What's everyone working on?

16 hours ago, pgwyn said:

I have spent the last few days working on an HOM upholstered chair.  I wanted to make it a leather chair and I found some very thin leather in the remnant bin.  Got all the pieces upholstered and it is a big mess.  Apparently, the material really needs to be very thin to work, so no leather.  Was so discouraged I just put it all back in the box with a rubber band on it and hid it from my sight.  I'm going to pretend it never existed for the moment.  I don't even want to try and fix it now, maybe some other time.  I have a huge respect for anyone that can do upholstery work.

Patti I took some classes working with leather, you need that really thin glove leather. You can find vintage long leather gloves on eBay. If I'm in an antique shop I look for the gloves :)Its nice to have a stash of thin glove leather for books, suitcases, purses or furniture. Better luck next time! 

Edit: just reread your post, if you really don't think any leather will work, try a satiny fabric and paint it brown after its put together. I tried that once on a wine colored satiny fabric chair that I didn't like...after painting with just brown acrylic paint it really looked like leather :) 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WyckedWood said:

Patti I took some classes working with leather, you need that really thin glove leather. You can find vintage long leather gloves on eBay. If I'm in an antique shop I look for the gloves :)Its nice to have a stash of thin glove leather for books, suitcases, purses or furniture. Better luck next time! 

Edit: just reread your post, if you really don't think any leather will work, try a satiny fabric and paint it brown after its put together. I tried that once on a wine colored satiny fabric chair that I didn't like...after painting with just brown acrylic paint it really looked like leather :) 

Thanks Karin.  I really wish classes were available in my area, I think that would be a great help.  I like your idea of painting it to look like leather.  When I am ready to dig it out again I think I will try that.

• Like 1

On Thursday, October 19, 2017 9:20:54, Wollepluis said:

Today and yesterday I spend a few hours 'weathering' a few items: the wooden crates, a little feeding scoop and the broom. I've also painted this tin bucket to look a bit more like an old enamel bucket. And... I made a little boxwood tree! I had so much fun making that one! <3 

BC-4414K.jpg

I really like that bucket! And the broom! Is that a quick release knot on that rope? It's been so long since I made one, I can't remember what they look like anymore.

• Like 1

I made a little scene inside a craft pumpkin tonight.

And then I got aggravated and took it apart. :(

Maybe tomorrow I'll have a little more patience and can get it fixed. The problem is it's too dark inside, and when I put little battery operated lights inside, the wires are too messy. And you still can't see the skeleton guy.

Sadness.

Sparkle, I think we have all had and/or are destined to have moments like that -- but I am of the firm belief, that you will inevitably come to an incredible outcome for the problem you are currently faced with. Every project is a learning experience... or at least that's how it seems to me and my projects. lol

As for what I've been up to mini-wise, not so much as I'd like but I have at least gotten out to the shop the last couple of days. I was able to remove some horribly applied shingles on a rehab, had started doing that some time ago but with all the issues with my family hadn't touched the house in a good while. These shingles were applied with a glue I honestly wouldn't wish on my worst enemy to have to deal with. I believe they were applied with hide glue, and to give you an idea of how good this stuff was I was using a heat gun to warm it up and then a thin metal paint scraper to get between the shingles and roof to pry them off. However, even though the shingles were getting dark(yes I had the heat gun the requisite 6 inches away) and the glue was smoking -- it still wasn't releasing. Anyways, took a long time with the heat gun and brute strength behind the scraper to get the shingles off. Now I've been working with vinegar to get the remaining glue gunk off of the house. Only plus here is that I had bought a gallon to age the shingles I plan on applying on the exterior to make it look like a true New England exterior... seems though that I'll be using it initially just on getting the hide glue off the roof.

Other mini-related work done is that I found time to complete another floor in a different house I have inside, and am hoping that after some trimming up on siding, and making some simple repairs I may have windows and doors installed on that tonight... though we shall see.

Kelli I feel your pain. Nothing I used worked in getting off glue residue on my Chateau where the Quine were. I tried vinegar, Goo Gone (Holly I too generally swear by that), Greased Lightning, denatured alcohol, nail polish remover.

I finally decided that my power palm sander was my only remaining option. Even then I spent lots of time going over and over it with the sander. 

• Like 1

Thanks, Holly that couch looks amazing.  Not feeling confident In my skills that I could pull that off after wrecking the other chair, but one day maybe.  I think I'll try a fabric one first but still not ready to tackle it yet.   I have to get my patience back.  

20 hours ago, havanaholly said:

1 hour ago, pgwyn said:

Thanks, Holly that couch looks amazing.  Not feeling confident In my skills that I could pull that off after wrecking the other chair, but one day maybe.  I think I'll try a fabric one first but still not ready to tackle it yet.   I have to get my patience back. 

Here's a link to MLI Designs album with above mentioned couch in it. She has a wonderful gallery full of lovely albums.

On 10/21/2017, 4:38:50, rodentraiser said:

I really like that bucket! And the broom! Is that a quick release knot on that rope? It's been so long since I made one, I can't remember what they look like anymore.

Thank you! Haha, it's a meant to be a quick-release knot. ;) I'm too impatient to do a proper one for my mini-ponies. :p:P

Giving my work room a good deep cleaning/ reorganizing before winter sets in. The room isn't heated so I have to use a space heater but the one I have really doesn't heat it enough...any recommends for a really good space heater? I usually have to move my winter projects upstairs but I'd really like to keep it all downstairs this year. 

Karen this thing just basically sits on the floor. It draws less power, heats the room then keeps it heated for you with minimal expense. Much safer than one of those portable heaters, too.

https://www.amazon.com/Fahrenheat-FBE15002-Electric-Baseboard-1000-watt/dp/B0000AXF0P/ref=sr_1_2?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1508693006&sr=1-2&keywords=plug+in+electric+baseboard+heater

There are lots of reviews and answered questions, so it might be a good place to begin researching.

On 10/20/2017, 11:53:27, sparklepuppies said:

I made a little scene inside a craft pumpkin tonight.

And then I got aggravated and took it apart. :(

Maybe tomorrow I'll have a little more patience and can get it fixed. The problem is it's too dark inside, and when I put little battery operated lights inside, the wires are too messy. And you still can't see the skeleton guy.

Sadness.

I did a scene in a craft pumpkin and used 3 of those battery operated tea lights glued to the inside top of the pumpkin and one behind a grave stone, I sprayed the bases orange for the top and grey for behind the pumpkin so they wouldn’t be so noticeable.  You do have to turn them on one at a time which is not so convenient.

I am just starting the tiling on the ground floor in my Sugarplum then I can add the stairs.. I have made a back wall for the lower half of  it and am hoping that the area under the stairs will make storage/shelving place .The top floor is wood strips and is finished. The fireplace is ready to go in so it is coming along slowly but steadily.

• Like 1

I was excited to get the battery operated lighting items from Evens today for my fairy house, it doesn’t look like it will be difficult to wire a couple hurricane lanps, I also got two fire kits, not sure if I will use both or not, but I may.  Been doing a lot of sanding the last week, and probably for the next couple of weeks, rock maple is not an easy sand!  I wish I could find a smaller sander, guess the dremel will have to do where the palm sander is too big.

• Like 2