What's everyone working on?

On ‎08‎/‎23‎/‎2017‎ ‎8‎:‎06‎:‎20‎, havanaholly said:

Were the dining room chairs a kit?  Otherwise, how did you make their backs?  I'm still trying to figure out intricate wooden chair backs in 1:12!

Have you tried using parts of the laser cut wooden fan blades?  You would need to glue a few together for strength, but they could look very nice.

On ‎08‎/‎27‎/‎2017‎ ‎4‎:‎31‎:‎25‎, havanaholly said:

Anna, perhaps a spray of catnip for the tree topper?  Rosalind, it's so great to see you popping in; are you up to anything new with minis?

Holly, thanks for inquiring!  I am still searching for my muse ... all I have done recently is to decorate and furnish my granddaughter's vintage wooden dollhouse for her.  She's four, so the furniture is mostly chunky kid-style.  I haven't been to the miniatures club in town for five years now, but I still hope to get back into the saddle sometime, so to speak.

I'm playing with wood veneer straps in the floors of the Van Buren.  Work on this house is slow.  This week has been hard on my ticker I think,  today I nearly fell out in the bathroom after taking my shower.  Good thing I have a cardiology appointment on the 5th.  I really want to get the interior done.   I have managed to paper 5 rooms (including entry hall) that leaves the kitchen, second floor hallway, and 3rd floor rooms.

October is National Dollhouse and Minatures Month. I'm using that to apply to our county library to set up displays in their glass cases to: draw new members to our club and begin advertising our show in March.  It's a very formal process applying for use of these cases; Application process,  photos of items, info on our club, setup and tear down deadlines. 

So I'm off to the library to measure the cases.....

• Like 3

Totally disheartened at the moment because the grouting on the San Franciscan has turned out to be a disaster. It's made an awful mess off my stonework so short off ripping it all off and starting again I'm not sure what to do. I feel like I am so terrible at this building thing at the moment, I'm ready to chuck the whole house in the bin, open a selling account on eBay, sell all my minis and get a new hobby... I don't take well to not being good at things and I mean really how hard could grouting be? :doh: Everyone else seems to be able to do it just fine. I sealed the stone beforehand but the grout just won't come off. Maybe I mixed it too dry. I've tried chiselling it off but I'm just doing more harm than good. Meh, it's a moot point because its done now. :cry:. Not sure whether I should pour more money into this build or just call it a day and start something else.:dog:

Ok Rant over

1 hour ago, Samusa said:

Totally disheartened at the moment because the grouting on the San Franciscan has turned out to be a disaster. It's made an awful mess off my stonework so short off ripping it all off and starting again I'm not sure what to do. I feel like I am so terrible at this building thing at the moment, I'm ready to chuck the whole house in the bin, open a selling account on eBay, sell all my minis and get a new hobby... I don't take well to not being good at things and I mean really how hard could grouting be? :doh: Everyone else seems to be able to do it just fine. I sealed the stone beforehand but the grout just won't come off. Maybe I mixed it too dry. I've tried chiselling it off but I'm just doing more harm than good. Meh, it's a moot point because its done now. :cry:. Not sure whether I should pour more money into this build or just call it a day and start something else.:dog:

Ok Rant over

Don't lose heart, my friend. First... Hugs. We've all been right where you are at this moment. Next... It's not that bad. I posted some suggestions on your blog. Last for now... Leave the building stuff aside for a while and start making up the kits and such. It's amazing how a few days away from a problem can totally change your perspective. Often, a solution just pops up out of the blue!

One lesson I learned the very hard way (and am still apparently learning) is to test everything first. But I get excited and impatient and instead of having joy I have bruises from where I kicked myself. 

More hugs, and I advise you buy something nice for yourself, right now. It helps...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Its_a_sm_world_after_all said:

Don't lose heart, my friend. First... Hugs. We've all been right where you are at this moment. Next... It's not that bad. I posted some suggestions on your blog. Last for now... Leave the building stuff aside for a while and start making up the kits and such. It's amazing how a few days away from a problem can totally change your perspective. Often, a solution just pops up out of the blue!

One lesson I learned the very hard way (and am still apparently learning) is to test everything first. But I get excited and impatient and instead of having joy I have bruises from where I kicked myself. 

More hugs, and I advise you buy something nice for yourself, right now. It helps...

Thanks Jodi.. I needed that pep talk (and the one on my blog :) ) quite a bit. I've been in a funk for the last 24 hrs about this but you have picked me up and dusted me off. I have thought about the moss idea and I was definitely going to use it at least around the bottom near the ground level because being a basement it would be prone to moss right? Washes I think are out because I experimented with them a bit to tone down the pink and I didn't really like what it did to the stone variation.. not that that matters much now.. lol

I do really like your paint idea, I'm really going to mull on that one because I've seen painted stone on rl houses and I really don't mind the look. Much to think about.. at the end of the day.. it's not the end of the world.. it just felt like it for a while.. :) It is supposed to be an old house after all.. maybe they have just been focusing on renovating the inside and the outside is still on the to do list. :bigwink:

I'm with you on the impatient band wagon.. I always have good intentions to test but no patience for it... I guess this will be one of many mistakes in my mini future.

8 hours ago, Samusa said:

Totally disheartened at the moment because the grouting on the San Franciscan has turned out to be a disaster.

Oh, Samantha.  I'm sorry things aren't going well.  It can be so frustrating, I know, but please don't give up and find another hobby.  We like you here, and you do good work!  (And seriously, you would give up that adorable little squirrel? Nooooo!)   I like the suggestions for painting and moss.  To be honest, when I looked at the pictures (admittedly on my cell phone on the way in to work), the somewhat funky grout already looked like moss to me. Maybe you can just paint it some shades of gray and green. :) On the plus side, your stairs are wonderful.  I love the trim on the sides and the beautiful oak treads.  You should be very happy with them.  I also agree with the glass of wine advice.  Or a cocktail.:cocktail:

5 hours ago, Samusa said:

Thanks Jodi.. I needed that pep talk (and the one on my blog :) ) quite a bit. I've been in a funk for the last 24 hrs about this but you have picked me up and dusted me off. I have thought about the moss idea and I was definitely going to use it at least around the bottom near the ground level because being a basement it would be prone to moss right? Washes I think are out because I experimented with them a bit to tone down the pink and I didn't really like what it did to the stone variation.. not that that matters much now.. lol

I do really like your paint idea, I'm really going to mull on that one because I've seen painted stone on rl houses and I really don't mind the look. Much to think about.. at the end of the day.. it's not the end of the world.. it just felt like it for a while.. :) It is supposed to be an old house after all.. maybe they have just been focusing on renovating the inside and the outside is still on the to do list. :bigwink:

I'm with you on the impatient band wagon.. I always have good intentions to test but no patience for it... I guess this will be one of many mistakes in my mini future.

That's our girl! The solution will come, as soon as you start focusing on something else.

If you haven't already, throw that stinky mosaic stuff in the trash. Our lovely @havanaholly convinced me of the wonders of spackle for grout. I still have to work quick and wipe often, but it is a much friendlier option. PM me before your next project and I will give you some copious tips that I have also learned the hard way.

Ah, havanaholly cheats and slops glue on the back of the pieces of whatever and sticks them into the spackle to look like grout, as I did with the seashell tabby on the Magnolia.  I have neither patience nor skill to fool with filling & wiping.

Sadly, the mobile version of the site does not show signatures, or the sidebar that displays names. :( So thanks for the link, I wanted to see too!

Samantha, I can see why it would stress you. So sorry it was hard. But, I kinda like it, and the more I looked at it, it grew on me. The brick foundation on my house is dirty and muddy like that. Maybe have some dirt around the house in your landscaping. 

And for the record, I would never have the patience to grout like that. So you're already doing better than me!

13 minutes ago, sparklepuppies said:

Sadly, the mobile version of the site does not show signatures, or the sidebar that displays names. :(

You're right.  I didn't think of that.  While you're on her blog, check out the little squirrel she got.  He is amazing!

• Like 1

Thanks for the link :) 

Samantha I can understand your frustration when something doesn't turn out the way you pictured. I think this house will be a show piece when finished whether you decide to leave it or redo it. 

1 hour ago, WyckedWood said:

Can someone post a link to the blog I wanna see what's going on too. 

As far as the lack of patience thing goes, that's my downfall too. And this hobby requires so much of it sometimes. 

It's in my signature or Deb has posted it above... Id post a pic here but it's too embarrassing.. lol Come on over and point and giggle.:p 

Now that I've put another day between it an me its kinda funny. :D Plus everyone's commiserations and encouragement has put some perspective on it. 

I had a bit of an emotional  melt down a couple of nights ago  and was at a loss as to what to work on to get myself back on track so I opened up my Fairfield box. I had earlier said I wasn't going to do it. Armed with a mask, and gloves with epipen close by I started to work on it. There was not as much sanding as I thought and I eventually discarded the mask and gloves and I was ok. I managed to get the base completed and most of the fireplace thingy done, although I haven't  a clue how that fits in or even what it looks like finished ??. I got the main house pieces prepped last night and will have a go at some assembly tonight.  I bought the upgrade kit so shan't be using some of the parts. Also today I picked up from my US mailbox  the batch of SDK kits I bought as a start to furnish it.

A  couple of questions for someone who has done this house. In the directions C,Staircase Sub Assembly. Do I need to do any of this as I have bought different staircases, or is some of it part of a wall.?

Same question re the  B, Chimney Sub Assembly which I don't understand , could I leave this out and buy fireplaces or is it part of the walls ?

When is the best time to paint and paper this wee baby.?

Earlier in this topic I saw pictures of a tiny house that was going into a competition, I thought the house was lovely, so charming.

I just took a look at that squirrel, he is priceless,  I would call him Samson, cos he looks like he so sweet with a big kind heart and he has a lot of fur for one so tiny.

1 hour ago, Jeannine said:

...A  couple of questions for someone who has done this house. In the directions C,Staircase Sub Assembly. Do I need to do any of this as I have bought different staircases, or is some of it part of a wall.?

Same question re the  B, Chimney Sub Assembly which I don't understand , could I leave this out and buy fireplaces or is it part of the walls ?

When is the best time to paint and paper this wee baby.?...

I dry fit my Fairfields several times.  The staircase fits against the first floor wall with the two doors:

foyer & foucault's pendulum.JPG

The second floor over that half of the house must fit down over the chimney sub assembly, so you will want to wait to install chimneybreasts & fireboxes until this is done.  I didn't do this with my first one, so I had to do some disassembly and reassembly to get it right (with more dry fitting in between).  I don't have any  "before" or "during" pictures, but hopefully you can see enough from my "after" picture to see what I mean:

The Kitchenright side out interior 1.JPG

It worked best for me to paint and paper and finish the fireplaces, etc, as I went floor by floor.

I hope this helps you.

Jeannine I was going to send you to Ginas blog, she's a member here who builds Greenleaf houses and gives detailed instructions with pictures for each step, but it appears that her MoreMinis instructions/pictures only exists on Facebook now and not on a separate blog. If you have a Facebook account look up MoreMinis, "like" her page and you might find more instruction for the Fairfield.