What's everyone working on?

1 hour ago, Samusa said:

Oh dear, I feel you might be heading to where I was a couple of weeks ago.. 

One of the only great things about livings somewhere with virtually no seasons.. is SAD isn't an issue.. I like your fix for it though Jodi! Amazing how a little mini shopping picks you up! :) 

If you have the room, the more projects the merrier I say. Just give those other kits a pep talk and tell them their time will come. :D

Those papers look so pretty.. just the thing to give you some motivation. And, I don't know what you are talking about with needing a win.. girl, everthing you make is a win. You do fabulous work! I'm always in awe... do not doubt yourself!  Here's some more hugs. :D

(((hugs)))  

(((hugs)))

(((hugs)))

(((hugs)))

Thank you my friend! :) If we live closer to each other, we could get into all kinds of mini trouble together! You've brightened my day and put a smile on my face! :cheer:

2 hours ago, Samusa said:

Karin, are you anywhere near Park City? We go there every year for a ski trip. :skiing:

Cute emoji lol, yes we're just over the hill from PC :) That's cool that you get that opportunity every year, Utah has so much beauty, and such diverse beauty. 

5 hours ago, WyckedWood said:

Cute emoji lol, yes we're just over the hill from PC :) That's cool that you get that opportunity every year, Utah has so much beauty, and such diverse beauty. 

Yes, we love it there Karin.. so much so, we hope to retire there one day. :)  I'm a big fan of high desert terrain. But I do love the canyons as well.. so majestic. Paticularly the Cottonwood canyons. :) We often scoot over to Alta or Solitude for the day. Just to change it up a bit. 

This morning I went to the Atlanta Miniature Show. That's always so much fun.  There's a lady that makes the most amazing cakes and gingerbread houses. I bought a few things from her last year, and some more today. It was so hard to choose! But I did get a gingerbread house display, a tree, and a gingerbread spoon. I made a gingerbread house from a Buttercup years ago, but never filled it. I'm hoping these new goodies will motivate me. And to I help more, I bought a resin Santa and Mrs. Claus. I also found the cutest wallpaper, red stripes with candy canes hearts as a border. So Gingerbread Buttercup may get some new paper. :)

I also visited Cindy Crane, and got a couple cute kits and papers for decoupage.

And lastly, I got some nice wood trims, and dug through a box of vintage papers, and got a few neat things.

WP_20170923_13_55_21_Pro (3).jpg

• Like 1

As I work my way through the mountain of packing boxes, I'm finding several that are labeled Beacon Hill something: accessories, architectural elements, furnishings, etc. Plus wood sheets taped together, also marked Beacon Hill. I swear this house has been generating extra parts just to annoy me! :D Can't wait to get the craft room organized enough to clear a work surface and get back to it.

• Like 1

I recently bought an ikea shelving/cubby hole unit thingy that has helped so much in organizing my craft room. Have fun Kathie :) 

I pulled out all of the doll kits I've been collecting lately...it's really surprising how much difference there is in size when these are all 1/12 adult females. I don't think I could even use them in the same house, there is such wild size difference. Kind of disappointing but live and learn. Anyway, started making up a Mrs Claus that I had promised to my Mom. It's a resin kit that I'm zero percent thrilled with. Will only be buying porcelain from now on. The resin is extremely challenging to paint. 

Thanks Holly, the kit gives instructions for cleaning and then instructions for painting in acrylic washes to achieve flesh tone. The problem I'm having is this is an older woman sculpt and the washes of acrylic are settling into her wrinkles and looking like pancake makeup even with a thin wash of color. What I would like to do is start over but I'm not sure how to remove what I've done. 

Thin the acrylic paint, real old women's wrinkles show up because of shadows (as I see every time I look in a mirror), and the bit of pigment settling in the cracks shows that.  I like to make my dolls from polymer clay because I can mold the skin pigment into the clay whilst I sculpt it.

I got a yen to do a front opening dollhouse to display some of my stash of furnishings. I saw Sid Cooke's Highgate doll house and fell in love, grit my teeth and checked to see what shipping was to the US. Shipping was over $300!. I decided that maybe I should get out my drawing board and start on my own version of a similar town house. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, grazhina said:

I got a yen to do a front opening dollhouse to display some of my stash of furnishings. I saw Sid Cooke's Highgate doll house and fell in love, grit my teeth and checked to see what shipping was to the US. Shipping was over $300!. I decided that maybe I should get out my drawing board and start on my own version of a similar town house. 

Considering what an awesome scratch builder you are, I agree.

Grazhina I wish I had those kinds of skills, sounds like a neat project. 

Thanks for trying to help me Holly, my attempts today have gone better although I've gone through an entire package of single use fingernail polish remover wipes. I went back with a lighter touch, that's usually my problem with anything, I get too heavy handed. I switched to chalk pastels for skin tone and that was much better. One of my other problems is I take pictures with my phone and zoom in more than the human eye would ever see and obsess over tiny little imperfections and redo and redo...the wrinkles in her skin are catching everything...lashes, shadow etc...nothing is going on smoothly and gliding like it did for me on porcelain (Gertie, who also had wrinkles didn't give me this much trouble). I think I have her paint finished tho, pretty happy with it. 

• Like 1

Well then.  Once I get resettled I'll have plenty to do.  I just pulled out my treasure stash.   14  kits unopened waiting for me.  Gonna have to find a huge house in Mississippi.   Lol.  2 unfinished kits. (One is a "bash" of 2 Tennyson houses that just stopped talking to me ).   AND. I have enough "body parts" to build a really big house.   Think Winchester mansion........ hum???

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Jeannine said:

...Sugarplum house for my woodcutter, the wood is much thinner than the Fairfield...

How strange!  My Fairfields' wood was the same thickness as all the other Greenleaf kits I've built.

I spent the afternoon working on the plan for a Victorian style townhouse. Most of the time was trying to figure out what size the bay window should be. Spent a lot of time looking at dollhouse bay windows online, thinking it would be way easier to buy one than make it, but of course, none of them were quite right. Except for cutting little block houses, I've never had to do angled cuts on my band saw and I'm agonizing that I'll be cutting a lot of plywood into useless pieces because I can't get the angles just right.

When you draw a 1"scale house plan on paper it looks soooo much bigger than you thought it would.