I think I can have at least two without it looking too busy. I'm also trying to come up with some kind of door for the front.

Oooh, I love teal and red. Yellow, or a golden color would be pretty for trim.

I was thinking along those lines, or even an orangey bronze. Now I'm thinking about stained glass... I'm so easily sidetracked. :lol:

So, the shabby chic lighthouse has been speaking a lot latley so I've been doing little things here and there latley, flowerpot arrangement, waffling over whether a bird cage will fit in the top room, still not sure how to make the curtains, so that will take a little longer, crocheted a shawl for the top room,and now (finally) she has decided how I should finish the exterior part of the top floor flooring, yay! On the other hand, that means some more fiddling with the easy cutter...

Hugs