What's everyone working on?

Sooo... I got to do something I haven't before. I got to go to an estate sale of a miniaturist that was full of incredible miniatures! I managed to leave the sale after two days with not one but two new builds as well as a new kit! Oh, and bunches of minis and components to build with! To say the least I am a happy happy person here! I scored an American Craft Products 1:24 Queen Anne Row House, as well as one of their 1800's General Store kits in 1:12 scale. Last but not least the friend I went to the sale with bought a corner store. She wanted all that was in it, but didn't want the store -- so I now have that as well! If I'm correct this would have been made originally by a store in NJ, called The Toy Attic. I think it was the forerunner of what is now known as The Street of Shops by Houseworks.

All told, I'm now in the midst of trying to organize all of my new goodies I got. Some I'll resell b/c while I'd love to keep all of it -- I just don't have the room. Truly was a great time in getting to see an incredible collection, as well as the delight of getting to network with other miniaturists that were there. I've enjoyed getting to keep up with you all and what you've been up to -- just the simple matter I've had to catch up on sleep, b/c I was lacking it terribly! lol

• Like 2

Falling asleep last night, I got to wondering how many new/old kits I have. Been on a buying binge lately, because I've found some at incredible prices that I thought it would be foolish to pass up. NOT including houses in various stages of finishing and NOT including the Bayberry rehab waiting in the garage....wait for it....TWENTY ONE. Gah!! How did this happen? Planning to sell the Linfield for sure, but I may need to rethink my building plans.

Linda, you're still good -- I'm at somewhere around 60'ish now... Really should re-count and go through what I've donated and given away. But fairly certain I'm right around the 60 mark. lol Bright side, the 3 new ones I got all of them for $55, not including the fact that two of those came either stuffed full of artisan minis or still wrapped up and shoved in another box with artisan minis. Only issue being, my sleep schedule is completely off kilter now from where it should be...

• Like 1

Kelli, that's good to know! I suddenly felt like a hoarder. Really, a few years ago I never found anything at a decent price, and lately, they're just falling into my lap. I think it was the Cambridge kit I found at an estate sale for $12. Most kits have been bought online for less than $30, so how could I say no? Haven't seen any houses for rehab in a year or so, which is OK, because at least the kits are easy to store.

• Like 1

John is dressed (I may change his name once he's in Brimble's) except for shoes; I finally found some thin brown leather I think I'll have enough of; the thicker piece I had just was not going to shave down for me without risking body parts, to which I'm too attached to risk.  Meanwhile I gathered fabrics from my stash to dress Lionel and Portia, who will eventually live in the Tuscan villa at the turn of the last century.

• Like 1

I'm experimenting with paperclay and a springerle rolling pin to make cookies that will cover the outside of my Hansel & Gretel witch house.

large.8A323BED-75B2-4D31-AFD6-5CB27C8234large.9A161875-AFE6-4717-B9D0-5059089327They are very thin, and I cheated and partially dried 2 batches in a low oven; they started to warp, but fortunately I found I could press the almost-dried cookies, design-side-down, under a fairly light weight of paperback books and they straightened out pretty well.

They look pretty in the color of the paperclay, like authentic springerle, but I think they're going to be dark chocolate color for the house. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, havanaholly said:

What about leaving them the color they are and do chocolate and peppermint accents?

Holly, I like that idea a lot. I think springerle are German cookies, and it's an old German fairy tale, so it would be fitting to have them look like the way they would have been baked in the Grimms' day. And I think that color scheme would be really pretty on the Buttercup - white cookie walls, chocolate trim and maybe also on the roof, and touches of candy red. I was thinking of candy cane-colored pillars and also some of those little red cinnamon hearts to decorate the windows and trim. I'm very excited - I have the whole weekend off with no other plans, and I'm about ready to start on the exterior. Wish me luck! :)

• Like 3

Karin, I'm not home but I think I measured that they're about 1 1/4" by 1 3/4. There's room for quite a few on the walls, but they won't fill the space perfectly, so I need to decide how to arrange them - they give a very different effect depending on if they're right next to each other or there's space in between. I'm thinking I'll fill in the extra space with plain paperclay. 

• Like 1

For a tiny house, the half scale RGT Bungalow has a lot of pieces!   So far having fun going through the pieces in the box. lol  that's about as far as I have gotten today.  

UPDATE!   Enough messing around!  The air and myself are covered with lovely sawdust and parts being labeled.   Love this kind of fun!  :)

• Like 2

I went to a wood specialty store and picked up a sheet of peel and stick mahogany veneer for the exterior of the Bar roombox. The owner was so helpful. He said to use a shellac as a sanding primer on the MDF box. Then install the veneer from the bottom, then sides then top. It should cut easily with an Xacto knife. 

• Like 3

Came home to an en envelope from a friend contact a couple of pieces of  fabrics that Will work Purr-fect for Mr Crow's tuxedo, Yay, the weekends mini-ing is saved, Now I only need to fiddle with the pattern sizes as the one I made up is to big so far. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, abloom said:

...I think springerle are German cookies, and it's an old German fairy tale...

My thinking, plus it'd be a lot likelier to attract Hansel & Gretel.  Roxy, I have to wait for my #2 son to visit to get pictures.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

My thinking, plus it'd be a lot likelier to attract Hansel & Gretel.  Roxy, I have to wait for my #2 son to visit to get pictures.

I believe you can take pictures from your new Chromebook. Not sure though.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, abloom said:

Karin, I'm not home but I think I measured that they're about 1 1/4" by 1 3/4. There's room for quite a few on the walls, but they won't fill the space perfectly, so I need to decide how to arrange them - they give a very different effect depending on if they're right next to each other or there's space in between. I'm thinking I'll fill in the extra space with plain paperclay. 

This is such a cool idea and look forward to seeing your house .I have to say I like them side by side then use the leftover space at all the corners for some kind of fancy trim . 

Just spent two days cutting out all of the wall templates for the yellow house. I'm tired, but glad to finally have all of them cut.  Still have to do a few small things to the interior before I can install anything, and still need to actually get paper and paint onto the templates, but woo hoo for me!! 

• Like 1

On 4/12/2018, 4:47:39, NellBell said:

I have to say I like them side by side then use the leftover space at all the corners for some kind of fancy trim . 

I like them together, too. Your idea of some kind of trim at the corners is intriguing. I'm going to try a few things tomorrow and hopefully post some pictures. Thanks for the suggestion!

I must say, applying wood veneer to a roombox was not fun. The application and staining part is done. Tomorrow I have to get tack cloths  before applying a poly, wait 24 hours, sand, wipe with a tack cloth, poly a second coat, wait another 24 hours then smooth out the finish with the reverse side of a piece of sandpaper. Thank you YouTube.